Credit Card Issue

Have a GM card through Marcus. I have had this card for at least twenty years and paid it in full every month so I would presume I am a decent customer. Just took a trip to Florida and used the card. On coming home, I started getting these $1.95 charges so I called them this AM and they decided to issue a new card. I received an Email saying the new card was authorized and I would be getting it in about a week or so, Then I get ANOtHER email saying charges are being made to the new number and I need to authorize the card to allow the charges! In the fifteen or so minutes between a new number being assigned and the second Email, charges were being made on the cars!!!!

What is going on? Sounds to me like a massive security breach. Thoughts? Actions to take?

I wouldn't do anything until I know what the "new" charges are. It's possible you had some automatic monthly charges on the old card that somehow got rolled onto the new card. If that's not the case, it's a situation for the card's fraud department.

Get stuff in writing. Make sure you have written statements showing the charges, and follow the instructions on the statement to initiate a written dispute. This sounds silly over a small amount but it is the only thing that will preserve your legal rights.

Think who/what has instant access to your NEW card number

Think of what you added the new number to right away

These don’t need a password

Number
Expire date
Magic number

Maybe zip code

I have experienced the more powerful credit agencies, credit/privacy protection agencies and even Turbo tax have access to NEW card information without specifically supplying it.

The $1.95 charges are scam "subscription" charges.

These forward to new card numbers as a "convenience." Imagine subscribing to a magazine, they charge your card annually, but your expiration date (or number) changed and now it's "inconvenient" that you have to update it.

Tell your bank they're fraudulent, and just shut everything down. Tell your bank if they don't fix this for real you'll have to close things for good and go somewhere else with your business. Don't talk to the first foreign operator you get, talk to someone in the fraud department.

I take it you have GM Bucks you want to preserve, not sure how that would work.

The $1.95 charges are scam "subscription" charges.

These forward to new card numbers as a "convenience." Imagine subscribing to a magazine, they charge your card annually, but your expiration date (or number) changed and now it's "inconvenient" that you have to update it.

Tell your bank they're fraudulent, and just shut everything down.
Sounds like that but what does his online account say?

I had something happen similar to this. I wanted to have a Zelle or Venmo account set up, but had to have a debit card. Never had one as I always use a CC and pay it off in full every month. Within one week, I had a $10 charge on the card. The only people who had anything to do with the card were me, my CU and Zelle/Venmo. I had to cancel anyways due to my Republic Wireless number being listed as a landline and those pay apps required it to be a mobile number. Never found out who/what/how, but still.

I never let my CC out of sight when traveling to Florida, fuel stations are cash only locations for me when there. Just one of many incidents was when my cousin had his CC compromised while fueling up at a station. My bank tells us never to swipe or tap; chip method only, and I've been told Florida is the CC fraud capital of the USA. Macy's even wanted to see my passport once when paying with a CC. At home, anything under $25 is paid by cash in order spot suspicious activity at a quick glance.

I try to pay cash as much as possible . The only time I use my Debit is at the ATM to get cash and at one of the two grocery stores I shop at . I still pay by check for the bills I get in the Mail .

I recently ordered two drones for $140. As soon as I hit order I knew it was a scam. Never got an order number or receipt or even a print screen for receipt. So I immediately locked the card. Waited a couple of days for an email and never got one. Could not look up my order at the website.

So I got ahold of US Bank and said it's a scam, told them what happened. They refunded the money as they continued to investigate. Sent me a letter I had to sign saying I never go the items.

Then the items arrived, I assume after US Bank contacted them. Obviously a display unit and used boxes. One controller was broken but both worked with the other one.

I let US Bank know and they again sent me a letter asking if I have received the items. I said I did but they were broke, the company did not return my email as to what to do about them.

US Bank closed the investigation with the original refund intact.

Marcus is looking to offload the GM Card to another financial organization. They are rather incompetent at running a retail credit card.

That's good news.
I still have one that I have had for 20+ years.
I use it to pay Mrs. Tdbo's Medical insurance, the internet bill, and our streaming service to keep it active.
It was a decent card when HSBC, and even Capital One had it.
It is no longer my go to card. If it wasn't one of my older cards, I'd go ahead and cancel it.

Back