Consumer Reports: 10 Cars That Will Go 200k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem with the list but as others have said, i'm sure many more vehicles can achieve the same.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
200k is easy if you keep the fluids changed often enough.

That's what I thought until my well-kept and synthetic-fed Subaru spun a rod bearing at 104k miles.

The owners of such vehicles tend to take basic care of them better I think because they like the vehicles to start, they tend to be okay reliability and the perception they last in the first place.

Remember the majority in the list are 10+ years ago and domestic stuff was not even close then unlike similar now.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

That's what I thought until my well-kept and synthetic-fed Subaru spun a rod bearing at 104k miles.

This seems pretty common with Subarus. Guy I know bought late-ish wrx without doing any prior research. Basically he is now afraid to use car daily, and thinks of buying second car for commuting.

My dino fed every 3500 miles turbo Subaru Legacy did not spin a bearing but burned a valve at 170k. $3k but apparently the internals and turbo were pristine. Apparently a poor stock tune is believed to be cause as this issue has not happened with aftermarket ECU tunes you can purchase or have done.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

In other words, it's a list of cars that consumer reports readers are most likely to keep to 200K, not a list of cars that will go 200K.

Ed

+1

that's what i said in the other thread on this very same thing. for cars to rack a lot of miles, they have to be popular (among CR subscribers why respond to the survey), reliable, and fuel efficient. otherwise they are garage queens.

agree. when i changed diff fluids in subaru at 40000 miles, they looked like silver paint. there was rear diff whine by 60000 miles when i got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
As BMW repair guru Mike Miller will always say "A car will last about as long as you're willing to maintain it".

That's true, but some cars remain economical to maintain for longer than others, and thus will clock more miles on average.

I laughed when CEO of large VW dealer told in the newspaper that people should replace cars more often because maintenance becomes so expensive with older cars. And guess what his example was, VW Golf! Stay away from VW and Audi
smile.gif

In my youth, I drove Fiats that were "Too expensive to maintain" and were given up by original owners. I suspect current VWs are in a similar class. I did a lot of fun, cheap driving in Fiats......They were only cheap if you could be a driver mechanic. Or.....A mechanic driver, depending.

I can attest to one on the list, 01 Civic EX AT ~225+k miles purchased new.

Besides normal maintenance items, brakes, plugs, fluids etc. it has needed a head gasket, radiator and most recently lower control arm compliance bushings.

And as it's rarely been garaged had the headliner replaced some years back.

Engine and trans still runs shifts(knock wood) well. But the little things like interior, auto door locks (pass side), rear speakers shot. Things not worth fixing at this point imo. Just getting a bit long in the tooth. And thanks to no salt here, body/paint still in relatively decent shape.

Originally Posted By: harbinger
Any consumer auto engine will go 200k if you use light in the winter and heavy oil in the summer.

Wow, there's a blast from the past.

Um, post #2, welcome to BITOG.

Quote:
In other words, it's a list of cars that consumer reports readers are most likely to keep to 200K, not a list of cars that will go 200K.
True. Cars CR readers kept to 200k. But with how many repairs at what cost? And, compared to others, willingness of a CR reader to get rid of a car and spend $$$$ on a different car. There is a Honda V6 on the list. My Honda V6 is far below 200K and has needed many expensive repairs including the transmission, power windows, smog system, Srs system, multiple brake rotors, wheel bearings, doors, muffler, all engine transmission mounts. In contrast, my older Chrysler and Ford have not had so many issues or such expensive issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The V6 Camry wasn't on that list but the 4 was. My wife had an Accord years ago. Replaced it with a Mazda which she traded in for a new Audi. Her Audi is her favorite car she's ever had. Some people don't care if they have the most reliable vehicle.

Good point. Immortality is overrated. Also, there's a diminishing return to vehicle longevity.

Originally Posted By: thrace
Quote:
True. Cars CR readers kept to 200k. But with how many repairs at what cost? And, compared to others, willingness of a CR reader to get rid of a car and spend $$$$ on a different car. There is a Honda V6 on the list. My Honda V6 is far below 200K and has needed many expensive repairs including the transmission, power windows, smog system, Srs system, multiple brake rotors, wheel bearings, doors, muffler, all engine transmission mounts. In contrast, my older Chrysler and Ford have not had so many issues or such expensive issues.

Personally, I think that there ares several variables here.
First, I am coming from Europe, part of Europe where only Japanese car you will see are Toyota LC's modified for police special forces that they use together with Puch-G and Land Rover Defender.
On other hand, VW is what in the U.S> is Camry, or even more. I yet to see VW that cannot make 200 or 300K if you maintain well, and by well I mean: change oil on time, use roper oil, change filters, and at 100-110K change water pump, and all belts.
While I will probably very soon buy Japanese SUV (Highlander or Pathfinder, 2011-2012) bcs I need 7 seaters, some of my family members have Japanese cars. Kudos to Japanese manufacturers how they can figure out to simplify things. What is not fun is that I still have to drive Japanese car that has proper brakes (I am not talking about GT-R), brakes that will not wrap after 20-30K etc. What I also noticed is that owners of those Japanese cars in my family have no clue about anything in the car. I once showed oil filter to one of my family members that drives Honda Pilot (2004) he said: what is that?
So, why for example European cars are not on the list? bcs my family member who drives Pilot wants to eventually buy Audi. When I explained him about oils etc, he said: man you lost me half way into conversation. I said: stick to Honda.

Some here have suggested the cars on the list are only there because they're the ones that CU readers are most likely to have kept for 200,000 miles. But isn't that exactly the point?

Irv Gordon has driven his Volvo P1800 for 3,000,000 miles. To do that he had to start with a basically good car, but then he had to want to drive it, and fix it, and keep driving it for almost a lifetime. If he wanted a new car, he resisted - he just kept driving the old one.

If a car breaks down a lot or is very expensive to repair, you're not going to hang onto it and keep repairing and driving.

If a car gives terrible fuel economy, you're less likely to really rack up the miles.

If a car isn't at least a bit fun to drive, you're not going to want to keep driving it.

I have a Honda Accord V6 6MT and a BMW 528i 5MT. They're both nice cars. The BMW is way nicer to drive, but I put far more miles on the Honda. I don't exactly know why but I suspect it has something to do with getting better mileage on non-premium fuel, expecting the Honda to be more reliable on a long trip - ie less likely to break down and leave you in the middle of no-where, being more likely to find parts and a mechanic who can fix a Honda in some small place, and maybe most important of all being generally less expensive to maintain and repair.

So cars that a lot of people are puting 200,000 miles on are cars we should consider carefully when we're thinking of buying a car. I know I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back