Coolant Dye leak kit

My 97 Chevrolet Cavalier has a small coolant leak somewhere. There's no coolant on the ground, nor any signs of dried coolant anywhere. I was thinking of getting one of the uv coolant dye kits to find the leak but haven't used one before. Any suggestions on brand or kits? Not sure if it's the pressurized overflow tank, etc.

The fluorescent water dye is very concentrated and cheap. But they usually make you buy far more than you need. If you know anyone who works for sewer or water services they could probably give you 1/2 ounce from a bottle they have and you would have far more than needed. A uv flashlight can by made like this. I've done this and "special glasses" were not needed.

Unless you can actually smell coolant cooking off a hot engine, Step 1 to locate a coolant leak you cant find is an oil analysis from Blackstone.

Coolant is already dyed, so don't see the point unless you're running just water. If you're absolutely sure you're loosing coolant but can't find a leak than you might have to look into the possibility that it's being burnt or mixing with the oil. Any white smoke in the exhaust, is your oil level going up?

Back