Cookies (not the kind you bake)

I'm getting tired of the constant cookie pop-up requests. I don't click on them unless the whole page freezes up.

It used to be back in the day, if you clicked on them they would slow your browser speed down.

I'm getting tired of the constant cookie pop-up requests. I don't click on them unless the whole page freezes up.

It used to be back in the day, if you clicked on them they would slow your browser speed down.
I think this comes from an EU requirement related to data collection or privacy and some companies choose to implement is across the board, no matter where you're from.

Isn't there some setting in the browser to automatically accept them?
Yes and it's certainly ON by default in every browser. I suspect the OP is referring to acknowledging that they agree to let the site use cookies.

Isn't there a way of clearing them out too?
Yes, but it's rarely needed. This isn't 1998 anymore.... I remember when a browser would ask if you wanted to clear stored cookies each time you closed your browser.

Yes and it's certainly ON by default in every browser. I suspect the OP is referring to acknowledging that they agree to let the site use cookies.
I want to stop having to "ACCEPT ALL COOKIES" and have my browser automatically accept them in the background so I don't get prompted to at nearly every new website I visit.

There are browser extensions that will do this for you. It also should only happen the first time you "accept" at each website so any return visits, you won't have to accept the prompt again. If you do, it's because you delete cookies.... which puts you in a circle of repeating prompts.

If you use Duck Duck GO as your browser it has the option to automatically accept as little cookies as possible. It also allows you to watch YouTube videos without all the ads

I want to stop having to "ACCEPT ALL COOKIES" and have my browser automatically accept them in the background so I don't get prompted to at nearly every new website I visit.
I never "accept all cookies". I limit the offerings as much as possible and save that choice.

I assume (hope anyway) this too will stop when I've been to the sites I'm likely to go to.

fiddle around with the "filter lists" section in ublock and look for "annoyances" among other lists not included in the default settings

Accepting cookies is not a bad thing. Some web sites won't work correctly without them. But never accept third party cookies. This can all be set up with your browser (which you didn't mention). When I close my browser (Brave) it goes completely dumb. Dumping browsing history and all cookies.

The Brave browser is really good, it's Chrome based. Stops most ads and cookies are how you like them in the settings.

Accepting cookies is not a bad thing. Some web sites won't work correctly without them.
People still have a misconception about cookies and what they do. Even this website uses them so they can't be bad, right ?

But never accept third party cookies.
I doubt any browser allows 3rd-party cookies by default so if a user enabled this or allowed it, that's on them.

Third party cookies are set to on or off depending on the browser. Third party cookies are ride along cookies/third party cookies that have nothing to do with the web site you are visiting. These cookies bring along unwanted pop ups, adds and can contain malicious software.

What are 3rd-party cookies anyway. Or 2nd-party cookies while I'm asking, and what is the problem with them?
Cookies are very small pieces of data left on your computer by a web site. In the instance of this web site, for example, there may be a cookie left on your computer that, when you next visit BITOG, tells the server who you are and when you last logged in: If the server has a policy of making you re-log in if you have not done so in the last 90 days, and the cookie indicates you last logged in 2 days ago, you will not be locked out and forced to re-log in. Cookies can also be helpful to determine if you had some stuff in your cart if you were at an online store.

3rd-party cookies, as the name implies, are left on your computer by someone other than the web site itself. These are almost always commercial in nature, tracking you and your habits in an effort to collect more data about you in order to more effectively market to you.

I know what cookies are. Not clear on 3rd party cookies and why they are bad if they will more effectively market to you.
When you visit BITOG, this site leaves a cookie. This is a 1st-party cookie. A 3rd-party cookie would be where a website like this one allowed a different website to leave their cookie. Sites can do this for financial reasons, scrupulous reasons, tracking and so on. I'd venture to say that no reputable website deals with 3rd-party cookies.

Back