Cut Open: Fram XG8A 13,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: daman
i'd take these two over that so called synthetic filter anyday...I've dissected a XG, doesn't compare.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1494444

Those are tough.

Wow, if only they were in my application!
cry.gif

Ya the only down fall here application is VERY limited,just glad for me that i have the application.
Actually, I found a cross-reference from FRAM's website of all places to an AC-Delco that fits my Stratus. On AAP's site search PF53.

Would it have the same innards of a UPF52 as linked by daman?

I don't think so,the PF53 is just a run of the mill filter from what i'm seeing,if it was it would have UPF in front of the numbers.

there's always the RP filter one could use but price and availability are a factor there too.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: TTK
If there is a better filter on the market, I haven't seen it.

I totally agree with you....I am picking up some for the "fleet" next OCI for sure.

Fram has really step it up with this XG filter, but it's too pricy $11.97 at my local store.

This filter was run for 30% longer than its design specs. I believe it is a 10k miles filter per Fram.

+1......IMO you ran it to long....a M1EP would have been better for your OCI and good for at 15,000 OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
[quote)]

Fram has really step it up with this XG filter, but it's too pricy $11.97 at my local store.

Try you WallWorld....its under $9.00....so you can save yourdelf a few $$$.

Last edited:

No, the PF53 is not only shorter, but has different thread size and a bypass valve that you need. The '52s don't have any bypass.

Oh, I see.

i'd take these two over that so called synthetic filter anyday...I've dissected a XG, doesn't compare.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1494444

Those are tough.

Wow, if only they were in my application!
cry.gif

Ya the only down fall here application is VERY limited,just glad for me that i have the application.
Actually, I found a cross-reference from FRAM's website of all places to an AC-Delco that fits my Stratus. On AAP's site search PF53.

I don't think so,the PF53 is just a run of the mill filter from what i'm seeing,if it was it would have UPF in front of the numbers.

there's always the RP filter one could use but price and availability are a factor there too.

Yeah, I won't pay for a RP. I'll get an Amsoil, K&N, and M1 in that order before a RP unless it's on sale. At that point, it's overkill on top of overkill.
grin2.gif

Itslimjim, you can search for a Fleetguard match though. Problem with the UPF-XX filters is the limited selection unless you have a GM, as these are a GM filter.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Nice.

I still don't understand when people cut open an oil filter with only 5 or 6K miles, post pictures and some BITOG members are impressed. I just removed an oversized Purolator from a Honda with 18K miles (3 OCI's).

5k is the common OCI here, many people just want to see how the filter did at 5k.

However that fram looks great, if I ever did a 10k+ oci i'd use that filter.

So this means that Fram knows what should be in an oil filter. How do they justify selling the other quality levels?

Originally Posted By: widman
So this means that Fram knows what should be in an oil filter. How do they justify selling the other quality levels?

It's cheaper, and people keep buying them...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: widman

and people keep buying them...
grin.gif

Unfortunatly...

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
If there is a better filter on the market, I haven't seen it.

I totally agree with you....I am picking up some for the "fleet" next OCI for sure.

Its insane how much they want for an oil filter. Its just under $12 at my local WM and theres no way Id pay that much for a filter. I could get 5qts of Mobil Super for less than that.

$8 is pretty good. I'd pay that.

$8 isnt bad for a high quality filter. But Id rather pay $6 for a Pureone. Then get some tacos with the $2 I saved.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
$8 is pretty good. I'd pay that.

$8 isnt bad for a high quality filter. But Id rather pay $6 for a Pureone. Then get some tacos with the $2 I saved.

$8 is not bad. The Tough Guard is $7 at AutoZone. I'll rather stick with a Motorcraft for $4 and buy tacos and a burrito.

@Texan4Life... where is the seal? between honeywell filters and champ ecores... they seem to leave the filter only to find a new home on the engine. funny when people don't catch that before putting new filters on... they find out right after they fire it up and oil spews everywhere.

Originally Posted By: kemo
@Texan4Life... where is the seal? between honeywell filters and champ ecores... they seem to leave the filter only to find a new home on the engine. funny when people don't catch that before putting new filters on... they find out right after they fire it up and oil spews everywhere.

If I remember correctly it fell off when I was cutting it open. And I forgot to stick it back on before taking the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back