Cutting rifling

I have a carbide rifling broach, it goes from 0.351 on the lands to 0.358 on the groves.
I used dark cutting oil. Seems to work well. Cuts out to groves to about 0.356'' in 2 passes.
Dark cutting oil seems to work well.
Should I continue using the dark cutting oil or should I switch to something else?

I have no experience with cutting rifling, but have cut 1000's of threads with cutting oil. Dark seemed to give a better cut. Especially with cheap chinese pipe.

My point was that with inferior pipe, dark oil seems to give a better finish than with clear oil. I understand that there is a difference between threading pipe and cutting rifling.

This objective observation of mine on dark cutting oil, would lead me to think that it might have better properties than the clear cutting oil.

This product: https://www.carolinashooterssupply....UTTING-OIL-TAP-MAGIC-p/cncw-tap-magic-oil.htm

Is what I use when threading a gun barrel, in lieu of dark thread cutting oil. The above link is to a company that recommends it for use with their threading kits. It works great also.

Hope it helps.

Back