cleaning oil out of cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see too many reasons to switch back to dex unless I'm missing something? I would just have another situation of having green residue mixing with the dex probably causing more mixing issues. Just like what happened before except vice versa.

This is going to sound a little odd at first, but I'd use a diswashing detergent gel packet or tablet. DW detergents cut grease as well as things like Simple Green, but they also have anti-foaming agents to keep them from frothing up. Fill the cooling system with water, and a gel pack, start/run up to operating temp (maybe drive for a half hour) then immediately drain, pulling the block drain plugs if you can get at them. Then repeat the cycle a time or two with fresh water, then fill with your choice of coolant.

Should I add detergent on the first drain of the rad or get as much coolant out from drain and fills before I add the detergent? Also do you add the detergent in the rad directly or through the overflow tank?

The other thread down there about cascade has me torn between phosphate free stuff, simply green, or getting some of the professional cascade with phosphates.

Are gel packs phosphate free?

I'd add any detergent to the radiator itself- you're not going to leave it in there long enough for the conentration to equalize between the overflow and main tanks.

I'd flush, then detergent, then flush again.

Most detergents have phosphates. Even "low phosphate" household detergents will have more than low phosphate coolant, but it won't do any harm for a short flushing session.

You could always use a commercial radiator flush chemical, but those are often geared more toward dissolving scale and therefore are acidic. No need to hit the engine and heater core metals with acids if what you're really after is oil and not scale.

JMO.

I can't seem to find a consensus on how much detergent to use. Sounds like your recommending one gel pack but others are recommending like 1/4 s box of powder. I don't want to add too much and wish I could get a weight in oz because box size varies greatly and 1/4 of a large box might be too much.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I can't seem to find a consensus on how much detergent to use. Sounds like your recommending one gel pack but others are recommending like 1/4 s box of powder. I don't want to add too much and wish I could get a weight in oz because box size varies greatly and 1/4 of a large box might be too much.

There's no benefit to totally saturating with detergent. Use it at about the ratio its supposed to be used in whatever application it was intended for. Dishwashers hold a couple of gallons, your cooling system holds maybe 3-4 gallons? Use either 1 or 2 gel-packs. I'd err on the side of less rather than more. All you're trying to do is break up and emulsify the oil so it'll drain with the water.

I think i am surely going to replace the coolant reservoir since i can't stand not being able to see the coolant level with it being discolored and after i do that i will try to get some of the other junk out.

I'm doing a flush but at the least I'll use some prestone flush product and get as much of the old coolant out as possible . I want to make sure that the ratio is correct also, which is always easiest for me if I get it down to just distilled water so I can do the math.

Coolant has been in service since may 2010 with lots of highway miles since then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back