Consumer Reports rates the new Impala best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Just an observation: Every single poster in the thread thus far that has criticized the Impala and/or CR and lists vehicle in their signature owns two Asian cars.

If the first sentence in my original post wasn't obviously sarcasm, let me make it clear: it was sarcasm. The opinion of many BITOGers is that CR is just a shill for Japanese brands, and I like to acknowledge when CR gives praise to an American brand, and in the case of the new Impala, rightly so.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Ive noticed this on Bitog. Everybody is about BMW, Toyota, and Honda. American branded cars are junk.

American cars are Ok...just too expensive for what you get versus what else is out there. There are lots of choices out there now and the quality levels are pretty good all around. The new Impala is a nice looking car but at the end of the day it's still a Chevy. Fit and finish of the interior is the dead give away when you sit in one. They should have used the Caprice brand to differentiate it. The Impala should be compared to the Toyota Avalon.

I agree. I like a few American cars, but Japan still has more of what i like.

Domestics have come along way and are making good cars these days, but they still lag behind Japan.

Totally agree, IMO the only thing GM vehicles have over Toys and Hondas is the smoooth comfy ride. Seems like GM and Ford are catching up to the Japs. I've been looking at Buicks for it's comfy ride (getting too old) but the cost of purchase and ownership just isn't right for me.

Just goes to show that CR is not biased and report the truth from their testing. "science don't lie, people do." and CR, I believe, is the reporting agency that reports the truth (from testing), no matter how much it pains people who are brand-loyal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
We all know that CR hates domestic auto makers, so this must be a mistake...

Nonetheless, Consumer Reports has a high opinion of the new Impala.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/25/chevrolet-impala-consumer-reports/2585571/

Fodder for the mindless brand bashers! Come and get it!

Just saw one at the stealership the other day. Sure looks nice. I also heard these will be coming in with the excellent little turbo 4 banger. If so that could mean some great mileage numbers, too.

It did very well in this comparo against its competition. No LX460's though...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...comparison-test

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Ive noticed this on Bitog. Everybody is about BMW, Toyota, and Honda. American branded cars are junk.

American cars are Ok...just too expensive for what you get versus what else is out there. There are lots of choices out there now and the quality levels are pretty good all around. The new Impala is a nice looking car but at the end of the day it's still a Chevy. Fit and finish of the interior is the dead give away when you sit in one. They should have used the Caprice brand to differentiate it. The Impala should be compared to the Toyota Avalon.

You can get a $35K Accord or Camry ... at the end of the day ... they are just a Honda and a Toyota.

Oh, wait. I'm sorry! Japanese cars are perfect in every aspect,and can go 500,000,000 miles with no maintenance!

Why can't we give credit where credit is due? GM has done an excellent job of turning themselves around!

I just looked at BOTH cars on Saturday.....Avalon is $32k and Impala decked out the same is $34. I did not look at a Camry or Honda Accord. But the Camry SE is $28k equipped the same way FYI.

Last edited:
Wow ...
Apparently, anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.

I find it hard to believe that folks still spout that silly "buy American" [censored] about cars these days. GM likely builds more cars outside the US than Honda and Toyota. GM has car factories in 15 different countries outside America.

Wake up people - car companies don;t have nationalities - they are corporate multinationals that design and build cars all over the world.

For example Honda, Toyota, Mercedes and BMW have had huge car manufacturing plants in the US for many years. They actually build some of their cars in the US and export them to several other countries.

Last edited:
A good number of BITOG members like to complain that CR has an anti-US bias, even though some of the well-regarded American cars are pretty well rated by CR.

But when CR rates an American car very highly, some BITOG'ers claim they're doing it wrong.

Oh, BITOG. You so crazy...

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
The chances of the Impala being "competitive" with a Lexus LS460, or even approaching it's reliability and resale value are slim to none.

I don't believe CR uses reliability or resale when computing the raw numerical score. I believe the score is only based on their test driving and overall opinions of the car. The reliability info is used for other things like their recommended models and articles they write about reliability.

It's up the individual buyer to decide what's best in their price range and what fits their needs the best. Will the Impala be the best choice for every buyer? No. But this is just another review showing that the new Impala is probably pretty good. I'd never buy one, but I don't think I'd buy any car in that segment.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Just an observation: Every single poster in the thread thus far that has criticized the Impala and/or CR and lists vehicle in their signature owns two Asian cars.

Curious.

Also, because BITOG, if CR were talking about the Fusion, this thread would be at 5 pages with heaps of praise from the Ford boosters.

I didn't bash the Impala.In fact I said it was a good car.
I can pick out things I don't like on ANY vehicle.

Definitely looks nice. I was selling new Chevys in 2006-2007. Those Impalas rode nice and were quiet but to me they looked cheaply put together. This one looks like a nice improvement. If they price it right and offer the right incentives it will sell like crazy. When it comes to larger cars like the Impala, Crown Vic, etc. I have to give the nod to the Big 3. Same with trucks. I do think that the import brands do a slightly better job at compact and subcompact cars than GM, Ford, and Chrysler. With some of the newer cars like the Cruze,Dart, and the new Focus, this is beginning to change too. I think the Big 3 are making a nice comeback.

2014 Chevrolet Impala will be built at GM's plant in Hamtramck, Michigan, and at the Canadian plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

I find it hard to believe that folks still spout that silly "buy American" [censored] about cars these days. GM likely builds more cars outside the US than Honda and Toyota. GM has car factories in 15 different countries outside America.

Wake up people - car companies don;t have nationalities - they are corporate multinationals that design and build cars all over the world.

For example Honda, Toyota, Mercedes and BMW have had huge car manufacturing plants in the US for many years. They actually build some of their cars in the US and export them to several other countries.

True. I got the whole buy American speech when I was buying my Subaru. Most people don't know the Legacy is built in Indiana.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I wonder how much they got paid?

No one in their right mind would cross shop an Impala and an LS460. LMAO

Somehow I think C/R meant a ES350.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Ive always liked the impala but after a few years repairs become a factor and the maintenance required will be far more costly than a toyota/subaru. I like high resale, durability and low cost to maintain as my priorities. Not to say its not a great car, there are just better options.

Completely agree with you! My 2010 Impala was very nice when new. 70K miles and 3 years later and it feels very old and raggedy. Lots of rattles and "nickle and dime" repairs. No major issues but lots of little stuff like random electrical wires breaking, fluid leaks, fan motors going bad etc. Never had a car with so many weird issues.

Maybe the new one will be better. I have a Ford and a Chevy, I have always liked the driving experience of the Chevy more but would seriously think before getting another one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: cashmoney

True. I got the whole buy American speech when I was buying my Subaru. Most people don't know the Legacy is built in Indiana.

Absolutely - most people spouting this buy America stuff are very typically poorly informed and clue-free. Hey I understand supporting the US if you are a US citizen, Germany if you are a German, etc ..this is a multinational board after all although lots of folks on bitog don't understand that fact either. Its 100% OK to be patriotic but it helps to actually have your facts straight when doing so.

Last edited:
I won't join the CR banter or which one is better banter, but could the folks who have non GM cars tell me how you know about maintenance cost on them? It is down right cheap. Not sure where you get your data, but you should take a look at my sig.
No timing belts, valve adjustments, good transmissions. I would bet the Average Honda or Toyota cost just as much if not more to maintain. I won't get started on Subaru. The guy I work with has a 2006 WRX and in the past year has dumbed 2500 bucks into in normal maintenance. None of my GM cars have needed that ever.

You can argue the other stuff because it is subjective. The new GM interiors are just as nice as everyone else. Sit in an Equinox then go sit in a RAV4, CR-V or the like. We did when we got ours. The RAV-4 and CRV-V were cheap, tinny and loud.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I wonder how much they got paid?

No one in their right mind would cross shop an Impala and an LS460. LMAO

I just wanted to point something out.

a lot of people seem to be clamping on to the comment that CR says the "Impala is competitive with cars that cost $20,000 more, including the Audi A6 and Lexus LS460L, as well as the recently reviewed Acura RLX and Jaguar XF."

CR does not say the impala is in the same class as these cars.

I just looked and the Impala is tested in the "upscale sedan" category. The LS460, Audi A6 and others are in the "luxury sedans" category. CR was simply saying it's competitive with some higher priced models, not that it's better. They don't even put the impala in the same testing class as those models.

Here are the top rankings in the "upscale sedans" category:
-Impala
-Hyundai Genesis
-Toyota Avalon
-Chrysler 300
-Acura TL
-Lexus ES 300h
-Licoln MkZ
-Hyundai Azera
-Lexus ES 350

Here are just a handful of the top rated "luxury sedans" (again, the Impala is not in this category):
-Tesla Model s
-Audi A6
-Infinity M37
-Lexus LS 460

LOL Impala vs LS Lexus...

We have no real bias toward any auto maker country of origin, as we don't have / never had 2 cars made in the same country...
We own/have owned US/German/Japanese (completely Japanese, not Japanese made in US) and Korean vehicles, and they all have their strengths in certain models, but this new Impala personally looks blah to me.

To me, the most exciting mid-class/mid-size sedan is still the 2014 Mazda 6 - amazing car, on so many levels-after driving some long distances lately, I can really be confident that we made the right choice.

I haven't driven a new Impala, but to me personally, it doesn't look very inviting.

Wow ...

Apparently no one is allowed to say anything good about american cars ...

Point taken.

Anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.

Uhhh.... Everybody??? :p

You'd think enough people would have been poisoned by the Toyota Kool-aid that folks would stop drinking it, but apparently not.

I honestly don't know or care that much about the new Impala, because being a front-drive its very much on my "I don't give a rip" list. But then neither do the people who are ASSuming it will be a value-dropping maintenance-hog.

Wow ...

Apparently no one is allowed to say anything good about american cars ...

Point taken.

Anyone who buys american cars is buying an enormous PoS and is going to waste a ton of maintenance on it. Gotcha.
Note the use of the term "American branded" since so many "American" cars are made "elsewhere" and hated Japanese brands are built right here is the USA, by Americans.

Oh and I owned a TDI, what a pile. You want to talk about maintenance cost? For I put into that in 80,000 miles. I could have bought my Buick. Which IMO is nicer than my Jetta ever was.
Why you ask? It never left me stranded 5 hours from with a bad neutral park safety switch and the it failed 4 different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back