Confused about what to use in F350 transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on the Amsoil website. They will tell you which Amsoil ATF to use. I would go with Amsoil ATF. It will last a long time and is superior to anything else. But Redline and M1 come close.

I believe your year model should call for Mercon SP which has now been replaced by Mercon LV.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I believe your year model should call for Mercon SP which has now been replaced by Mercon LV.

This. NOT Mercon V in a Torqshift. You should also replace the pan filter and the toilet paper roll filter on the side of the case.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Pull the dipstick out, it will tell you what you need. Likely Mercon V.

Yes...but that was almost 10 years ago.
smile.gif

Here is my confusion. Is "MD3" not "Mercon Dexron III" without the license? Is that what I need?

I like to use the cheap stuff so I can drain the pan on a regular basis. I'm not going to do a flush.

Originally Posted By: Number21
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Pull the dipstick out, it will tell you what you need. Likely Mercon V.

Yes...but that was almost 10 years ago.
smile.gif

Here is my confusion. Is "MD3" not "Mercon Dexron III" without the license? Is that what I need?

I like to use the cheap stuff so I can drain the pan on a regular basis. I'm not going to do a flush.

If MD3 is not rated for Mercon SP or Mercon LV then it is the wrong fluid. The Torqahift never took Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If MD3 is not rated for Mercon SP or Mercon LV then it is the wrong fluid.

That's what I am asking. Is it?

Quote:
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid MD-3 is a passenger car and light truck automatic transmission fluid for most pre-2006 automatic transmissions built by General Motors, Ford Motor Company and other makes requiring a high-performance, multi-purpose, power transmission fluid. It is recommended for all applications that call for the former DEXRON® III and MERCON® fluids and for Allison C-4 fluids.

They are being very careful not to call it Mercon or Dexron. Is "Mercon" and "Mercon SP" a different thing?

Originally Posted By: Number21
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If MD3 is not rated for Mercon SP or Mercon LV then it is the wrong fluid.

That's what I am asking. Is it?

Quote:
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid MD-3 is a passenger car and light truck automatic transmission fluid for most pre-2006 automatic transmissions built by General Motors, Ford Motor Company and other makes requiring a high-performance, multi-purpose, power transmission fluid. It is recommended for all applications that call for the former DEXRON® III and MERCON® fluids and for Allison C-4 fluids.

They are being very careful not to call it Mercon or Dexron. Is "Mercon" and "Mercon SP" a different thing?

Yes, Mercon SP is a different fluid. Ford authorized Mercon LV to be used in the place of SP in the Torqshift transmissions if the system is fully flushed. The reman units come filled with LV now.

You really need to study your Owner's Manual and determine what Ford specifies.

Chevron MD-3 is simply Checron's Dex/Merc fluid, or what we call, DexronIII/Mercon.

Quote:
Formulated for applications that call for the former
DEXRON®-III H, MERCON® , and Allison C-4 fluids.1

Checron Merc-Dex 3

IF the tranny requires a 7.0 to 7.5 cSt ATF and that it is behind a diesel, I would use the following:

Amsoil TorqueDrive

since it is in reality a HD DexronIII/Mercon fluid.

If it requiires a lower viscosity fluid such as Mercon LV, the Amsoil ATL would the better choice:

AMsoil ATL

Last edited:
Mercon SP is what your truck calls for, and Ford says that Mercon LV can be used.
Be extremely careful when cross-referencing fluids for this transmission as they operate flawlessly with the proper fluid and not so good with improper fluid.

You don't have to worry about the internal filter as its a rock catcher and only needs to be replaced if an rebuild is needed. The external transmission filter located on the right frame rail needs to be changed every service interval.

The correct fluid can be obtained at any Ford dealer, generally in the $5 per quart range, its just not worth it to try another brand.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
You really need to study your Owner's Manual and determine what Ford specifies.

My manual was written 10 years ago. This whole thread is about what is specified today. I doubt any of the specs written 10 years ago are current...

I guess I'll look for the Mercon LV. I'm not going to use something like Amsoil if I just drain the pan, that is less than half the fluid. It will get drained often regardless.

What was written in your manual 10 years ago is still current, with the exception if Mercon LV.
It was rumored that Mercon SP was going to be discontinued and replaced with LV.
Mercon SP never went away and LV is acceptable for use in your Torqshift.

I have driven one of these since early '04 and prefer the SP since its readily available and originally speced.

SP is still required for the ZF automatics used in the Navigator /
Expedition / Explorer applications. I have customers that prefer SP in their Torqshifts and others that are fine with LV.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04f23og3e.pdf

page 286 of the 3rd printing of the owners manual.

Calls for Mercon SP.

Use a properly licensed fluid, or one you really trust to be "same as", and not some miracle one-size-fits-all ATF.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx

SP is still available.

The first printing of that owners manual is from '03 -- the third is from '04. Here's a much more recent take on the issue:

Ford Special Service Message 21114

MESSAGE TITLE: REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR SERVICING TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2003 - 2005 TRUCK : 00126 EXCURSION
2003 - 2008 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2004 - 2008 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2006 - 2008 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME
2006 - 2008 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
ALL 2003-2008 F-SUPER DUTY, 2003-2005 EXCURSION, 2004-2008 E-SERIES AND 2006-2008 LCF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS SHOULD BE SERVICED WITH MERCON LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IN PLACE OF MERCON SP. THIS INCLUDES TOP OFF AS WELL AS FLUID REPLACEMENT. MIXING MERCON LV AND MERCON SP IN THE TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION IS ACCEPTABLE. USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID TO SERVICE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS. WHEN ADDING OR REPLACING TRANSMISSION FLUID IN A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION, USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID.

The reason for all of the different advice is Ford made a mess of it in the beginning.
When the Torqshift was introduced there were many warnings of to use only SP. The LV, when introduced was said NOT to be used in the Torqshiht transmission.

It wasn't until several years later, when Ford was going to be doing away with SP, that they allowed the use of LV.

I prefer the SP as I don't really like mixing different types of fluid, but as stated above both are suitable for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back