Curious about VI and MRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
EDYVW not sure what engine noise your hearing with M1. You hear this noise only in the cold?

From inside my GTI I can't even hear my motor running on M1.

Does the fact that M1 is SN vs SL of theGC mean anything?

I mean regular engine noise. It is rougher when you spin it to 4-5000 or 6000 rpm.
I do not think it has anything to do with Sl or SN, those are inferior requirements compare to MB 229.5 or similar.

Ok EDYVW my next oil changei will try the GC on your recommendation and see for myself. I mean we have the same engine and if you tried both and say GC makes for a quieter engine.... Well I just have to try it.

Jeff

Ok EDYVW my next oil changei will try the GC on your recommendation and see for myself. I mean we have the same engine and if you tried both and say GC makes for a quieter engine.... Well I just have to try it.

Jeff

It is not like you are putting in some bad oil. I tried M1 several times, it is great oil, i just think GC might be better in this application.
I will actually send for an analysis M1 after 5k, and GC after 5K (in my wife's Tig). Also, I will probably try next oil change Mobil1 5W30 M ESP due to lower SAPS, but great numbers (12.2cst, 3.58 HTHS, 254c flash point and very low pour point, meaning probably there is a lot of synthetic base inside). However I will run ESP 3-4K and sent it and see whether it is possible to go 5K on Colorado fuel.

Some very interesting posts. Thanks everyone.

So when does MRV values tend to have more impotence over VI? Right now outside my house it's 27F so my M1 0w40 in the crank of my VW siting outside is fine. If I drove to my nieces house in North Dakota where it is 5F as the high getting down to minus 20 to 30F at night I shouldn't use M1 0w40?

At this time what 502 approved oils would be adequate? Where is the line crossed when MRV values take over as to what oil to use?

Hope I'm not confusing anyone just trying to learn from you guys.

Thanks.

Jeff

For the umpteenth time, MRV and CCS will have little relevance to the vast majority of people in the continental United States. I don't even bother looking at those values.

Just pick something from the 502/505 list and drive, and obsess less over a situation that you doesn't apply to you. Have some faith in VW to approve oils that can handle cold temps, and to engineer their motors to withstand the abuse of repeated "cold" starts.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Some very interesting posts. Thanks everyone.

So when does MRV values tend to have more impotence over VI? Right now outside my house it's 27F so my M1 0w40 in the crank of my VW siting outside is fine. If I drove to my nieces house in North Dakota where it is 5F as the high getting down to minus 20 to 30F at night I shouldn't use M1 0w40?

At this time what 502 approved oils would be adequate? Where is the line crossed when MRV values take over as to what oil to use?

Hope I'm not confusing anyone just trying to learn from you guys.

Thanks.

Jeff

For the umpteenth time, MRV and CCS will have little relevance to the vast majority of people in the continental United States. I don't even bother looking at those values.

Just pick something from the 502/505 list and drive, and obsess less over a situation that you doesn't apply to you. Have some faith in VW to approve oils that can handle cold temps, and to engineer their motors to withstand the abuse of repeated "cold" starts.

In very few states you have winters like in Norther Europe. Those cars are designed for very cold temperatures. I was starting my tdi in Europe on -40c, no issues, so TSI in CA will do perfectly fine with 5W40 or 0W40 or 0W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back