Cop stomps kids teeth out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
.... While the Officer didn't know it at the time it is still a fact of the case ....

Generally speaking, after acquired knowledge is rarely helpful. One is almost always judged on what one knew at the time he / she did it.

It is a fact of the case as far as talking about the crimes the young man committed. All I was saying.

The Officer may not have known the young man had them at the time he approached him to ask his questions but he still had them. I never said the drugs were why he kicked the young man either. The illegal drug possession is still a relevant fact of the case though, and it is relevant to the discussion, because it is why the young man ran.

I love how people cherry pick one sentence/line and then add meaning to it that was never intended or even implied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win

Your idea penalizes every Officer not just the one who was wrong. Would you want your pension tapped for a payout because of something someone else did where you work? No, of course not. If an EMT or Fireman screws up and someone is hurt/dies would you want the payout to come from the pension fund for their profession? That hardly seems fair to me.

Well, it happens all the time in the private sector. Malfeasance, misfeasance, bonehead employees wipe out companies with bad decisions and all the other employees, stockholders, co - owners, etc., suffer. They just don't get the taxpayers to replenish their $$$, unless, of course, they're "too big to fail".

No it doesn't happen all the time in the private sector. Retirement funds certainly take hits but the reasons are not the same as money being taken out to cover law suits. Those are losses through the incompetence of the people handling the money, economic reasons, or perhaps embezzling. It is not the same as someone committing a crime and then as part of a civil payout the pension fund where they work is hit up for the settlement. That is grossly unfair and even more so if employees make contributions to said fund.

Punish the person who did wrong. Don't punish the innocent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
So what "crime" did the kid commit?

He *ran*

Hardly a crime that calls for...

McGowan caught up with D’Labik in a convenience store. A surveillance video without audio shows McGowan, gun drawn, approaching D’Labik. D’Labik, who had his hands up, begins to get on the ground. When he is in a “push up” position, McGowan stomps him in the upper back. That sent D’Labik’s face into the floor. He lost several teeth.

He was *complying* There was *no* reason whatever to get stomped into the ground.

He can't get sued for running. He can sue for getting stomped and losing teeth.

Well, 1st of all the young man did run and it actually is a crime. A pretty serious one to boot.

As he was not under arrest at the time, running, while cause for suspicion, is not a crime.

You are *not* required to answer questions.

All this stuff about what he did or didn't do is just chaff. The *only* thing that matters is that he got stomped to the ground even though he was *not* resisting

Of course running was a crime. The Officer approached him to ask a question and the young man took off. At that point the Officer told him to stop and the young man kept going. Failing to comply with the lawful order of a Police Officer is a crime my friend. Once he ran, and kept on running, he committed a crime.

Sure, you can refuse to answer questions whether you are a/the suspect of a crime or as a witness. However, you run the risk, as a witness, of having obstruction charges leveled at you. If the Police simply want to ask you a question about a crime they do not suspect you of and you suddenly tell them you refuse to cooperate that is a red flag. They will start looking closer at you in connection with the crime and if they can in anyway tie you to it they will. If they can show your refusal to cooperate aided the suspect be prepared for obstruction charges. A DA can also force you to testify in a trial as well. You can refuse and be found in contempt of course or plead the 5th and get in hot water too.

So you are right you don't have to talk to the Officer but refusing to do so, and even worse running away at his approach, leads to bad things. The running away is a crime. Refusing to cooperate can lead to a subpoena or even obstruction charges. Just not worth it as this young man found out. IF you have nothing to hide no reason not to cooperate.

Last edited:
The way you make it sound, we as citizens have no rights, compared to that of a police officer and its answer the questions or else. The only offense the guy had was failure to disobey stop. I guess he is lucky the cop didn't shoot him in the back. Of course, that would have been alright by the police playbook, because he said stop. I was detained once by the FBI and I refused to say anything. They locked me in the car for a half hour. I told them unless you can arrest me, I need to go. That was 15 years ago. Probably by today's standard, I would be in a coma for such a comment. How times have changed and people have become sheep. No wonder they think they should have control. Answer the questions or I will use your own law against you and your alright with that????

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Jarlaxle said:
Your idea penalizes every Officer not just the one who was wrong. Would you want your pension tapped for a payout because of something someone else did where you work? No, of course not. If an EMT or Fireman screws up and someone is hurt/dies would you want the payout to come from the pension fund for their profession? That hardly seems fair to me.

Ever been in the Military and 1 guy in the Platoon or Company screws up?

HMMM push ups for all vs. messing with an innocent person's retirement. Yeah, that is the same.

When I was in all suffered for the dopes screw ups.

All punished the dope for screwing up, normally he learned his lesson the 1st time.

If not, all heck broke lose.

Now, answer the question, ever been in the military?

Last edited:
Jarlaxle said:

HMMM push ups for all vs. messing with an innocent person's retirement. Yeah, that is the same.

All punished the dope for screwing up, normally he learned his lesson the 1st time.

Not the same. Was the rest of the platoon/company punished with loss of benefits? Pay docked? Loss of future pension?

Jarlaxle said:

Whether I am current/former military or not( and I am not for whatever the heck it matters )is completely irrelevant. Your analogy doesn't hold water. You are comparing physical punishment such as a company having to do extra pushups or run extra miles for one persons screw up to having the pension fund of all employees raided to cover a law suit settlement. It is just not comparable I am sorry.

He *ran*

McGowan caught up with D’Labik in a convenience store. A surveillance video without audio shows McGowan, gun drawn, approaching D’Labik. D’Labik, who had his hands up, begins to get on the ground. When he is in a “push up” position, McGowan stomps him in the upper back. That sent D’Labik’s face into the floor. He lost several teeth.

He was *complying* There was *no* reason whatever to get stomped into the ground.

Well, 1st of all the young man did run and it actually is a crime. A pretty serious one to boot.

As he was not under arrest at the time, running, while cause for suspicion, is not a crime.

All this stuff about what he did or didn't do is just chaff. The *only* thing that matters is that he got stomped to the ground even though he was *not* resisting

Of course running was a crime. The Officer approached him to ask a question and the young man took off.

Was the guy under arrest at the time? If yes, then running away is a crime. If no, then it is not.

It is of no consequence of what the guy did or did not do. I don't know why you continue to try and put up a smoke screen to cover the event that is the subject of the thread.

The kid was stomped into the ground and suffered damage. There was *no* reason to do that.

When it gets to civil court, a jury is not going to care that the guy ran. They're not going to care if he had weed or not.

They'll see the video, and what they'll care about is sending a message to make sure it doesn't happen to them.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The way you make it sound, we as citizens have no rights, compared to that of a police officer and its answer the questions or else. The only offense the guy had was failure to disobey stop. I guess he is lucky the cop didn't shoot him in the back. Of course, that would have been alright by the police playbook, because he said stop. I was detained once by the FBI and I refused to say anything. They locked me in the car for a half hour. I told them unless you can arrest me, I need to go. That was 15 years ago. Probably by today's standard, I would be in a coma for such a comment. How times have changed and people have become sheep. No wonder they think they should have control. Answer the questions or I will use your own law against you and your alright with that????

That is not what I mean at all. The way you and others around here sound though you make it out like we can do anything we want without consequences. You also make it out like every LEO is a thug.

I am sorry I live in the real world where the consequences of our actions matter. Being able to do something doesn't mean you should( you can be technically right and still end up sitting on the pointy end of the stick because of your choice to exert your "rights" ). If you do something and screw up don't blame others. Not all Police are crooked and I am glad when I need help they are just a phone call away.

The world isn't perfect, nor is our country, but the way some of you make it out the black helicopters are coming to take us all away and the world is doomed right now. I think some need a good reality and perspective check.

This thread has become comical actually.

NHHEMI, remember Rodney King incident of the 90's in Los Angeles area ?

Rodney King was totally wrong, committed several crimes before he was stopped by polices after a long chase. The beating by polices was captured on video, he got several millions dollars settlement with the city, he wasn't indicted for any crime, several polices went to jail for violating his Civil Right under Federal Laws. The polices first found not guilty with all white jury in state trial in a conservative city north of LA (is it Simi Valley ?)

The young man in this may be wrong in running away from a detective and he also has prohibit drug, but at the time he surrendered nobody can beat him up for anything he did prior.

I'm 100% sure that the city and/or police dept will pay good money without going to trial for the action of the detective. City and/or police dept don't want to go to trial because the jury may award upward million(s) to the victim.

Not the same. Was the rest of the platoon/company punished with loss of benefits? Pay docked? Loss of future pension?

Maybe not, but at the time I bet most would have given up benefits, or have their pay docked. Many didn't come home anyway.

Anyway the cop was wrong, IMO.

Hope the kid gets his face fixed for free and may the police union be the one to suffer.

We going to address the elephant in the room that the scumbags continue to abuse the law to protect themselves, but absolutely refuse to respect the peace and security of others?

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Payouts for this need to start being taken from the police pension fund.

Best idea I've heard. You Sir, get the award. Wonder how much police brutality would happen when police peer pressure sees their pensions evaporating? They would police their own for a change!!!!!!

There are only two things that will make a real difference. That is one...the other would be people dropping the hammer on bent cops.

Payouts for this need to start being taken from the police pension fund.

I am all for making those responsible pay for their actions. I don't think cities/governments should be on the hook for millions every time a rogue employee gets in trouble though. I also don't think your solution is the answer.

Either they curb their mad dogs, or suffer the consequences. I would, personally, prefer that bent cops be nailed to crosses and left there until their bones fall apart.

Quote:
I like the solution someone brought up earlier. If there is to be any kind of settlement it should be the responsibility of the offending person to pay it. In some instances I can see going after a department or city( like this case if the Chief had been warned by a doctor that the Officer was unstable but he kept him out there - that kind of thing ) but in most cases it doesn't seem right and for sure the pension fund being tapped does not seem right to me in any situation. As said, that penalizes people who did nothing wrong.

So...you want people who get their heads bashed in by bad cops to collect nothing, then. I suspect many of the cops are turnips: yeah, you have a $10,000,000 judgment...but you get NOTHING, because he doesn't have two nickels to rub together!

Was the guy under arrest at the time? If yes, then running away is a crime. If no, then it is not.

It is of no consequence of what the guy did or did not do. I don't know why you continue to try and put up a smoke screen to cover the event that is the subject of the thread.

The kid was stomped into the ground and suffered damage. There was *no* reason to do that.

When it gets to civil court, a jury is not going to care that the guy ran. They're not going to care if he had weed or not.

They'll see the video, and what they'll care about is sending a message to make sure it doesn't happen to them.

Just give up, dude. He's an apologist and will defend bad cops to the end...to him, NOTHING a cop does is over the line.

Just give up, dude. He's an apologist and will defend bad cops to the end...to him, NOTHING a cop does is over the line.

Yeah, you're right. At this point the thread is just going round and round.

He *ran*

Exactly, if this does go to civil court the cop is going to wish he was home sick that day. He was 100% wrong in this case, even taking into account the kid ran, had pot on him, etc. Police should not conduct themselves that way, and there is NO EXCUSE for his behavior.

I have no problem with the police and often find myself taking their side, I can't take their side in this case.

Yeah, you're right. At this point the thread is just going round and round.

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

You guys are a nuts. You clearly can't read and understand what you just read and you compound your foolishness by just making stuff up about what other people say and put it out there like it is truth. Calling me an "apologist" is just flat out inaccurate and ludicrous.

Not once in this thread have I apologized for, defended, or excused this Offier over what he did. Not once. I simply don't feel they are all bad like Jaraxle and I have said I am glad they are there when needed just a phone call away. I am sorry, but I am too intelligent to blame an entire body of people, and despise them all, because of the actions of a comparative handful of others. If you guys were honest I believe you would admit the same( at least that they are there to help if needed ).

I suggest to anyone who might for one second believe Jaraxle's vitriolic rhetoric about me being an "apologist" go back through my posts in this thread and find one time I was an "apologist" and quote it directly. And do not start quoting things such as I don't think the young man deserves a settlement or where I put part of the responsibility for this on him because of the bad choices he made. Saying I don't believe the Police pension should be raided to pay a law suit, in effect penalizing innocent Officers, is not me being an "apologist" either. Those things are called being rational and reasonable.

I defy the likes of Jaraxle and Trajan, who are assaulting my character here, to post quotes were I directly defend what the Officer did or where I say it is ok this happened? Post quotes where I defend Polcie brutality or enforcement at any cost? THAT would make me an apologist. Nothing I have said here does. Good luck with that BTW. Wanting the young man to face up to his share of responsibility doesn't make me an "apologist" either.

You know what, I an going to save everyone some time and I am going to go back myself and quote the things I have said about this Officer and what he did below. Remember now these are things I ACTUALLY have said about the Officer and not the delusional stuff Jaraxle and some others think they have seen. The 1st quote is from the very 1st post I made( I enter at the last post on page 3 )where I start out in this thread arguing with another member that what happened to the young man WAS in fact excessive force and that the Officer was wrong.

THIS is what I have said...

"The officer deserves not only a reprimand but charges brought against him IMO. Just no reason for such an act."

"in no way do I excuse the Officer. I specifically said he deserved a reprimand and that he should face charges because what he did was pay back for the young man running earlier. I also said the young man was surrendering. The Officer used excessive force and I said so with no doubt about it."

"The Officer deserves to face the consequences of his actions too don't get me wrong. I do not condone nor excuse what he did in any way shape or form."

"I think the Officer was about as wrong as it can get when he kicked the young man in the teeth. He deserves to face charges and he should never be allowed to be an LEO again( anywhere )."

"The Officer deserves to be charged and go to jail for the assault/excessive force. Also, he should never again be allowed to be an LEO anywhere. He shouldn't even be allowed to be a Security Guard at a playdough factory."

"At no time have I defended the Officer for what he did. He was wrong and should face charges himself and go to jail. He also should not be allowed to work in the Law Enforcement field ever again. End of story."

"Yes, the Officer stomping the young man in the face was deliberate. No argument from me hence my many comments that he deserves to face charges and jail time."

"I agree with you that the Officer is not the judge and jury. I have never defended his actions. Why must you and others keep throwing what he did at me as if I am defending it. I am not. He was wrong and deserves to go to jail for it. We ALL agree the Officer was wrong so there is no need to keep hammering me about how what he did is wrong."

"For about the millionth time no one is defending the Officer or saying what he did was right. These continued comments from you and others about him "not being judge and jury" or the continued attempt to repeat the obvious about what the Officer did being wrong seem to imply I somehow defend his actions. LISTEN CAREFULLY...the Officer was WRONG and he should NOT have stomped the young man. I do not dispute that at all and have not at any point in the thread. You don't have to tell me the Officer was wrong. I AGREE with you."

"Do we not all agree that the Officer was wrong, had no justification for stomping the young man, and should face charges? I believe we do so why do so many keep bringing that part up as if I don't agree? I know it is part of the whole story so it comes into the discussion but I agree 100% that what he did was wrong. I do not dispute that at all so there is no need to keep trying to make me see it that way. There is no need to keep talking about judge and jury and pointing out the wrong done by the Officer. I agree so why keep at that point?"

"The thing is the Officer wasn't acting as judge and jury. He was acting like a thug. It was personal for him. The Officer is a d-nozzle and was wrong for what he did. That was a personal act on his part and not an act as an Officer. He just happened to be on duty and in uniform at the time. To me when you say an Officer was acting as judge and jury I think of someone accused of say rape or something being beaten and/or killed during the arrest. I don't see it here. I just see a bully Officer acting out because the young man ran earlier."

"The Officer committed a crime and I have said so in almost every post I have made here. He deserves jail time and to never again be allowed to work in the LE field in any form. Just because I feel the young man shares the blame and shouldn't benefit from his stupid and illegal actions does not mean I in anyway defend the Officer here."

"2nd, I do agree what the young man did does not warrant the kick to the face by the Officer. Again, people keep throwing this out there and I haven't seen anyone say it was right, warranted, etc...? Yes he ran and ticked off the Officer, which I get, but he was surrendering peacefully once tracked down in the store so there was no need to kick him. THAT was wrong and a crime as well. The Officer has to answer for that."

Now, if Jaraxle, Trajan, and anyone else actually thinks those comments make me an "apologist" for the Police and it means that "I will defend bad cops to the end", or that "NOTHING a cop does is over the line" for me I suggest you all go back to school and take a remedial reading course because it is clear you can't comprehend what you read. An "apologist" is defined as the following by Webster; "a person who defends or supports something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people". Other than saying I do not feel ALL Police are bad and that the good ones shouldn't be punished for the acts of the bad ones, as some like Jaraxle have, I have not defended anything in this thread. Calling me an 'apologist is just wrong!

If anyone in this thread should be labeled with absolutes and with a clear agenda concerning the Police, Jaraxle is a prime candidate with his comments about public vivisection and the like for Police. This is a man who clearly hates ALL Police and blames them ALL for the actions of other Officers. This is someone with a big bias who shouldn't be casting stones at me even if they are little made up stones that only exist in his own warped imagination!

To others I am sorry for the long post and hostility but Jaraxle went over the line. His comments are not only wrong but over the line. The fact someone agreed with him is disturbing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
NHHEMI, remember Rodney King incident of the 90's in Los Angeles area ?

Rodney King was totally wrong, committed several crimes before he was stopped by polices after a long chase. The beating by polices was captured on video, he got several millions dollars settlement with the city, he wasn't indicted for any crime, several polices went to jail for violating his Civil Right under Federal Laws. The polices first found not guilty with all white jury in state trial in a conservative city north of LA (is it Simi Valley ?)

The young man in this may be wrong in running away from a detective and he also has prohibit drug, but at the time he surrendered nobody can beat him up for anything he did prior.

I'm 100% sure that the city and/or police dept will pay good money without going to trial for the action of the detective. City and/or police dept don't want to go to trial because the jury may award upward million(s) to the victim.

RK was discussed earlier. I don't want to go into details on that in this thread.

You like some others continue to imply/state that I somehow am defending what the Officer did. I have not done so even once. Please read the quotes of my comments about what the Officer did in the post I made just above.

I agree the city will probably settle rather than risk a jury. I simply don't feel the young man deserves a settlement. He shares the responsibility for this happening and shouldn't benefit from it.

Anyway, this has all been covered so no sense doing it again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back