Coolant Overflow keeps getting dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
GT is the LAST person to be giving advice on how to properly maintain a car. The only way the OP is going to have an uncontaminated cooling system is to take his car to a shop that can do a complete flush using a machine. Otherwise, there is always going to be [censored] lurking in the heater core and block. I'd recommend they flush with water until it's running clear and then start the 50/50 coolant mix to refill.

That is more or less what I recommended. Any funny pictures to accompany your advice, that was the same as mine? Quit thinking I haven't flushed cooling systems, some kind of way.

Now.. an alternate, something we Shadetrees would do.. Got access to a garden hose?

I rest my case.

You feel as though you are above changing out coolant in the confines of your driveway, insofar as you get a drain pan for the ethylene glycol/equivalent toxic part of the procedure?

GT is the LAST person to be giving advice on how to properly maintain a car. The only way the OP is going to have an uncontaminated cooling system is to take his car to a shop that can do a complete flush using a machine. Otherwise, there is always going to be [censored] lurking in the heater core and block. I'd recommend they flush with water until it's running clear and then start the 50/50 coolant mix to refill.

That is more or less what I recommended. Any funny pictures to accompany your advice, that was the same as mine? Quit thinking I haven't flushed cooling systems, some kind of way.

Now.. an alternate, something we Shadetrees would do.. Got access to a garden hose?

I rest my case.

You feel as though you are above changing out coolant in the confines of your driveway, insofar as you get a drain pan for the ethylene glycol/equivalent toxic part of the procedure?

Inasmuch as I want the job done right, yes.

Originally Posted By: mattd
could also be partly from LIM gaskets.

Spot on, this is where I would start looking. The 3.1 and 3.4 are notorious for these gaskets letting go and mixing coolant and oil. If not addressed, your main bearings will be destroyed.

Heavy debris is a sign of problems.
An IM gasket is likely.
Aside from that..
A good flush with an over the counter sauce from the auto parts store is usually very good. Prestone is one reliable source.

Read the directions and plan ahead. Then dive in.

but the temps are super cold out here and i dont wanna do the flush in the cold or it doesnt matter? Cause the the prestone super flush says to drain the radiator then pour the super flush in the radiator and let the car run for 15min but wouldnt it be bad to run the coolant system without coolant considering the temps are in the 20s?

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
but the temps are super cold out here and i dont wanna do the flush in the cold or it doesnt matter? Cause the the prestone super flush says to drain the radiator then pour the super flush in the radiator and let the car run for 15min but wouldnt it be bad to run the coolant system without coolant considering the temps are in the 20s?

All nonsense with G-MAN aside, I think that what you want to do here is add the Prestone Super Flush to your current fill and drive around with it for a day or so, then drain and refill in the manner I outlined, which is NOT some kind of incorrect way, it just doesn't involve a shop and a lift. You strike me as similar to myself: You want to take good care of the car, but you have a lot of questions. I been there, and done that! I have done that with my car. I "drive with it in" (new coolant, not a flush,) then get as much of it out as I can. Driving with it in, i.e. leaving it in the car during use, in your case, Prestone on your current coolant, circulates through the -whole cooling system-.. and as long as you get the current fill OUT and don't add cold coolant to a hot engine (add cold to cold, and top it up as the heat cycles push out air and draw coolant down from the reservoir when it cools.. Squeeze the upper hose about 50 times with the reservoir/radiator cap off to get out air pockets when engine is running and as you add,) then it will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back