Cummins 6.7L general questions

I don’t want to “tune” or delete it so that doesn’t concern me. There’s a major problem with the cold air intake which has the air heater at a nut can fall off on go right into tge valve train or cylinder. There’s a fix to it from Banks.

Grid heater bolt failure.

Side note where do you get your oil filters from I mean there’s OE Mopar, Fleet Gaurd, Wix an Napa same as wix but what store is the best place to purchase them?
buy the Mopar 6.7 Cummins oil filter at Walmart for like 17$. It has 9 oil holes instead of 6 holes like the wix and others..

What is going to be the difference between a 15w40 and a 5w40 conforming to the same spec at a typical above zero temperature?
Probably the service bulletin that was brought up by another person in this thread from Cummins saying for the new 6.7 not to use 15W40 is why

the one and only reason I know of that Mopar is speccing a 5w40 or 10w30 and specifically precludes using 15w40 in the current 5th generation 6.7 is because Mopar claims 15w40 caused hydraulic lifter problems in the 5th generation engine.. 15w40 is not a problem in the 2018 and older engines. chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10178698-9999.pdf

the one and only reason I know of that Mopar is speccing a 5w40 or 10w30 and specifically precludes using 15w40 in the current 5th generation 6.7 is because Mopar claims 15w40 caused hydraulic lifter problems in the 5th generation engine.. 15w40 is not a problem in the 2018 and older engines. chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10178698-9999.pdf
Yeah and they are kinda vague as to the reason why. Deposits in the hydraulic lifters. No mention of lack of lubrication because of viscosity. Would a full synthetic 15-40 be compatible? Different people have been running 5-40 in the 18 and older vehicles for years with no problems.

Link. Does not work

Yeah and they are kinda vague as to the reason why. Deposits in the hydraulic lifters. No mention of lack of lubrication because of viscosity. Would a full synthetic 15-40 be compatible? Different people have been running 5-40 in the 18 and older vehicles for years with no problems.

I have no idea why a 1540 would cause deposits and a 5 40 wouldn't or even if it is really true. ... that is Mopars story and they are sticking to it. 5w40 has been allowable for many years in these engines..

about the only advantage I can think of in a 10w30 vs a 5w40 is the 10w30 HDEO's are generally available as a non synthetic oil, which may make them slightly cheaper... currently since there is so much market saturation of the 5w40's and the 10w30's are relatively new, the pricing structure is almost the same for dino 10w30 or synthetic 5w40.

you'll have to highlight it and paste it in the address bar... I couldn't figure out how to post it so it would take you right there..

Your links are broken because you're using chrome which messes up the URL when you load a PDF from the web.

You have to copy your full url, then strip out everything here:
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/

Real URLs that others can click on and visit always start with "http://" or "https://", all chars before that substring need to be discarded before posting it in a message here.

So this is what you should end up with:

I remember when that TSB was posted here before, it sounds as if they are assuming a 40-grade with a 15W winter rating would be less likely to be synthetic than one with a 5W rating, and is subsequently more prone to deposits.

The 15w-40 is the standard fare in the GM 6.6L V8 Duramax diesel and an option in the Ford 6.7L Powerstroke, but with the hydraulic lifters in 2019+ Cummins specifically says not to run the 15w-40 oil.

It gets below 0 degrees for just 3 months? Remember, the Cummins via the owners manual is talking about 0°F here, not °C which is 32°F. It might get cold enough to snow or even get below freezing for a few days at a time here in Texas, but it doesn't get below 0°F.

I haven't decided yet which oil viscosity to use when I get to the my first oil change on my new MY23 Ram 2500 Cummins. Coming from GM I believe their 0w-20 viscosities were heavily influenced by the EPA and hated to use it on my 6.2L V8 when 5w-30 and then 0w-40 are what they are calling for on the same long block in other vehicles like Camaro and Corvette.

An interesting thing that I wanted to share and get other's here's opinions is on the Shell Rotella T6 10w-30. Although recently released, it's still hard to get but you can order it on Amazon for reasonable prices. But it's product specs are what prompted me to clarify with Shell whether or not they were indeed correct. Shell is saying that their Rotella T6 10w-30 has a 14.7 cSt at 100°C kinematic viscosity which places it in the 40 weight oil category, not the 30 weight that the rating on the bottle says. Most other CK-4 10w-30's are running between 11.0 and 12.1cSt at 100°C.

The Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 only has a 14.9 cSt kinematic viscosity at 100°C for comparison's sake. Given that, the oil viscosities appear to be nearly identical, but I do like the 5w-40's -51°C pour point a lot better than the 10w-30's -39°C, not to mention that the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is widely available and even less expensive.

Another interesting tidbit is that while the owner's manual specifically mentions the Shell Rotella by name, Cummins officially endorses Valvoline, (kind of like the way Mobil1 is endorsed by Corvette.) So if Ram and Cummins are using Rotella T6 10w-30 as factory fill, they're essentially using a 40 weight oil by spec and that is in part what makes me so unsure as to which direction to go. If a high 14 cSt is indeed what Cummins prefers, I'd rather go with the 5w-40 Rotella T6 with it's -51°C pour point.
Yeah it looks like a 10-40 like the t5 10-40 they used to market. Considerably thicker than 5-40 at 40*C.
The t6 10-30 looks good but the T6 5-40 is cheaper and more available.

At temperatures that don’t need a block heater to start your vehicle I don’t see where a 5w40 and a 15w40 in the same spec (let’s say syn blend or synthetic ck4) is going to make any significant difference. If they had specified 5w30 and 10w30 then it’d make sense.

The only inference is that at extremely low temperatures that engine prefers a 5w or at most a 10w to a 15w, and there just isn’t any recent 10w40 on the market that I know of.

Your links are broken because you're using chrome which messes up the URL when you load a PDF from the web.

You have to copy your full url, then strip out everything here:
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/

Real URLs that others can click on and visit always start with "http://" or "https://", all chars before that substring need to be discarded before posting it in a message here.

So this is what you should end up with:
That’s great information

When i tested the 10w30 in my 2017, the typical properties were listed as 12cst for virgin oil. After my drive cycles in a full index, even with over 2% fuel on one of them, the oil was 11.47cst. I would say that is pretty stout.

Back