Cobra PhoneLynx BT215 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings..

A long time ago I cut my POTS line and went with Vonage and loved it. Then Vonage started with the fees, taxes and such which increased my bill from $240 a year unlimited to $459 a year for the same service.

So we decided to cancel Vonage (which BTW was excellent service) and go with our prepaid Cell Phone service.

One thing I did not like was you had to have the phone with you close so you did not miss a call. While we don't get a ton of calls when it rings we like to catch it.

Been looking for something that would allow us to get our cell phone to hopefully use all of our old phones within the house and it would be real nice if we could get the whole house via the built in wiring.

Enter the Cobra PhoneLynx ($31.63 at Amazon) which promotes that it will allow my cell phone to make/receive from any phone. Got it and the installation was simple. Just plug in the power cube into the unit and another phone cable from the unit into your home phone. (Normally I have it tucked under the cabinet out of the way but want you guys to see the unit and connections. Yes it looks like something splashed on it
grin.gif
)

img0666ki.jpg

img0665ks.jpg

I went ahead and plugged it into the house jack. (Make sure your POTS line is disconnected from Ma-Bell)

In the family room we have a wireless phone base station with 2 remotes, one wired phone in the garage, a wired phone in my computer room/office and wired phone in the master bedroom. All phones work great with this unit. You can set it up to bluetooth 2 devices at the same time (simple, normal pairing procedures) with each unit ringing a different ring (main phone is one ring and 2nd with 2 rings) If you answer it quickly sometimes it does ring on the cell phone even though you answered.

You do get a dial tone when you pick up your home phones to dial. Dialing is simple with you dialing the full 10 digits then about 5 seconds for the cell to dial out. 911 is the same with you having to tell them where you are at (which is the second question they ask)

Call quality is excellent. Bluetooth range is around 25-30 feet before you can hear the quality drop.

Overall I'd buy one again. This is the standard one NOT the Android one even though all of our phones are Android based.

Cell phones used with this unit;

Nexus Galaxy (Samsung)
Nexus 4 (LG)
Pantech Burst
Samsung Proclaim
iPhone 4s (family member who was visiting)

Take care, Bill

Awesome, thanks for the review! I bought the xlink recently, for when we port our home line from a $20+ thing with no LD or anything included but a TON of fees, into one of our cell lines...

So just to make sure I read this right - you plugged this into the home phone network and it made a phone elsewhere in the home work as expected?

Do you HAVE to dial 10 digits or is that forced in your location? Pretty sure they didnt force that on us here, though my parents in one of the older area codes have had to do that for years... Our cells may just append it anyway, not sure...

Thanks again for the review!

Hi,

I just plugged it into the house wiring (as in the second photo) and the other phones are plugged in the same jacks they always have been. Since Ma-Bell was disconnected a LONG time ago nothing to worry about damaging the unit.

Here we have to dial the full 10 digit numbers no matter what area code you are calling. Been that way with anything (cell, POTS & Vonage/VOIP) since we got our newest area code a few years ago.

Bill

I'm a little behind the cell phone / home phone tech so my question is:
You drop the home phone plan and using this device you will be able to use your home phone number with cell phone ? And using your cell phone minutes during normal daytime hours ?

My home phone is my Cell phone. I don't have a "land line/home phone" so what is happening if someone wants to call me they get my cell phone which uses this device to allow my corded and wireless phones which are wired to my home to be used.

I have a unlimited phone minutes so no worries no matter the time.

Only have one personal phone number (for me). The wife has her own and the kids so on.

Most likely soon to all be on T-Mobile for $100 per month total.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back