Cleaning synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2009 BMW X3 with 87,000 miles. It has had factory-scheduled dealer oil changes of around 18,000 miles. I would like to do some shorter OCIs with a synthetic that especially cleans. Back when I started with synthetic in a 1.8T, Mobil1 0W40 was supposed to be a good cleaner, but that was 15 years ago. TIA for your suggestions!

Thanks for the response. I am sorry I posted in the wrong forum.

Any 0W/40 oil that meets your OEM specs will clean just fine. Newer oil classifications have lost nothing in the cleaning department. Some would argue about antiwear properties, but those are also excellent, with any engine with modern cam/valve designs.

Note that the 18K mile oil changes are not "factory scheduled", but rather based on an internal calculation. That internal calculation does end up being very close to 3K miles per LED for the typical driver, but the calculation supposedly also includes operating hours and start-ups.

The dealer will allow a warranty-charged oil service when the count-down hits the amber LED, resulting in a 15K oil change.

These long change intervals are only reasonable when you use one of the proper BMW-LL rated oils, which have a strong additive pack. Conversely, if you are planning short change intervals you don't need the BMW-LL qualified additive package.

Originally Posted By: djb
The dealer will allow a warranty-charged oil service when the count-down hits the amber LED, resulting in a 15K oil change.

They will also allow it if a year has passed from the last oil change.

Not sure if it means that much to you, but for my wife's BMW Z3, I look for an oil that meets the BMW LL-01 spec. There are several that are readily available.

So the previous owner only changed the oil every 18K? I thought BMW wanted the oil changed every 15K.

Any rate, I would run either Mobil 1 0W-40(meets the BMW LL-01) or Amsoil 0W-40 European Car Formula.

Change the oil every 7500 a couple of times and that should clean out any crud.

For short oil changes, any synth oil should clean. Alternate among the brands:

Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, and Castrol have 0w40's

I'd also consider Castrol, Pennzoil, Delo, T6, TDT in "5w40" for that clean up.

M1-HM and RoyalPurple HPS have a 10w40.

Regardless of what oil you use, inspect the cartridge filter regularly. If it cruds/sludges up, you can change the filter, top off the oil, and repeat as needed. Wix(napa), Purolator, Fram(CH & XG)... make cartridges.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleLookupPage.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2009+BMW+X3+E

Originally Posted By: ganseg
I just bought a 2009 BMW X3 with 87,000 miles. It has had factory-scheduled dealer oil changes of around 18,000 miles. I would like to do some shorter OCIs with a synthetic that especially cleans. Back when I started with synthetic in a 1.8T, Mobil1 0W40 was supposed to be a good cleaner, but that was 15 years ago. TIA for your suggestions!

To be honest, ganseg – Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic motor oil is not only BMW LL-01 approved, but it is also recommended and preferred by BMW. Hope this info helps! – The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back