COSTCO batteries

I am not familiar with AGM batteries in a car. Is the intermittant failure a known AGM problem?
not an agm issue, its a rare battery issue but can happen with any battery. physically bad internal connection.

I had one that would intermittantly drop a couple cells and wouldnt start car.. measured ~~ 8-9volts IIRC. but of course it would start working again.
I had no warranty issue because it was 5 years old.. just replaced it once we determined it wasnt bad starter etc.

Dont ask me what kind of construction failure it was.. I didnt disassemble it to find out..

Last edited:
not an agm issue, its a rare battery issue but can happen with any battery. physically bad internal connection.

I had one that would intermittantly drop a couple cells and wouldnt start car.. measured ~~ 8-9volts IIRC. but of course it would start working again.
I had no warranty issue because it was 5 years old.. just replaced it once we determined it wasnt bad starter etc.

Dont ask me what kind of construction failure it was.. I didnt disassemble it to find out..

Is that guy cutting open a battery and touching lead without any eye or hand protection? :oops:

That would never, ever happen at a WM or Sam's Club. I got ripped a new one recently at Sam's Club while trying to warranty an AGM with an intermittent issue.
It's happened for me. I had a cheapie Value line battery have a cell go bad and they took it back at my local WM with no questions asked. It would read 12.6v resting but dropped to 10.3 if you turned on the headlights so a simple volt meter test would have passed. They just took it back without even testing. It might have been different I took it to a big one with an automotive shop, but this one didn't.

It's happened for me. I had a cheapie Value line battery have a cell go bad and they took it back at my local WM with no questions asked. It would read 12.6v resting but dropped to 10.3 if you turned on the headlights so a simple volt meter test would have passed. They just took it back without even testing. It might have been different I took it to a big one with an automotive shop, but this one didn't.
How long ago was this? They changed their policy in 4/2020. Testing is now required.

02D7DC10-8A31-4A0A-9F59-0C86A61BB705.jpeg

It was a couple years ago, so before then. I can see why they would do it, though. Somebody leaves their lights on in the parking lot and runs the battery down or they have a bad alternator so they just exchange it.

I thought Walmart used a Midtronics tested and if it failed you got a new battery if within the warranty period. So need receipt or they use the battery mfg date. I only had one replaced at Walmart and it was several years ago.

Well, if I had a battery that I knew had a intermittent internal short, but it wouldn't fail the Midtronics test on command, I might be tempted to hook a 12v draw to it and leave it there for a week or two until it was deader than dead. Then I might put my lab power supply on it and let her rip for another few days. Pretty sure it would fail after that.

Costco replaced my battery a second time, so I got a free 3rd battery. I guess I got lucky with the counter lady pushing the transaction through beyond the coverage period. Must have been my charm and massive beer belly that woo'd her.

I've always been pleased with the warranty coverage of Costco batteries, their pro-rated formula seems quite fair when I've returned a 55 month old one.

Not the ones currently sold in the US. They're some sort of Interstate distributed battery with only a full 36 month replacement.

And when I've gotten a warranty service it was strictly as a refund of the original purchase price. If they didn't record a core replacement I would also get my previous core replacement fee back. I will say that when I returned a 7 year old Kirkland Signature battery (before the switch to Interstate) I got something like a 15% return of the original price.

I have had lead acid batteries with dead cells on 15 year old batteries. Would still start the car and pass a load test. Only way to show someone the cell was dead would be to put it on charge and watch the one cell not charge. Never had any battery with an intermittant no start issue

I’ve been going with Costco Interstate batteries the last couple of times I needed one. Stopped getting the Menards AC Delco batteries because while they will start my car, they tend to have little voltage quirks that trip the Check Engine light. It’s a shame because they have adequate power. Group 49 batteries that I might use in a solar lighting project.

I got a battery for the 2004 Ford Taurus I recently sold, and one for the Jaguar. No issues or complaints, but how could there be with how new they are? 😉

I didn’t get a new Group 49 ( aka H8) there though… their online battery finder says my “local” Costco has none. I went to my local farm and fleet, a place where you can buy horse stuff, clothes, a revolver, and a 950 CCA battery for the Charger. No problem at all… 😀.

No, I didn’t buy the other stuff, but you could..

I thought Walmart used a Midtronics tested and if it failed you got a new battery if within the warranty period. So need receipt or they use the battery mfg date. I only had one replaced at Walmart and it was several years ago.
the two Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries I bought required the serial number to be input upon purchase so there is no need (they say) to keep the receipt...I keep it anyway but there you go...

I would agree that Costco would be easier to get replaced in my experience with other purchase/returns there...the batteries that I have cross shopped between Walmart and Interstate Costco were both made by Johnson Controls/Clarios and had the same specs and warranty so I used price as my guide...sometimes Walmart was cheaper (by enough an amount for me to go there) and sometimes Costco was better...

Bill

I have had lead acid batteries with dead cells on 15 year old batteries. Would still start the car and pass a load test. Only way to show someone the cell was dead would be to put it on charge and watch the one cell not charge. Never had any battery with an intermittant no start issue
While the Op's issue is rare. I have never had a 15 year old battery with a dead cell that would start a car.. and you had more than one so that must be like winning the battery lottery.... :unsure:
What brand(s) were these 15 year old batteries with dead cells that would still start a car.. I want to buy one.

While the Op's issue is rare. I have never had a 15 year old battery with a dead cell that would start a car.. and you had more than one so that must be like winning the battery lottery.... :unsure:
What brand(s) were these 15 year old batteries with dead cells that would still start a car.. I want to buy one.
Never had a lead/acid car battery last 15 years? You must live in an extreme climate.

If you plan to keep your vehicle long term go with Costco. You can return them just before the warranty is up and get a new one. Technically it is then below the new rating so it’s not dishonest.
that's totally dishonest, and is one of the reasons battery prices keep increasing. the warranty is for failures and defects, not normal wear & tear. my father in law had the same attitude as you -- he'd let one of his cars sit for months at a time and then just return the dead battery to costco and get a new one. I finally bought him a maintenance charger and gave him a good lecture on battery ethics.

As previously stated, I had an issue with intermittent issues. Unless it was acting up, it of course, tested fine. The issue presented itself several times a month and would result in the vehicle being stranded. I explained the situation to the manager and of course, the battery tested fine. Eventually they agreed to replace the battery, but he basically called me a fraud without stating it.
AGM batteries can have internal faults, glitches, voltage drops, etc. I've had 2 agm Mercedes batteries throw codes unrelated to battery. They both started the car fine and showed good voltage on a test meter. Replaced the batteries, cleared the codes and all is good. The last one was going on 6 yrs old.

I’ve been going with Costco Interstate batteries the last couple of times I needed one. Stopped getting the Menards AC Delco batteries because while they will start my car, they tend to have little voltage quirks that trip the Check Engine light. It’s a shame because they have adequate power. Group 49 batteries that I might use in a solar lighting project.

I got a battery for the 2004 Ford Taurus I recently sold, and one for the Jaguar. No issues or complaints, but how could there be with how new they are? 😉

I didn’t get a new Group 49 ( aka H8) there though… their online battery finder says my “local” Costco has none. I went to my local farm and fleet, a place where you can buy horse stuff, clothes, a revolver, and a 950 CCA battery for the Charger. No problem at all… 😀.

No, I didn’t buy the other stuff, but you could..
The online Costco battery finder is not very good. The guys in the store will even admit it. The battery for my MB is Grp 49 H8 agm. They don't list one for it. I physically saw that they had the battery in stock so went to buy one. First thing the guy asks is what vehicle do I have. I told him don't bother, it's not listed. When I told him it was a MB he said yes they had a hard time looking up batteries for MB. (do you know how many Mercedes ML 350's are on the road!) The battery was $180 vs $220 for Diehard @ Advance and $200 at NAPA.

Reactions: RAR
Never had a lead/acid car battery last 15 years? You must live in an extreme climate.
I've never had one last longer than 8 years. The factory motorcraft batteries I've had last 8, 7, 5 and 5 years. Duralast only lasted 3 years before needing replaced. Currently using fleet farm deka replacements so we will see how long those last.

95f day temps during the summer and winter temps below 32f really kill a battery.

Back