Creepy Toyotas???

It sounds like it can be fixed with a software update.

Also, how often are people leaving their vehicle in neutral without the brake depressed?

Last edited:
People think software is easy. It's not.

My take is that people think Toyota is better built, but it's not. This is just more proof.

What Toyota does is build really old platforms with new parts and when you do that long enough your average vehicle becomes better when all the bugs are finally worked out.

If you buy a newly designed Toyota you get the same issues as everyone else.

The latest Tundra is proof of this as well.

My take is that people think Toyota is better built, but it's not. This is just more proof.

What Toyota does is build really old platforms with new parts and when you do that long enough your average vehicle becomes better when all the bugs are finally worked out.

If you buy a newly designed Toyota you get the same issues as everyone else.

The latest Tundra is proof of this as well.
I am not up on newer ICE vehicles, but it does seem like the new Tundras are not as reliable as my old 2001.
220K and pretty much never seen the inside of a garage. I just service the heck outta it but never check the oil.
1708622004741.jpg

Ah, this is an improvement. In 2017, they had an astonishing amount of issues with Aisin 8 speed in Highlander and Sienna AWD, and they never recalled them. My friend was 36 or 38 times at a dealer with Highlander, and they never wanted to replace the transmission; they were trying to resolve issues with the software, claiming the transmission was ok. Then he lost patience and said: how about trade, and they calculated trade, minus BAD transmission. He traded it for, hear this out, Chrysler.

Ah, this is an improvement. In 2017, they had an astonishing amount of issues with Aisin 8 speed in Highlander and Sienna AWD, and they never recalled them. My friend was 36 or 38 times at a dealer with Highlander, and they never wanted to replace the transmission; they were trying to resolve issues with the software, claiming the transmission was ok. Then he lost patience and said: how about trade, and they calculated trade, minus BAD transmission. He traded it for, hear this out, Chrysler.
Modern Toyotas and Hondas are overhyped and overpriced. Then again, what isn't these days?

My Toyota experience started decades ago with a low mileage, used '87 Camry. If you parked it for more than a couple of weeks it had a nasty knock on start-up.

A long time passed before the next Toyota, the LS400. It set my expectations pretty high - it ain't a run of the mill Toyota. Other than labor of long interval maintenance, no complaints (meaning I can actually diagnose and repair it myself).

The 2021 Highlander is on another much lower level. Since the rains this winter, a lot of suspension creeks and knocks have exposed themselves - but only when it rains. Once the weather clears, I'm going to have to crawl underneath and check the struts. I'll have to remember to check for creepy neutral next time I take it out.

Back