Clutch chatter/shudder when engine is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Motor mounts and transaxle mounts make a huge difference.
I'll bet yours are tired.
But since yours is temperature related, it probably is in the pressure plate, disc, or flywheel.
Which one? Who cares? The tranny has to come out.

If you can live with it, live with it.

+1 There are several reasons for clutch chatter, years ago I remember reading in an OM that it was considered normal in some instances due to gearing for better mpgs. Who knows?

As clutches age they can become glazed and chatter. I had a similar issue with a work van. I held one foot on the brake and released the clutch at idle to stall the engine. I did it twice IIRC and the problem stopped. I guess I broke the glaze. You won't hurt anything trying it. As long as it is not slipping or grinding going into gear and all the mounts are good you might have to live with it. JMO

It can't be and highly doubt it's the engine because it is in perfect condition.

I put it in the garage last night where it was dry and a little warmer and the chattering stopped. It's really cold right now (50 degrees) and I will see what happens.

UDPATE: I drove it last night and it was dry and 40 degrees. The car ran perfectly. I've noticed that it now only happens when the day is rainy/damp/cold. Looking back at the other days, it was cold and rainy. I know it's not from the tires but something mechanical.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Try what I suggested above the clutch could be glazed.

I will try this afternoon. It still boggles my mind that it only happens on damp/cold days.

IIRC I had a 1970 Chevy G10 work van that did exactly the same thing. Just be 100% certain your rear main seal is not starting to seep oil.

The chatter problems used to occur when the engine was cold and it was below 60 deg.
After a few days, it is now it is wetness/humidity related.

Which one is your story, and are you sticking to it?

If this is true and this really is a dampness related issue,then it is classified as an X-File.We all know they exsist
1)A problem won't happen when it's AT the repair shop.
2)When you get a flat,it won't be on level ground.
3)If it is on level ground,SOMETHING ELSE,like a mysterious force will prevent you from actually just changing the tire so you can be on your way,...to your court case that started 15 min.,ago.
4)You can swear you turned off the headlights,before going in for the night, only to awaken to a dead battery.You DID turn them off, something else turned them back on!
5)The radio WILL BE 50 decibels louder when you start the car,even after a Quick pitstop.
6)When it time for an emergency repair ,you will not be able to do it financially or time wise,even though you knew this ahead of time.
7)Keys,...you know where you put them,AGAIN something else moved them
I could go on and on...With better ones if I had more time.

Last edited:
I don't know what to think now. It's been cold and it hasn't been doing it. The last time the shuddering occurred was when it was damp and cold outside. The symptoms stopped all of a sudden..... I will continue to investigate...

Originally Posted By: Popinski
When the engine is cold on my Hyundai Elantra and outside temps are below 60 degrees, I get this clutch chatter on 1st gear. When the engine warms up and/or outside temp is above 60 degrees, the clutch runs nice and strong.

It can't be the clutch because it only has 60,000 miles on it and I drive very smooth and slow.

Any ideas? Clutch fluid maybe?

I've had 2 clutches that were hopeless on cold, damp mornings.

Would start the car in neutral, step on the clutch, and it would grind badly going into 1st or reverse (and not engage either).

Had to put it in gear, and start with foot on clutch to "crack" the plates free, and it was really snatchy until it was either dry, or any rust had come off.

A bit like my E30's handbrake is grabby on cold mornings...brake disks are red those days too.

If it only does it when it's cold and damp or there's been an ambient temperature change such that moisture could form, then this explanation nails it:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/clutch-chatter-fluid-problem-61903/#post686518

"...It's the organometallic clutch shedding hydroscoped moisture unevenly do to some light glazing of the surface..."

My Forester does this chatter/judder thing when heading off from a cold start if the weather has been chilly and humidity relatively high. Clears up within a few stop/start clutch usages which tells me the above explanation is it, i.e. the moisture evaps off once the plates warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back