Corolla Ticking - Using 10w40 and Auto RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounded like the 'ticking' noise got quieter as you revved past 2500-3000rpm's. might be low oil pressure that initially caused that, and borderline low oil pressure currently, just not enough to trip the light. you might have a clogged oil passage. also it sounded like it went away at idle near the end of the video. a seemingly intermittent noise like that is probably not yet the death of the engine, but you need to find out what is causing the noise. either the autorx treatment has dislodged something or the oil you are using is too thick for the bearings in that motor. could also be a damaged oil pump. STOP driving the car NOW before making things worse possibly causing permanent damage, if you haven't already. drain that oil and change the filter, be sure and use 5w30, i'd try the thinnest 5w30 you can find, maybe someone knows what oil brand that would be. good luck i hope your engine is not damaged.

Originally Posted By: 105
UPDATE

So far I've completed one clean and two rinse phases, and now I'm near the end of my 2nd clean phase. The ticking was actually getting quieter all through rinse phases but now its come back with a vengance just a couple days ago after a 300 mile road trip. I had taken a couple road trips during the rinses without it getting worse so I think it is the Auto RX causing the noise. What do you think?

Kinda jumping in the thread. Could it be that the Auto-RX is the Cause of the ticking?
whistle.gif

did the corolla call for 10w-40? After the cycles are done, I would get the oil pressure mechanically tested to see where you stand. as for that s2000 auto tensioner, I would convert it to a manual one like people with H22's do, Many people believe the auto tensioner is a time bomb.

Originally Posted By: hal
either the autorx treatment has dislodged something or the oil you are using is too thick for the bearings in that motor.

The oil is not too thick for his bearings.

I would look into a mechanical issue.

When I listened to your video,it sounded like classic lifter tap to me. One of my 3000GT`s did that the very second I put Syntec in it,verbatim to what your car`s doing. I switched it out to a dino and it was gone never to return. Try changing your oil to Valvoline 10W30 w/a Toyota OEM oil filter and see what happens.

When I recently used AutoRX in my Mercury Grand Marquis I noticed a slight chatter at startup. This continued for the entire 2500 miles that the product was in my engine. I attribute it to the formulation being rather thick when cold and that after sitting overnight in a cold garage (35-40 at the time) the thickness of it caused a second or two delay of my oil getting up into the engine as quickly than with just 5w-20 oil. I have come to this conclusion (in difference to other opinions) for another reason; after I was done with the cleaning phase and moved into the rinse phase the startup noise was gone. Regardless of what the maker says in my opinion AutoRX DOES NOT match the viscosity of the carrier oil but retains it's rather thick nature when cold. I love the product though as it's worked well for me for several years now in other vehicles I've applied to. Don't know how this would relate to your issue but I thought I would submit this info anyway.

In my 98 corolla I started the 1st phase of Auto RX about 1200 miles ago with Supertech 10w40. Just a few days ago after a 200 mile road trip it started ticking loudly untill the car warms up fully, usually after 10 minutes of driving in the morning. This car has a sewing machine sound as do most corollas but this is much louder. The untrained ear could hear this from 10 yards away. The auto RX site says noise is normal and will go away during the rinse phase, but some people are telling me the 10w40 is too thick for the corolla and I need to get some 5w30 in there. I was using the 10w40 to try to reduce consumption. I have 107000 miles.

first off with only 107k miles why are you going thick?? drop the weight in the oil and complete the rinse phases and go back to the 30 wts.. 107k miles that motor is finally breaking in.. also why are you doing the RX?? if you change the oil like you should, you will never need an additive.. those cars naturally burn oil it seems like. the older ones are worse. no big deal. go one brand at a time for a few oil changes and see which ones do not burn off as bad and stick with it.. perhaps maxlife would be a good choice..

Last edited:
Our 2000 Corolla burns oil, about a quart every 1-1.5K miles. I ran two cycles of ARX, it cleaned up the motor nicely and improved power big time. But, it didn't do anything for consumption.

Keep using the ARX, it's good stuff, cleans your engine. As for consumption, as someone else mentioned, these cars are prone to oil burning. Just keep driving the car, it should last a good long time.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

first off with only 107k miles why are you going thick?? drop the weight in the oil and complete the rinse phases and go back to the 30 wts.. 107k miles that motor is finally breaking in.. also why are you doing the RX?? if you change the oil like you should, you will never need an additive.. those cars naturally burn oil it seems like. the older ones are worse. no big deal. go one brand at a time for a few oil changes and see which ones do not burn off as bad and stick with it.. perhaps maxlife would be a good choice..
Amen!
thumbsup2.gif

No need for all this stuff. I'd change the oil a few short OCI to get rid of whatever you've put in there and hopefully all will be ok.

5w-30 oil is what you need to run.

Was there something wrong before you "fixed" it?

Bill

UPDATE

So far I've completed one clean and two rinse phases, and now I'm near the end of my 2nd clean phase. The ticking was actually getting quieter all through rinse phases but now its come back with a vengance just a couple days ago after a 300 mile road trip. I had taken a couple road trips during the rinses without it getting worse so I think it is the Auto RX causing the noise. What do you think?

Sure it's causing the noise. I encountered the same thing. Not everything cleans up fully at the same time. You may have one HLA (if one does indeed have HLA's) unclog while the main runner to all of them is still restricted. So they may all bleed down faster than they can be supplied. I was only trying to cure a nagging funky cyclical hla tap that lingered until the oil got warm. During the rinse phase, I developed a bunch more. It passed.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's not uncommon.

For those who redundantly cite "if you just change the oil like you should, everything will be okay":

Well, he's not okay NOW. There is a condition that needs remedy NOW. He may or may not have done exactly what you're prescribing ..and no hind sight quarterbacking is going to alter the fact that he NOW has this condition and is going to do something about it.

People aren't packaged or manufactured and put on a shelf. Millions of variables occur to millions of people.

You can't reduce the world to "just do what I do, and you'll be just fine".

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
UPDATE

Sure it's causing the noise. I encountered the same thing. Not everything cleans up fully at the same time. You may have one HLA (if one does indeed have HLA's) unclog while the main runner to all of them is still restricted. So they may all bleed down faster than they can be supplied. I was only trying to cure a nagging funky cyclical hla tap that lingered until the oil got warm. During the rinse phase, I developed a bunch more. It passed.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's not uncommon.

For those who redundantly cite "if you just change the oil like you should, everything will be okay":

Well, he's not okay NOW. There is a condition that needs remedy NOW. He may or may not have done exactly what you're prescribing ..and no hind sight quarterbacking is going to alter the fact that he NOW has this condition and is going to do something about it.

People aren't packaged or manufactured and put on a shelf. Millions of variables occur to millions of people.

You can't reduce the world to "just do what I do, and you'll be just fine".

i get what you are saying but the best thing to do now other than take it to a shop is to finish the rinse phase, drop back down to the 30wt bc at 107k miles that sucker is just now broke in.. if it continues then take it to the next step.. it could be the RX.. does RX thin oil??

He should finish the rinse phase. I imagine that he could change it anytime he wants ..but it's a waste of oil. He may want to do it again. I dunno.

As far as thinning oil... I imagine that most of it is trying to engage in a mating ritual with metal surfaces or forming mixed lubrication layers.

I only used 10w40 for the first clean phase after that I went back to 5w30 and havent changed weight. I tried the 10w40 to slow oil consumption as some people recommended, but no luck. Also I got the car with 103k on it, so who knows what the engine had been through. The car looked in pretty good shape though when I got it. Don't worry I change the oil religiously now every 3k.

By the way, are there any other cheap good oils besides supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back