Cummins 6.7L general questions

If 40 grade is acceptable in 0F Temps no reason it can't be run in summer temperatures.

Thank but I stick with what’s recommended. And not to be insulting I just want to be clear what a person does with their own equipment is there business; and that’s all well and good for them I just have to say thank you for your input but the truck I am working to own does not recommend 15W40 either by Cummins or Ram.

yes, DO NOT put 15w-40 in a 2019 model year or newer 6.7 Cummins.

This is on my 22 2500.

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpeg
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 109
Thanks but I just want to run on multi-grade oil and not change it out for just 3 months.

most over the counter 10w30 diesel oil is going to a synthetic blend. Theres full synthetic 10w30 diesel oil but you usually have to order it only. All 5w40 diesel oil will be synthetic.

Honestly id run 5w40 year 'round and not worry about it. and make sure its CK-4 diesel oil.

yeah, on the Fifth Generation Cummins in the Ram trucks they got with the mid 20th century on engine technology, tightened up the clearances, used hydraulic valve adjusters instead of flat tappets and a CGI block and came up with the 10/30 as the recommended oil.

the valve train was changed in 2019 but im not sure what else rly changed from a tolerance standpoint.

Thanks but I just want to run on multi-grade oil and not change it out for just 3 months.
I’m running 5-40 in mine but I’m not in a climate like the Arctic. A cold day for us might get down to the high teens but only for a day or two. Had a pretty warm summer though 100-106 for weeks with no rain. But haven’t done any UOA’s so can’t really give any proof that it’s working or not.

I’m running 5-40 in mine but I’m not in a climate like the Arctic. A cold day for us might get down to the high teens but only for a day or two. Had a pretty warm summer though 100-106 for weeks with no rain. But haven’t done any UOA’s so can’t really give any proof that it’s working or not.
I appreciate it. Where I live it gets nasty cold December to about Feb then it gets warmer. I just don’t want to change it for just a few weeks

I appreciate it. Where I live it gets nasty cold December to about Feb then it gets warmer. I just don’t want to change it for just a few weeks

The recommendation in the owners manual is a little odd because it rarely stays in a constant negative in the US for long. From what I’ve researched on the 6.7 Cummins they are designed to run on 40 weight oil (such as 5w-40) but due to constant pressure from those epa ****bags, Cummins probably opted for the 10w-30 to please the government as 10w-30
Can net a 1-2% increase in fuel economy due to the lower rotational resistance of the 30 weight oil.

The recommendation in the owners manual is a little odd because it rarely stays in a constant negative in the US for long. From what I’ve researched on the 6.7 Cummins they are designed to run on 40 weight oil (such as 5w-40) but due to constant pressure from those epa ****bags, Cummins probably opted for the 10w-30 to please the government as 10w-30
Can net a 1-2% increase in fuel economy due to the lower rotational resistance of the 30 weight oil.
I'm sure the 10w30 will do fine.

The trucks I service are in central Indiana (Indianapolis) many transporters. Lots go to northern Indiana to get RVs and transport to dealers. It could be -10 one morning and they could be in Atlanta that evening and it might be 60

It’s easier to stock the 5w40 only and use it year round plus it the T6 (better) than the t5 10w30

I seriously doubt that this change was due to EPA, 2500's and 3500's are not subject to the same requirements as cars and half tons.

As mentioned, the viscosity change was due to the hydraulic lifters.

I seriously doubt that this change was due to EPA, 2500's and 3500's are not subject to the same requirements as cars and half tons.

As mentioned, the viscosity change was due to the hydraulic lifters.
Viscosity hasn't changed

Viscosity hasn't changed

depends on what particular engine you are talking about.
Standard 6.7 rear gear train models still call for 15w40 right up to the current MY.
but the front gear train 6.7 with hydraulic lash adjusters used in the Rams pickups after 2019 calls for 10w30 engine oil.. or 5w40..

Back