Consumer Reports: 10 Cars That Will Go 200k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Consumer Reports says the choices are based on results of its annual research survey, which encompasses responses on 1.1-million vehicles. The high-mileage cars are all plain-janes — no luxury models. Even the fancier versions of the models listed sometimes got them booted from the list.

In other words, it's a list of cars that consumer reports readers are most likely to keep to 200K, not a list of cars that will go 200K.

Ed

Just more rubbish from CR. I would think any car today with proper maintenance will easily go 200K miles, the question is, will the owner(s) be willing to do the mainteance so it will get there? That is what CR should discuss, not their useless biased drivel and opinion.

This list seems pretty reasonable. My dad leased a lot of cars from the early 90's through mid 2000's. I have no doubt that a Toyota/Honda will hit 200k much more trouble free than most American cars of that same time period. Anyone who thinks all cars are about the same is simply in denial, period. The gap has certainly closed, but Toyota/Hondas have historically been built much better overall and are usually more trouble free.

Depends on the era. Anything from Honda or Toyota built from the 70s through the early 90s rarely made it to 200k around here. The frames/unibody and body were shot to [censored] long before that mark. Even a lot of mid to late 90s and early 00's were very hit and miss. Good running gear is meaningless if the vehicle is falling apart around it. Only recently have they figured out how to make a vehicle last more than 10 years in the rust belt.

Originally Posted By: buster
This list seems pretty reasonable. My dad leased a lot of cars from the early 90's through mid 2000's. I have no doubt that a Toyota/Honda will hit 200k much more trouble free than most American cars of that same time period. Anyone who thinks all cars are about the same is simply in denial, period. The gap has certainly closed, but Toyota/Hondas have historically been built much better overall and are usually more trouble free.

Depends what you get. American trucks are hands down better than imports. Certain American cars are better too. I had an Impala 3.4 that was almost perfect. No major issues and parts were cheap. Besides, once something gets 2ooK on it, it's a pile of [censored] anyways no matter what the make, unless it was highway miles piled on quick. But at 12K per year, it's time for a new car when it's at 200K. Life is too short to drive junk.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Just more rubbish from CR. I would think any car today with proper maintenance will easily go 200K miles, the question is, will the owner(s) be willing to do the mainteance so it will get there? That is what CR should discuss, not their useless biased drivel and opinion.
Depends how you define "easily go 200K miles". My Honda V6 has required the usual routine transmission change at 70K, all engine mounts, ignition coil, EGR passage cleaning, subframe adjusting and other repairs well below 100K miles. In this case, it has reached nowhere near 200K and has required lots of repairs. Always, maintenance done by the book except transmission fluid changed more than 5 times before 70K miles with Honda brand fluid. If easily includes lots of expensive repairs, then yes, it can easily go 200K miles.

you dont need a v6 in a accord anyway. and besides you should have known about the bad transmissions. its called research

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
European cars are much easier to work on, I detest working on American or Asian cars. They are not built with the mechanic in mind.

They also rape you on parts costs and offer poor parts support as the vehicles age.

Interestingly when I owned a 95 Civic Coupe with 200k+ I used a pure Euro garage(Porsche/MB/BMW/Jag/Land Rover) and renowned at end of my street for occasional repair and maintenance. All the mechanics/owner stated what a joy of a car to work on.

I yet to own Euro car that did not hit 200K.
Owning Euro car is like maintaining plane. Everything is about checklist. If you follow checklist, make sure you use proper lubricants (which it is apparently problem for a lot of people) it will serve more then 200K.
I have almost 100K on my CC, still does not burn drop of oil, and I am pushing that engine sometimes so hard that I have to turn on heating to cool off engine.
So far on CC only issue I had is some bad wire that prevented me from opening trunk electronically.
However, due to the third world roads in Colorado Springs, I might have to replace all ball joints and bushings on front suspension.

My 1990 Mazda Miata currently has 378,000 Km on the clock (235,000 Mi). I bought a used fresh motor and trans for it (30,000 mi) but was waiting for the original drivetrain to give up before I installed it.

Got tired of waiting, did the swap 10,000 km ago.

Last edited:
My oh my, what many here seem to call normal is absolutely frightening to me.

I can't even remember the last time I ever had a thermostat fail, and around here water pumps are anywhere from 250k miles and on out, sometimes never.

I would have died a long time ago if all the vehicles in my stable required that much maintenance!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I can't even remember the last time I ever had a thermostat fail, and around here water pumps are anywhere from 250k miles and on out, sometimes never.

That's great service -- I've never had a water pump last more than about 150k miles, on anything. Our Grand Caravan's pump started weeping at less than 80k!

That said, I can't be sure if the water pump on my Nissan truck (with 180k on it) was original. I did have to replace the water pump on my Dodge Dakota (with about 175k on it), but I don't know if it was the original pump or not.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My oh my, what many here seem to call normal is absolutely frightening to me.

I would have died a long time ago if all the vehicles in my stable required that much maintenance!

I've had good luck with thermostats, as in "never" for need for replacement in all of my vehicles for the past couple of decades. I assumed it was some other brand's problem.

Water pumps are all over the map. The Taurus needed a new one every 2 years, Ford OEM or rebuilt, high or low mileage those years, it didn't matter, it leaked after 2 years. The Dakota needed one after 8 years and that's lasted 6 years already.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
BMWTurboDzl said:
I laughed when CEO of large VW dealer told in the newspaper that people should replace cars more often because maintenance becomes so expensive with older cars. And guess what his example was, VW Golf! Stay away from VW and Audi
smile.gif

Someone who sells new cars is probably not the most reliable source of information or opinion on vehicle longevity.

VW maintenance is not exceptionally expensive unless you have it done at VW dealerships. The last VW I bought (not my daily driver in the signature) had a complete history of maintenance and repairs and nearly everything was done at a VW dealership. He even paid them to replace headlight bulbs!

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
BMWTurboDzl said:
I laughed when CEO of large VW dealer told in the newspaper that people should replace cars more often because maintenance becomes so expensive with older cars. And guess what his example was, VW Golf! Stay away from VW and Audi
smile.gif

Someone who sells new cars is probably not the most reliable source of information or opinion on vehicle longevity.

VW maintenance is not exceptionally expensive unless you have it done at VW dealerships. The last VW I bought (not my daily driver in the signature) had a complete history of maintenance and repairs and nearly everything was done at a VW dealership. He even paid them to replace headlight bulbs!

I've had the same experience with 2 Golfs, 2 Jettas, and a Beetle (all TDIs)
All were either bought new or used with an excellent dealer service history, used to commute hundreds of miles a week and did so with very little to no drama. The Beetle we currently have has the least amount of miles of them all at 250k with no plans of selling it anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back