Cop stomps kids teeth out

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what "crime" did the kid commit?

He *ran*

Hardly a crime that calls for...

McGowan caught up with D’Labik in a convenience store. A surveillance video without audio shows McGowan, gun drawn, approaching D’Labik. D’Labik, who had his hands up, begins to get on the ground. When he is in a “push up” position, McGowan stomps him in the upper back. That sent D’Labik’s face into the floor. He lost several teeth.

He was *complying* There was *no* reason whatever to get stomped into the ground.

He can't get sued for running. He can sue for getting stomped and losing teeth.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Payouts for this need to start being taken from the police pension fund.

Best idea I've heard. You Sir, get the award. Wonder how much police brutality would happen when police peer pressure sees their pensions evaporating? They would police their own for a change!!!!!!

As usual you can tell who the Police are on here, because they absolutely justify any actions against citizens. Citizens, not civilians as you most like to refer to people as. You are not military, you are not some elite highly trained paramilitary group here to control the masses, but a public servant, who, the cattle you presume, actually, ironically pays your salary through taxes. I have several friends that are police and to listen to them brag about how they treat people and how stupid people are make me sick. I have no respect for police as a result. I believe I am not alone and I also believe this is only going to get worse for a lot of people as more cases are documented. You may think people were conditioned to obey Police, but I can also tell you Americans are conditioned not to be controlled.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have several friends that are police and to listen to them brag about how they treat people and how stupid people are make me sick. I have no respect for police as a result. I believe I am not alone and I also believe this is only going to get worse for a lot of people as more cases are documented. You may think people were conditioned to obey Police, but I can also tell you Americans are conditioned not to be controlled.

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely !

Absolutely.

The US police is becoming more of a privatised domestic military and less like the public servants they were originally envisioned to be.

For balance, watch the video of off-duty Swedish officers breaking up a fight and restraining both parties, WITHOUT VIOLENCE OR INJURY, and ask yourself why US police can't or won't behave in a similarly civilised manner.

Olas - You've used the word "privatised" in multiple threads describing US police.

But it's specious. And completely mischaracterizes our police. Name one major U.S. city that has privatised police....

I too am concerned about the increased militarization of many police forces, MRAPS in particular, along with surplus military gear and heavy weapons have no place in normal law enforcement.

But they're not privatised. I think you would be better served if you skipped the media hyperbole, and did some research on US police, or better yet, came over here and saw for yourself before passing judgment on something with which you have no experience.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
As usual you can tell who the Police are on here, because they absolutely justify any actions against citizens. Citizens, not civilians as you most like to refer to people as. You are not military, you are not some elite highly trained paramilitary group here to control the masses, but a public servant, who, the cattle you presume, actually, ironically pays your salary through taxes. I have several friends that are police and to listen to them brag about how they treat people and how stupid people are make me sick. I have no respect for police as a result. I believe I am not alone and I also believe this is only going to get worse for a lot of people as more cases are documented. You may think people were conditioned to obey Police, but I can also tell you Americans are conditioned not to be controlled.

Good lord man where has anyone in this thread justified or tried to excuse what the Officer did? You are reading things not being said.

Some of us( at least me anyway )just do not believe the young man deserves a settlement out of what happened because he is partly to blame. That is not excusing what the Officer did in any way shape or form.

The Officer committed a crime and I have said so in almost every post I have made here. He deserves jail time and to never again be allowed to work in the LE field in any form. Just because I feel the young man shares the blame and shouldn't benefit from his stupid and illegal actions does not mean I in anyway defend the Officer here.

You clearly are one who despises the Police at all times. I think your judgment is the one that is clouded here not mine or others. And for the record I am not a Police Officer. Just someone looking at it without any preconceived bias for or against Police.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

He *ran*

McGowan caught up with D’Labik in a convenience store. A surveillance video without audio shows McGowan, gun drawn, approaching D’Labik. D’Labik, who had his hands up, begins to get on the ground. When he is in a “push up” position, McGowan stomps him in the upper back. That sent D’Labik’s face into the floor. He lost several teeth.

He was *complying* There was *no* reason whatever to get stomped into the ground.

Well, 1st of all the young man did run and it actually is a crime. A pretty serious one to boot. I have seen some in theis thread make light of that, as you do here, and I don't get that. Running from the Police is a big deal. A BIG one. He ran because he had illegal drugs in possession as well which is also another serious offense. While the Officer didn't know it at the time it is still a fact of the case and it is why the young man ran away when he was approached by the Officer. So, to answer your question, not only did the young man commit one crime that day he actually committed 2 crimes. You make it sound like he did nothing wrong at all?

2nd, I do agree what the young man did does not warrant the kick to the face by the Officer. Again, people keep throwing this out there and I haven't seen anyone say it was right, warranted, etc...? Yes he ran and ticked off the Officer, which I get, but he was surrendering peacefully once tracked down in the store so there was no need to kick him. THAT was wrong and a crime as well. The Officer has to answer for that.

This young man is not some innocent victim however that the Officer assaulted out of the blue. People need to remember that. Let's stop treating the young main like Pastor Dave out for a Sunday walk after service who got jacked up by the Officer for nothing. While not deserved the young man has to share in the blame because he ultimately wound up where he did because of his own poor and stupid choices that day.

I am all for making those responsible pay for their actions. I don't think cities/governments should be on the hook for millions every time a rogue employee gets in trouble though. I also don't think your solution is the answer.

Your idea penalizes every Officer not just the one who was wrong. Would you want your pension tapped for a payout because of something someone else did where you work? No, of course not. If an EMT or Fireman screws up and someone is hurt/dies would you want the payout to come from the pension fund for their profession? That hardly seems fair to me.

I like the solution someone brought up earlier. If there is to be any kind of settlement it should be the responsibility of the offending person to pay it. In some instances I can see going after a department or city( like this case if the Chief had been warned by a doctor that the Officer was unstable but he kept him out there - that kind of thing ) but in most cases it doesn't seem right and for sure the pension fund being tapped does not seem right to me in any situation. As said, that penalizes people who did nothing wrong.

If you are going to tap the pension fund then the only funds that should be touched is the portion that is owed to the offender. The rest should not be open for the taking. That is just wrong.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Absolutely.

That's the best idea I've ever heard.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
.... While the Officer didn't know it at the time it is still a fact of the case ....

Generally speaking, after acquired knowledge is rarely helpful. One is almost always judged on what one knew at the time he / she did it.

Conceptually, that's not a bad idea, but in practice it would probably wind up with property owners footing bigger property tax bills to replenish the fund, in another round(s) of vote buying.

If the goal is justice, imo justice would be better served by prosecutors growing pairs and vigorously prosecuting these guys as any other criminal would be, and letting the community served render their verdict on the event, instead of looking the other way, as often happens.

Your idea penalizes every Officer not just the one who was wrong. Would you want your pension tapped for a payout because of something someone else did where you work? No, of course not. If an EMT or Fireman screws up and someone is hurt/dies would you want the payout to come from the pension fund for their profession? That hardly seems fair to me.

Well, it happens all the time in the private sector. Malfeasance, misfeasance, bonehead employees wipe out companies with bad decisions and all the other employees, stockholders, co - owners, etc., suffer. They just don't get the taxpayers to replenish their $$$, unless, of course, they're "too big to fail".

Jarlaxle said:

Ever been in the Military and 1 guy in the Platoon or Company screws up?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Absolutely.

That's the best idea I've ever heard.

It's also a non starter.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

He *ran*

Well, 1st of all the young man did run and it actually is a crime. A pretty serious one to boot.

As he was not under arrest at the time, running, while cause for suspicion, is not a crime.

You are *not* required to answer questions.

All this stuff about what he did or didn't do is just chaff. The *only* thing that matters is that he got stomped to the ground even though he was *not* resisting

I haven't watched the video, but from reading the posts, guy was stomped in the back, and lost some teeth on impact on the pavement?

I don't want to be an apologist for the cops, but it sounds like misdemeanor territory. In my state, this would probably be charged as misdemeanor battery, and, even if charged as a low grade felony, would be plead to a misdemeanor. It would turn on whether or not the loss of some teeth is a "serious" physical injury or a jackboot is a deadly weapon other than a firearm.

Up to a year in the county jail, up to $2500 fine, for an A misdemeanor. A first offender would likely get no jail time, $1000 or so fine, be ordered to pay full restitution to the victim, and of course would have a lawyer bill to get him there.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Jarlaxle said:

Ever been in the Military and 1 guy in the Platoon or Company screws up?

HMMM push ups for all vs. messing with an innocent person's retirement. Yeah, that is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back