Comments or thoughts on daughters extended warranty claim denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick to your guns. Go to another dealer if you have to and pester Ford.

That issue with the 1.5L 4 popper is well known. The engine in my company Escape was replaced at 18 thousand miles for the same thing, as was 3/4 of our Service (my team) and Operations teams as well as Managers, PM, Sales and others driving Escapes all in the Boston area.
One guy on my team had his engine replaced twice for the same thing.

Hi everyone, Mike from Manitoba here.

Last week our daughters 2017 Ford Escape 1.5 Lt had to be towed to the dealer because the high temp light came on and the car went into limp mode.
She was not worried at first because she had the extended warranty and had all oil changes etc done there as scheduled.( car has around 125000 km).
Then they tell her some coolant leaked into the block and caused engine failure and the repair cost is $8000 plus taxes . And unknown to her (and me) her claim
will not be covered because she never had her tires rotated as written in the small print. She said nobody told her it was required but its in the papers when you read every last word. I haver never heard of that in my life and I'm almost 65. So she is really stuck, they probably won't give her much on a trade , she is making payments
on a car she can't drive and she does not really want to part with the 8-9 grand to fix it. I did some online looking and is is a fairly common issue on these cars.
It has been a good vehicle up till now. Has any one else had a claim not covered due to tires not rotated, and what should we do with the car now?
So this is a company that will deny warranty because you have BLUE windshield washer fluid in the winter when the warranty states you must have PURPLE windshield washer fluid in the washer tank to keep ANY form of warranty. I would fight this one with a lawyer and then if that did not work I would picket the dealerships who carry this BS warranty. No one would be buying that insurance with my 4ft X16ft sign. That insurance company can choke my name down at their daily meetings. I would be sending hourly videos and pictures to their company to look at in those meetings. $ 8,000 for my motor or $8,000 PLUS less sales of their crap warranty to would be buyers.

Last edited:
I worked for an extended warranty administrator for a little over 3 years, here in the U.S. Canadian warranty may be pretty much the same as one here. The warranties I worked with were valid in the U.S. and Canada. Anyway, OP and his daughter will need to read the mouse print on the warranty contract. If it specifically states, in black and white, no uncertain terms, the tires have to be rotated at that selling dealer along with all other maintenance services or they have the right to deny any warranty claim then OP very likely has no recourse.

The maintenance requirement is how a lot of warranty companies and dealers weasel out of paying claims, especially expensive claims like this. They use the contract to say "oh you didn't bring it in for every single little service so we can not verify the maintenance history, sorry we don't cover it." If that contract does not specifically give the dealer the right to deny the claim, then OP and his daughter need to first speak to the Service Manager or Parts and Service Director at the dealer. Not the service advisor, you need to speak to a decision maker at the dealer. If the dealer is unwilling to budge then OP can possibly call the warranty administrator directly but they will very likely stand behind the dealer's decision. In that case, a lawyer may be able to get the dealer or warranty admin to cover it but again, OP and the lawyer have to read the contract word for word and see if the dealer can legally deny the claim. I don't really know what Ford itself would say but it can't hurt to ask them, if it comes to that and if it is a known problem with that engine. A lot of times the manufacturer stands behind the dealer as well, even more so on a third party non-OEM extended warranty contract.

This all depends on how that warranty contract is written, it does not matter whether the lawyer or anyone else can force the dealer to prove that not rotating tires blew up an engine, even though anyone with the sense of a billy goat knows darn well otherwise. I tried to Google the Tricare warranty, did not get a lot of info, but what I did find was not good. A lot of warranty contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on and are nothing but pure profit for dealers because they use every trick in the book to weasel out of paying claims. If it's the dealer being so pig-headed about it chances are it is like a self-insured warranty where repairs come off the dealer's P&L. That is why they dig their heels in like this. Things like this are exactly why I quit my job at the warranty adminstrator. I got so tired of seeing customers get screwed over. I also got real tired of people screaming at me about it every day. I will never again work in the car business, not in any shape, form or fashion. I wish OP and his daughter the best of luck with this.

As a Dealer Tech, I would rec. go see Dealer GM. If she bought this there, and serviced there, and they didn't rec. rotates(not that this FA to do with an engine!!!), then this is just crap that they are pulling this. Be nice at first, don't go in irate/talk of sueing, etc, just see where this goes first.
And this is another good example to NEVER EVER buy an aftermarket warr. they are ALL garbage. If you want an extended warr. always buy OEM. We sell both and its ALWAYS a pain to get them to cover something, they look for ANY excuse to deny.

I worked for an extended warranty administrator for a little over 3 years, here in the U.S. Canadian warranty may be pretty much the same as one here. The warranties I worked with were valid in the U.S. and Canada. Anyway, OP and his daughter will need to read the mouse print on the warranty contract. If it specifically states, in black and white, no uncertain terms, the tires have to be rotated at that selling dealer along with all other maintenance services or they have the right to deny any warranty claim then OP very likely has no recourse.

The maintenance requirement is how a lot of warranty companies and dealers weasel out of paying claims, especially expensive claims like this. They use the contract to say "oh you didn't bring it in for every single little service so we can not verify the maintenance history, sorry we don't cover it." If that contract does not specifically give the dealer the right to deny the claim, then OP and his daughter need to first speak to the Service Manager or Parts and Service Director at the dealer. Not the service advisor, you need to speak to a decision maker at the dealer. If the dealer is unwilling to budge then OP can possibly call the warranty administrator directly but they will very likely stand behind the dealer's decision. In that case, a lawyer may be able to get the dealer or warranty admin to cover it but again, OP and the lawyer have to read the contract word for word and see if the dealer can legally deny the claim. I don't really know what Ford itself would say but it can't hurt to ask them, if it comes to that and if it is a known problem with that engine. A lot of times the manufacturer stands behind the dealer as well, even more so on a third party non-OEM extended warranty contract.

This all depends on how that warranty contract is written, it does not matter whether the lawyer or anyone else can force the dealer to prove that not rotating tires blew up an engine, even though anyone with the sense of a billy goat knows darn well otherwise. I tried to Google the Tricare warranty, did not get a lot of info, but what I did find was not good. A lot of warranty contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on and are nothing but pure profit for dealers because they use every trick in the book to weasel out of paying claims. If it's the dealer being so pig-headed about it chances are it is like a self-insured warranty where repairs come off the dealer's P&L. That is why they dig their heels in like this. Things like this are exactly why I quit my job at the warranty adminstrator. I got so tired of seeing customers get screwed over. I also got real tired of people screaming at me about it every day. I will never again work in the car business, not in any shape, form or fashion. I wish OP and his daughter the best of luck with this.
That is way IF you do buy a warranty, it must be a factory extended warranty, as there you at least have a chance.

Did she get anything in writing from the dealership regarding the declined coverage? If not I would have her get it in writing and take that along with her warranty paperwork and consult with an attorney so she knows for sure what her rights are. We can really only speculate without seeing the contract word for word.

So they didn’t do the tire rotations? Are they claiming she should have told them to do it without them taking the initiative?
Yeah this is nonsense . Failure to mention rotating $700 in tires equals acceptance of voiding warranty on a $X,XXX.xx internal engine failure/repair?
I know Ford used to pull the 'not an authorized Ford Dealer (franchise)' crap here in the US. But the 'windshield wipers are streaking, therefore warranty is broken' crap is just that.
this is why I drive thirty+ year old cars. Just me & my ratchets. No fighting over warranty. : (
You may have to slow play this, try to contact a regional advisor . The local klowns want your $$$$.

Last edited:
Shame on you for not rotating your tires. Now you done blew the engine............

What a hot reeking pile of malarkey this warranty company is. The only worthwhile extended warranty is a factory extended one. 3rd party ones aren't worth the pot to piss in.

Agreed.

In court: "Please explain to me just how not having tires rotated at the dealership caused an engine failure?"
Unfortunately, it is not about the mechanical aspect of the claim. All of us here on BITOG and pretty much anyone else with even a shred of mechanical aptitude knows rotating tires has absolutely nothing to do with overheating an engine. That is not what this claim will be about; it will be about how the third party extended warranty contract is written. If that warranty specifically states the tire rotation and all other maintenance must be done at that dealer where she bought the car otherwise all repair claims are void/not paid then contractually that's that. The dealer is not legally or contractually bound to honor the claim due to the terms of that contract. Chances are almost certain any argument against that would not hold up in any court, whether here in the States or Canada or any other country.

Now the question remains, will the dealership do the morally right thing, stand behind their vehicle and either eat the cost of the repairs or at least offer OP's daughter some sort of assistance/meet her half way on the cost, she pays for parts and dealer pays labor, etc? That is up to the dealer management to decide. It also boils down to the fact the car is out of Ford Warranty and the dealer has to be paid for the parts and labor, and if that warranty is written so that claims are denied for not rotating tires, then the dealer knows the warranty admin will not pay the claim and the dealer would be on the hook for an $8,000.00 engine repair. It's all about the money. The dealer has to get paid for parts and the tech is on a flat rate to fix the car so he has to be paid for his time too.

The best hope of getting the dealer to eat the cost of the repair is if the warranty is one that works on an in-house/dealer self-pay basis. In that case the dealer sells the car and warranty with it and the dealer has their own account with funds on their P&L to pay for any repairs done under the warranty. Problem is the warranty admin may not approve it that way. It is very likely they will have to run it past an underwriter or approver and I know from experience it is just about impossible to get underwriter approval on those kind of claims. I really hope the dealer and/or Ford itself just does the right thing on this and either handles the entire cost internally or offers some other kind of real help to OP and his daughter.

Chances are almost certain any argument against that would not hold up in any court, whether here in the States or Canada or any other country.

ducky.gif
Sir, you need to give it a rest. Things don't work out according to your fantasy, neither pretrial nor in court.

I believe that @mikes426 should seek the legal counsel of an attorney to bring this unfortunate situation to a beneficial conclusion for his daughter. I find it highly suspicious why you are putting so much effort into discouraging him.

Other than hiring an attorney to represent your daughter Mr. @mikes426, I would write a complaint to BBB Canada. I would question, in said complaint, amongst other things, the integrity of the dealership that sold the warranty, I would describe in detail the promises they made regarding the warranty at the time of purchase, and I would question the recordkeeping practices of said dealership when it comes to keeping track of maintenance. Please, Mr. @mikes426, don't be discouraged. You may have some fighting to do, but not all hope is lost as @Jimmy9190 here wants you to believe. I had good luck with the BBB in the past when it came to certain warranty companies that didn't want to honor the promises they made. These crooks have so many skeletons in their closet that they don't want anyone to take a closer look at their scam operation.

I don't know what the equivalent organization to the Federal Trade Commission is in Canada, but if there is such a thing, make sure to contact them. Good luck!

I am not trying to discourage OP. Not at all. In fact, I really do hope and pray it goes his way and the dealership does the right thing by standing behind the car they sold to OP's daughter. However, I know dealerships, I know how they work, how they think and unfortunately I have seen plenty of other customers in these exact same shoes as OP's daughter. It is not a good situation. I am only telling OP the facts of what I have seen firsthand when working with extended warranties and trying to offer some tips on how to work with the dealer to handle this problem. Contractually it does not matter who said what or who promised what when she bought the car. This will all depend on how that blessed warranty is written and whether the dealer can still get paid on the claim if they try to run the repair through the warranty.

I hope the dealer does the right thing and no lawyer is needed. Most dealers do not care about doing the right thing. They only care about money. That is probably the number one fact of the car business. Dealerships have a lot of very high expenses and they normally do not do anything unless there is profit in it. What I would really like to see is for Ford Corporate to step in and take care of the repair for OP's daughter. That way there would be no hard feelings between OP, his daughter and the dealer. Ford is obviously aware of the problem. The car has pretty high kilometers on it though and a third party extended warranty may make it hard for Ford to do anything. I wish OP and his daughter the very best of luck with this problem.

One other thing OP might need to look out for is to check the terms of that warranty very carefully if OP decides to have the repair done at a different Ford dealer, or an indy garage. Some third party extended warranties have what is called a tie-back. That is where if you have a breakdown within a certain distance of the original selling dealer, the car must be repaired at that same selling dealer in order for the warranty to pay the claim. Here in the States the usual tie back was anywhere within a 40 mile radius of the selling dealer, and that tie-back also applied to any sister stores of the selling dealer. So if you were over 40 miles from the place you bought the car and had a breakdown, if there was a same network sister dealer within 40 miles of the location of the breakdown you would have to get the car towed to that sister dealer. If you have a tie-back involved and the car is already at the selling dealer, the extended warranty will not pay for repairs anywhere else. That tie-back rule is one of the absolute worst aspects of an extended warranty and I had to deal with it every single day at my old job. The tie-back is highly egregious and very unfair to the customer to say the very least but it is still right there in some warranty contracts just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back