Continental ControlContact Sport Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for tires for my son's 2013 Escape SEL 235/50/18. This tire is made just for Discount Tire, any users out there? Thanks.

For the $190/tire that DT wants for those store brand Continentals, I would be looking elsewhere.

The Michelin Premier LTX is a great choice in that size and price range.

The ControlContact Sport is a DT-exclusive private version of the older ExtremeContact DWS (no the newer DWS06)

$200 is a lot for a private label tire.

Other good, less-expensive, non-private-label choices include:
Falken Azenis PT722
Falken Ziex ZE950
Hankook Ventus S1 noble2
Kumho Solus TA71
Continental DWS06
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

I have the Continental DWS in 235/55/18. I've put about 12000 miles on them. DWS indicators still showing. Compared to OEM tires the DWS are better all around. I paid 167 per tire I think.

I just checked - those Continentals are $190/tire and the Michelin Premier LTX are $205/tire. Both have a $70 rebate. The Michelins should have much better wet traction technology than the Continentals.

Ford gave me an awesome deal on Continental tires.
The dealership matched price and I got $110 back in rebates for opening a ford card and the Continental promotion. I was well under 400 for 4 tires for the MGM.

The continetal tires I got (I think True Contacts) are excellent. The old Hankooks would spin tires on dry pavement, these really grip, even in a heavy rainstorm. At 55MPH the car felt like it was on rails. The old tires I would not go over 40 in that weather.

I'm with slacktide_bitog, there are better tires for less money. The DWS06 is reportedly a fine tire. We have the Hankook S1Noble2's on a Civic Si and so far so good at 12K miles. Both of those cost less at Tirerack with some additional rebate besides I think.

Just an aside...but who would've thought that a Focus/Kuga related crossover would every have or need a 235/50-18? That's a lot of tire. Just an observation.

Local Discount Tire store selling them to me for $137 each plus install. Conti tossing in $70 Visa card. The new DWS-06's are a lot more but tempting...

235/50/18 is the stock size for the SEL

egghead, do any of the Walmarts near you do tires? Because their prices are better, and you still get the manufacturers' rebates, such as Kumho's $100 rebate on the TA71.

Quote:
235/50/18 is the stock size for the SEL

I wasn't questioning your size choice, I knew it was stock. Apologies if I seemed to be doing that. I'm just often amazed at the sizes being used on smaller vehicles these days. They look good, no doubt, but the cost to replace can catch you out. I have 185/60-14's on my Nissan SE-R and it's gotten difficult to find "performance" tires for it like I have used throughout its life (92 model). I recently bought (had to settle for) General RT43's and felt lucky to find them, they're really pretty good. The bonus was that with rebates and such I think I paid around $50 per tire and that felt pretty good. But the other two cars in the family, well, they take gigonda tires. Win some, lose some.

I just purchased the ControlContact Sport AS for my CTS V Sport. I needed a tire for the fall and winter here in the Pacific North West. I paid 180 per tire installed, given the sizes I needed it was a very good deal. Now I have driven on them awhile mow and they have proven themselves very well balanced. They are very good in the wet, and deliver better steering response than the DWS 06 since Discount tire asked that Continental stiffen up the sidewalls a bit. You can feel the difference (although not as razor quick as the P Zeros.

Overall, the tires are great. And one of the great things about Discount Tire is you can take it back if you don't like it.

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting the DWS 06's. DT matched the DTD eBay special last month and tire price was about $161 ea., no tax + free shipping. Huge difference from OE Continentals, handling is more "point & shoot".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back