Cruze vs. Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Cruze that I traded in because of issues that the dealer couldn't (or wouldn't) fix (loss of coolant and a horrible, sickening coolant odor). This seems to be quite common as there is a CA lawsuit on this issue. Aside from that it was a nice car and the 1.4T had enough power.

I'm not a fan of Chryslers and the marriage to Fiat doesn't help.

I know you didn't ask but my 2014 Focus is the best handling (economy) car I've ever driven.

Drive them both and ask how much prominent wear items cost to replace/fix, or go online and download their manuals for the maintenance schedules. This is really a very subjective question that only the prospective owner can answer by testing each one. Not BITOG, Consumer reports, or Car & Driver etc.

The Dart is based on the Alfa Romeo Guilietta.However its been radically modified for our consumption.Its a better car to Cruze in a number of ways from looks to underseat storage to LED taillights and big touch screen.And the steering wheel isn't glued on like the ones that fell off the early Cruze cars.I would get the manual,because I hear the automatics are very busy and never know what gear to be in at a particular time.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Gut says Cruze here. While not a huge fan of turbos, seems GM has fixed most of the little issues with it. They drive/handle well for a small car, and do pretty well MPG wise....

Go with the Cruze. There is a reason the market has largely ignored the Vart. And being a Chrysler, it would be bottom of the barrel.

But he should buy what he likes best - otherwise it will be "your fault"...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
the Cruze looks like the Daewoo it really is.

The Cruze is not a badge-engineered Daewoo or a Suzuki or anything else. It may wear Daewoo badging in other parts of the world, but it's a Chevrolet, not the other way around.

Cruze. Mine's been a trooper, and is still a fun to drive car. GM and the local dealer taken care of the well-known water pump issues to my satisfaction and on their dime, so I'm a happy camper for service.

If he's a DIY type, it's easy to work on the Cruze. That engine bay is huge to accommodate physically larger N/A and diesel powerplants, so the little 1.4T is swimming in there. Get a Mityvac 7201 and topside oil changes happen quickly. Parts are also available everywhere and are cheap. There's also a good knowledge base about the car, so that helps.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I've been stuck with the Cruze as a rental car a few times. I nearly started sobbing the last time I rented a car and they told me I was getting a Cruze because I hate that car so much. Everything about the car is horrible. The only thing I can say positive about it is the scissor jack in with the spare tire it comes with is a pretty good design.

I'm surprised at such hatred for this car. I rented a Cruze LTZ when in Florida and I loved it (and I am no fan of Chevy). Only complaint I had was it got at best the same mileage as my Accord with not nearly the ride. But its smaller and much more nimble.

In the past though, rented both the Chevy Cobalt and the Dodge Caliber. Both were dreadful.

I've been stuck with the Cruze as a rental car a few times. I nearly started sobbing the last time I rented a car and they told me I was getting a Cruze because I hate that car so much. Everything about the car is horrible. The only thing I can say positive about it is the scissor jack in with the spare tire it comes with is a pretty good design.

Oh, the horror. How did you find a way to go on with life and not just end it all right there at the Hertz counter?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Try getting handed the keys to a Versa, Elantra or Galant. You'll be begging for keys to a Cruze.

I'd rather have any of those...at least I FIT in them! I was more cramped in that Cruze than in my wife's Geo Metro.

I'd pick the Dart. I test drove one with the 2.4 and it's a very nice car. I would have gotten one because you can get a manual but my Avenger had a $3500 rebate. My Avenger has a 6.5 Uconnect as well. I love my Uconnect.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Drive them both and ask how much prominent wear items cost to replace/fix, or go online and download their manuals for the maintenance schedules. This is really a very subjective question that only the prospective owner can answer by testing each one. Not BITOG, Consumer reports, or Car & Driver etc.

^^^ This

I test drove both vehicles in early January when I was looking to purchase a new car. Drove the Dart with the 2.0L n/a. Im 6ft 3 inches and could barely get in and out of the car -- huge turnoff from the get go and overall -- interior did not fit me one bit. It had the manual gear box and car was a total dud from the get go in all gears. I am partial to MOPAR so me saying that is not going well with my gut. On the other hand I test drove the Eco Cruz with the 1.4L turbo and 6spd manual. Had plenty of leg/head room from the get go. Car had alot of punch to it in the whole 2 miles I drove it. Overall/hands down I would have bought the Cruz if I had to decide from them two options. Just my personal experience and opinion!!

The one he prefers really to look at and drive. No clear winner in this class, just different attributes for a different folks/tastes.

You can even tell in posts it is random stuff that appeals. Maybe look, comfort, or even brand preference. Even nutty comparisons of gokarts(Geo Metro) to a modern them.

The nice thing about modern cars is mostly all pretty decent and not bad choices like years past.

I drove a Sonic LTZ with the same 1.4T as the Cruze for a couple of weeks. I was completely surprised by the character of the engine with the 6-sp AUTO. The shift points were pretty low, like 1500-2000 rpm and the thing cruised on the highway at pretty low RPM, too.

Either 1.4t would be considered the better option and better represent "the present" in terms of automotive technology. In general, there's a big difference between the 1.8 and the 1.4t in the Cruze and the 2.0 and the 1.4t in the Dart. The smaller turbo engine option for many makes is the "driver's choice". The low RPM thing at freeway speeds is a huge draw to the Cruze as far as I'm concerned. I really liked the GM 1.4t when I was test driving cars a couple years ago but eventually went elsewhere. I used to work for Chrysler in the late 80s and they still scare me so I'm not the most unbiased on that count.

I really liked the Cruze's 1.4t the few times I drive it. Cruze interior is a tiny bit cramped...reminds me of a Mazda3 in that regard.

Haven't been in a dart, but just because I liked the 1.4t I would lean towards the Cruze.

Last edited:
Just to add to the discussion a bit...there was a display of Chryco vehicles at our local mall the other day, and I sat in a Dart, because I really like the look of them.

I'm not a tall guy (5'6"); and my head almost touched the roof when I got in! I couldn't believe how small it was on the inside. Now, with some adjustment of the seat...etc..I'm sure it would be fine, but car was a LOT smaller than I thought.

Lots of good stuff so far I can give info to my buddy..thank you guys.(You can keep it going, of course
smile.gif
)

Interesting enough, I can get good discounts on both myself, and will be hunting a small car this summer. So maybe at some point, could be useful for me too... Granted, I'm from a GM family, and own GM cars-so everybody assumes I'll get a Cruze. While I do like it, I do like the Civic and Dart as well.

One thing I do know is that he wants it to last, as he/family will drive it into the ground...and he does take good care of his cars....
thumbsup2.gif

The Cruze is better than the Dart, but keep in mind that Chevy's Cruze has led all late model vehicles in the total number of recalls ands/or TSB's for the past 3 years.

It's been all over the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back