Coolant for my SpecV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are all these fancy coolants out there... but everytime I go to walmart, autozone, or AAP... the ONLY coolants are see are the typical house brands, Prestone, and some other "ALL VEHICLE" cheap coolant. Btw.. I believe there is no way a coolant can be "for all vehicles".

You guys talk about all these weird coolant that I don't even know where to find..
I wanna find the best coolant for my SpecV, I want it to meet the manufacturer specs and then some.., and to be compatible with Redline WaterWetter (it did show great results in my car).

I run 40% coolant and 60% distilled water.

Peak global lifetime or Prestone All makes/Models will work excellent if changed at 3-4 year intervals.....this is what I have used in my Q45 and original radiator lasted 12 years,original waterpump looked brand new at 203,000 miles.....what else could one wish for????

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Peak global lifetime or Prestone All makes/Models will work excellent if changed at 3-4 year intervals.....this is what I have used in my Q45 and original radiator lasted 12 years,original waterpump looked brand new at 203,000 miles.....what else could one wish for????

That actually doesn't say much... no car in my family has ever needed a new radiator... and some of them are subarus with over 300k miles.

Ok maybe I should ask which oils are not compatible with redline water wetter...

Quote:
The safest coolant for your SE-R is from dealer.
There's no disputing that statement with almost any make. That said, Nissan coolant, like most dealer coolant, is pricey, and no real information on it other than it specifies the word "green" as an equivalent. I've run Prestone AM and now Peak LL with total distilled flushes with no issues with Nissan recommended 2-3 year interval, in an 03 Altima.

Check with your dealer for price and see what you think.

I don't know about compatibilty with Water Wetter, but from what I've read on this board I'd skip it. JMO

OEM, OEM, OEM. There is a reason the owner's manual does not give a choice in the coolant section.

What is not expensive in this world? The OEM coolant is less expensve than 2 movie tickets, right. Use Nissan Long Life coolant and won't have to think about it for a very long time.

Quote:
There is a reason the owner's manual does not give a choice in the coolant section.
Not exactly an all inclusive true statement. The Nissan owners manual states 'OEM' Green or equivalent, which is not much different than any manufacturers recommendation for most any fluid or product in an owners manual by any car maker.

The difference here is Nissan is vague here about what equivalent is or what meets spec. Equivalent could mean traditional green. In my case I have no worries folowing the Nissan 2years/30k interval.

Without knowing more, I absolutely would NOT use any coolant with 2EHA in that vehicle (and that definitely includes Prestone "all makes").

Somewhere on the vehicle or in the manual, it *must* have some specification number that coolant must meet. Find it, and then you'll know for sure. My hunch would be that Zerex Asian Vehicle antifreeze would be a pretty safe pick (see www.zerex.com).

Personally I think Zerex and Peak are doing a good job of providing a line of coolants that meet various manufacturer specs. Prestone is *OFF* my list until they give up on the misguided idea that "universal" actually is a good thing. "Jack of all trades, master of none" is an appropriate metaphor.

As for where to buy it, that's never been a problem for me (Pep Boys, the local NAPAs, O'Reilly, and a few others have the full Zerex line.) I guess I'm lucky because I always read where people can't even find G-05. See if there's a "where to buy" link on the Zerex site. You can always order it.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
qship1996 said:

That actually doesn't say much... no car in my family has ever needed a new radiator... and some of them are subarus with over 300k miles.

UGH, the radiator at 12 years old was replaced due to a cracked plastic end tank that developed during replacement of the A/C compressor....my guess is the technician either dropped the battery on it or pressed his body weight on it as he leaned over it to reach the compressor, as the shop agreed to cover the cost of installing a brand new radiator. MY point is, the Prestone & Peak coolants have protected my cooling system and engine for what now is a 14 year old Nissan product......certainly they would do the same in yours- you are WAY overthinking this.{ PS, they also protected my previous car, a Infiniti{Nissan} G20 for the over 150,000 miles I drove it.....traded in with zero cooling system parts issues or replacements, including the hoses.....

I would skip the Watter Wetter also- not needed and of little benefit to street driven stock or even slightly modified engines with maintained cooling systems, and yes I have used it in the past on my 300zxturbo.

Last edited:
I'm with 440MAgnum on this. Prestone All Makes All Models = Prestone No Makes No Models.

OEM, Zerex Asian, or Peak Global Lifetime are the most appropriate for your car.

Ed

Quote:
The Zerex asian vehicle seems good but I cannot find it anywhere, and you cannot order it from the website..
Might seem like a safe pick but it only comes in premix, which means only way to get close to the concentration you want is with block drains. Also good luck finding it, not readily available. Might as well go to the dealer and get some Nissan "green" at whatever price.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The safest coolant for your SE-R is from dealer.

+1

Use this!

002.jpg

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
The Zerex asian vehicle seems good but I cannot find it anywhere, and you cannot order it from the website..

Many NAPAs are now stocking it, or can order it if you ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back