Cordless drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked with design engineers on quite a few of the various drills and Milwaukee's are the only ones built to last. Not sure about Makita but even Dewalt's are buily to break and require replacement. The lifetime warranty on the drill and battery may sound appealing but you are likely giving up some performance as they are not giving them away. My Milwaukee drill is 15 years old and the original batteries still work. I bought replacements that were made in Mexico from Home Depot and the lasted only a few years at best and did not perform as well as the older ones that came with the drill. So it depends if you want/need the best or just occasional use what your choice is.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Since i am an occasional and newbie user, everything fits my hand "best". I really can't feel the difference at all.

How can you possibly not feel the difference? They are all physically shaped different.

As I have said. I have had about seven cordless drill over the last 20 years, I have used them, not continuously, but as HARD as you could use a drill without abusing it.
The first drill I had was 12v Craftsman, it was low on power, and slow to charge by today's standards. The battery was dead after two years, and would cost more than a new 14v Drill to replace.
This has pretty much been the case with my drills up until now, ever some 24v Drills.

ALL the Li drills currently available seemed to have sufficient power/speed and my Ridgid re-charges in 8-10 minutes, which is realistically faster than I could ever discharge a battery, even driving deck screws on a deck.

Buying my Rigid Drill and impact driver on sale I have ended up with Two tools (that to some degree are interchangeable in that I could drill or drive with either if needbe)
Two fast chargers, and Three (all be it small) Batteries) all with lifetime warranties. All for under $200 total!

In Five years I have called on the warranty twice (both times the batteries did not seem to take a full charge after some years of use) Both times, I was able to phone in that I needed a new battery to the Ridgid service centre (about 40 min drive from here) they would Order a new battery and call me when I could come in for an over the counter exchange.
When I get the new battery, I'm given a 1800 # and my new battery is registered for another lifetime warranty then and there.

I asked at the service centre if there are limits on what the warranty would cover, they told me "basically, unless they see out and out vandalism , they will fix it or replace it. But it might be replaced with a rebuilt unit. Either way the warranty would continue" They also said, by far, most claims are for Batteries.

I really appreciate your advices and suggestions. Unfortunately, brushless drills are out of my budget. I don't want to pay more than $200 CDN for a drill.

Now i only have two alternatives.

First one is Ridgid again. However, it has LED light, two batteries and additional impact driver. Not to mention it comes with lifetime warranty including batteries. Regular price is $199 but now it's $174.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/18v-compact-drill-and-impact-driver-combo/997749

Second one is Milwaukee M18 non-fuel version. I know brushless version is one of the best in the market but i can't afford it. It only has 5 year warranty (tool) and 2 year warranty for the battery. The regular price is $319 and now it's $149.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/m18-compact-1-2-inch-hammer-drill-driver-kit/868359

Okay, i decided to buy Ridgid drive/drill and impact set. I hope the impact driver is able to remove/tighten lug nuts.

Remember, the Ridgid cordless tools have a "lifetime service agreement," not a lifetime warranty.

There are hoops you have to jump through, including registering the tools when you buy them. Don't forget to do that or you only get the three year warranty.

NO, it will not undo lug nuts!

That's not what the tool is for.
Tools with a 1/4" Hex drive are for driving screws and small Nut head fasteners, not nuts and bolts.

Read the small print.
I think you have 90 days in which you can return the tool if you don't like, Get a price match (if there is a better sale), or register it on-line.

When you register the tool, you will also have tp send in by post the UPC code and the recept.
You only have to do this once. After that all claims and re-registering is done on line or via a 1 800 #

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Remember, the Ridgid cordless tools have a "lifetime service agreement," not a lifetime warranty.

There are hoops you have to jump through, including registering the tools when you buy them. Don't forget to do that or you only get the three year warranty.

No, it's full lifetime warranty but you have to register the tools.

Check this

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

Originally Posted By: expat

Tools with a 1/4" Hex drive are for driving screws and small Nut head fasteners, not nuts and bolts.

Maybe it's not the best tool for removing or tightening lug nuts, but it works. I will also use torque wrench.

Look what i found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z6C-HoWx7c

Okay, i decided to buy Ridgid drive/drill and impact set. I hope the impact driver is able to remove/tighten lug nuts.

Its an impact driver for screws into wood (basically). Its not an impact wrench. While it might work, I would not count on it working doing that for too long.

Originally Posted By: expat

Maybe it's not the best tool for removing or tightening lug nuts, but it works. I will also use torque wrench.

Look what i found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z6C-HoWx7c

Honestly I'm surprised that it would do that.
I have used the tool to drive 8" #10 screws, and it did it without a problem.
But I thought something the size of a Lug nut would be too heavy.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Like I said earlier, I'd go for the Milwaukee. But, here is a rigid on sale that may fit your needs. $99 at Home Depot. Comes with 2 batteries

Rigid Drill/Driver

Hey this is a US website.

Milwaukee is good, but i grabbed Ridgid drill/drive and impact driver kit for 174 CDN (140 usd). Two batteries, better drill (than the other ridgid), additional impact driver, better charger and LED lights are included.

No, it's full lifetime warranty but you have to register the tools.

Check this

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

Now, for the lawyerese from the warranty:

"RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship defects."

Also:
"NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR:

Commonly, our tools are used on job sites in the most demanding applications and environments. Under these conditions and over time, the RIDGID product may experience normal wear and tear and require service. While normal wear & tear is not considered a "defect" and is not covered by the RIDGID Lifetime Warranty..."

Translation: Be leery of loopholes.

I think you got a good deal!

Just remember to register the tool, it does not take long.
If you buy other Ridgid tools later, registration will be even quicker.

As you can tell I did not regret my purchase. Not all my power tools are Ridgid, but for the warranty alone, all my cordless tools will be.
Li batteries are too darned expensive, and you KNOW they do not last forever.

Quote:
Commonly, our tools are used on job sites in the most demanding applications and environments. Under these conditions and over time, the RIDGID product may experience normal wear and tear and require service. While normal wear & tear is not considered a "defect" and is not covered by the RIDGID Lifetime Warranty..."

Translation: Be leery of loopholes.

I guess it comes down to the attitude of your local service center.
I got the clear indication that 'our's' (who has been in business for nearly 40 years)
does not want to P-off the local customers.

Last edited:
Thanks

One thing i don't like about the impact driver is, rocker switch is loose. Is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back