CPO BMW missing lug nut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first impression is that the dealer used an incorrect ATF and oil filter. MY 91 BMW ticks at startup when below freezing, the rest of the time it only has injector tick when hot (and new injectors tick too).

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My first impression is that the dealer used an incorrect ATF and oil filter. MY 91 BMW ticks at startup when below freezing, the rest of the time it only has injector tick when hot (and new injectors tick too).

Dealers never change the ATF for CPO certification as it is not required until 100k.

If the ticking happens while cold and it ticks about 5 times per second, then it's the hydraulic lifters. I'm surprised the mechanic didn't realize this. It's very common on those cars. If you make lots of short trips in cold weather you'll experience it. It's caused by air getting into the lifters. It goes away if the engine sustains >3000 rpm for longer periods of time, which bleeds the air

Quote:
He told me that they had already gone over this car with a fine tooth comb!!!!
If true, sounds as though the comb used must have been missing some teeth the day they went over your car. Missing a lug is a fairly big miss, IMO. Think I'd be CPO'ed, with the poor showing of the CPO program here from the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Hold your ground and don't let them [censored] you, any more than they already have.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's not dangerous to drive to get a new one. To be sure, you'll want to get a new one as soon as you can. As long as the other four are tight, you'll be fine to drive to replace it.

Walk around your local mall parking lot. It'd amaze you how many vehicles you can spot with missing lug nuts. They've probably been that way for months or years.

OMG, when I read that part I thought you were going to say "Maybe you'll find another 328i that you can get a lug nut from".....

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Don't BMW's come with lug BOLTS?

Yes sorry my mistake it was a lug bolt that was missing. there was just an empty hole.

So I took the car back to the dealer friday night and told them I didn't need a loaner car. So they called me saturday morning and told me they were about to start and made sure of the things I wanted them to look for when they started it up and also made sure my info was correct in their system. Thats the last I heard so maybe I'll hear something from them on Monday.

So another update:

They said they updated the progamming on the transmission and now its shifting better. They tightened some of the suspention components and they think they fixed the creaking noise but they are not sure because its raining today so they want to drive it again when its not raining to be sure. They also said they need to keep the car for an extra couple days to replace the lifters because they are bad. Thats why I was getting a loud tick at start up. I guess its all fine because its getting fixed but this is all stuf they should have found when they inspected it to be CPO.

I work at a BMW dealer (in sales). The lifter noise issue is very common. I am not sure what determines if the lifters have to be replaced; I've noticed in many cars the noise goes away when the car is warmed up. Just be darn sure you use the right weight approved oil for your BMW!

Originally Posted By: BGK
I work at a BMW dealer (in sales). The lifter noise issue is very common. I am not sure what determines if the lifters have to be replaced; I've noticed in many cars the noise goes away when the car is warmed up. Just be darn sure you use the right weight approved oil for your BMW!

Sure will if I even drive the car long enough to change the oil. I didn't have a chance yet in the 2 weeks I've owned it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Just go buy another lugnut. Did the car come with new tires? I have had tire changes before where one lug nut was not tight enough and discovered it came off a week later when I was washing my car. No big deal.

That should never happen if they are installed properly using a torque wrench.

I would like you to find a commercial tire shop that uses torque wrenches instead of impact wrenches.

Firestone uses a torque wrench. They stated to me it was company policy and the local manager told me he'd fire an employee that didn't use one. I know because he fired a guy that didn't use one on my truck.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Just go buy another lugnut. Did the car come with new tires? I have had tire changes before where one lug nut was not tight enough and discovered it came off a week later when I was washing my car. No big deal.

That should never happen if they are installed properly using a torque wrench.

I would like you to find a commercial tire shop that uses torque wrenches instead of impact wrenches.

Local OK Tire I used to deal with always used a torque wrench. Was store policy.

I always stand there and watch after I tell them I only want a torque wrench used and not the impact gun. Everytime they use the impact gun my front brakes warp.

Originally Posted By: BGK

The lifter noise is quite common, my wife has a 2008 X3 and if she uses it for many short trips of 2 miles or less in a row the lifter makes a ticking noise Google "N52 lifter noise" for more info. As for the CPO process, its only as good as your dealer. We bought an Audi A6 CPO that was 6 months old and they missed a thing or two. You have the warranty to make thing right, but IMO they get the money for CPOing the car but dont do all they should

Last edited:
The 2004.5 A4 my cuz bought 2 weeks ago got an OP light from sludge.

Lucky, Audi has extended warranty. plus NJ used car 1mo/1000mi. Still, an Audi dealer shouldn't let a marginal car out the door.

CPO = marketing
CPO = you got taken buy a used car saleman
CPO ≠ good vehicle
CPO ≠ dealer honesty

Lifter noise is just one of many consumer complaints about the ultimate driving machine.

Any noise in the valvetrain is typically due to increased clearances which means excessive wear. It's not good at all.

And the whole CPO thing is one of the many reasons we do not usually 'deal' with Stealerships!

Your profile being accurate there should be 2 Discount Tire stores within ~13-15 miles of your home. Use a torque wrench, each and every time. Also MI is where DT started. Even if you didn't buy your tires there, they will rotate them FOC.

CPO is still better on average than non-CPO.

If our Audi had been CPO, the extended warranty would have saved me big bucks. It is less expensive to make CPO used BMW payments than it was to keep the A4 perfect with no car payments.

With the Audi we figured we were good - low miles, owned by my brother, well maintained by the dealer with records (pages of them). By the 30k mark the entire interior had been replaced under warranty so it was like new. The tranny was done under warranty at 12k. The stereo system shortly after. But man, when the warranty ran out, all bets were off. Coils, diversion valves, the whole PCV system disintegrated - twice, the alternator pulley went out, the dipstick broke, the dipstick tube broke, the hood release broke, oil leaked out faster than it could be refilled. Inner cv joints went on both sides requiring dual axle replacement - best guess is that they were mishandled when the tranny was pulled - no warranty for that. Random icons on the dashboard about dipper lights that weren't out. Rear cam chain tensioner went bad, etc, etc, etc. I think the car would have imploded before 70k (and yet I have a friend with an identical car that has been trouble free!) which just makes the sting that much worse.

It was quite a shock coming from a line of maximas that never needed anything other than an occasional coil pack.

Now we will not buy a used car without a CPO program, even if their inspection is lame, your are still covered - you might just have to fight for it.

Our CPO BMW had a few items missed on their list, but we got them to address them. On their list it actually said , "car pulls to left". When we picked it up it still pulled to left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back