Coleman 228f gas lantern woes

So I originally bought a new duel fuel Coleman lantern and was really enjoying it. Until I got lax and left it out on my deck and it went missing. Along with my dewalt leaf blower (with a 5 amph battery) and some garden tools. I learned something about security. I’m in the middle of building a new garage and I’m trying to think of how to fortify it.

anyway, I bought a much older Coleman off of Craigslist. The problem is it lights, but dies after 20 seconds or so. It has a 3 piece gas cap and it didn’t look like it even had an oring, so I found one at harbor freight. Same problem. It seems like the tank is holding pressure.

Where from here? Take apart the generator? It hisses but doesn’t seem to gurgle after it dies. If I let it sit for a few minutes it will light but die again.

This might help, the original owner's manual: https://oldtowncoleman.com/manuals/220F.pdf

You should be able to tell if it's holding pressure, after it dies unscrew the cap and listen for a hiss. Likely the generator, you can take it apart and try to clean it but a new one is easier.

I fool around with old Coleman stoves and once a generator gets clogged up and corroded it's about impossible to clean and make function perfectly. Memories of dad fussing with his stove and lantern on family camping trips because he wouldn't buy new generators.

Back