cleaning/degreasing under the hood of your vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car wash soap and low pressure water. If it never gets greasy you won't need degreaser.

I use a hot garden hose. I plumbed a mixer so I can wash the dogs in warm, but you can hook up a hose to the hot water heater drain. Works best.

I also have a 2008 Grand Prix, My fourth.
I buy the cheap engine degreaser from Wal-mart.
Get to the closest car wash so engine isn't so hot.
Spray the areas that need cleaning (no real grease on any of them), set the wand on rinse, and clear any soap from wand, then rinse down the same areas as above, low pressure and keep a distance, we're just rinsing here. I stay away from the electrical connections, coils and the alternator.
I do this once a year in the spring after the snow is gone for good. Car(s) have always started right up and I drive them a few miles to dry the underhood out.

Before my current car, I used to spray down the entire engine with Simple Green and then wash off with the high pressure nozzle at the car wash (not getting too close or targeting anything electrical). Some folks find it prudent to cover their alternators with a bag, but it's never caused me a problem.

My current car's engine can't be washed. The valve cover has a 1" deep trench where the coilpacks sit and there is no drain..so once water gets in, it doesn't leave. Fair warning: Mazdaspeed 6 and Mazdaspeed 3 engines are not to be washed!

I spray the engine down wit Simple Green. Everywhere. I think use a hose and wet down the entire engine, gentely. I do get some of the electrical parts wet (probably not a good thing but it's never hurt....yet). I try not to drench the electrical parts, but they will get wet. Engines are designed to get somewhat wet.

I wouldn't put any water in there as corrosion will soon be visited upon you. Just look at all the elecrical whatnots under there. I'm sure DETAILERS use a spray-on something or other?? I know WD-40 sprayed on a rag seems to work well, even for light grease.

Do what I do, use the MIST feature on your garden hose spray.

I mist the entire engine, then spray on degreaser, let it sit for about 10 min and then use a soft bristle brush to scrub down where I can reach. I then use the MIST sprayer to rinse off all the suds. That's it and very little water puddles on my car.

nobody's mentioned keeping water away from the brake/clutch reservoir...

Water is ok on most underhood components - let's face it, we drive through rain and puddles, but I'd be cautious about cleaners stripping the dielectric grease out of connectors/components. Therefore, target the dirty areas specifically when using chems.

Don't blast the brake/clutch reservoirs with water.

I've never had alt probelms after years of gentle spraying, but I wouldn't hammer them w/ water either (bearings are really the only risks--- brushes are carbon on copper, regulators/diodes are solid state and sealed, etc.).

M

Low pressure water should be fine. The weatherpack electrical connectors are designed to keep water out but pressure will force water past the seals. I like to use soap and water because some of the degreasers seem to dry out or swell seals.

Same here. I have to cover my airfilter with a plastic bag. When I get done, I go drive the engine dry. If you wash the car right after, you can do both at once.

WHATEVER you do, DON'T use Greased Lightning! It works great but will discolor the paint. Simple Green (and now Simple Green Max) has always worked very well for me every few months.

I'd use Meguiars APC (all purpose cleaner) and a brush to loosen the junk, then hose it off, apply a dressing if you like (make sure its suitable for engine temps). Then you can either wipe dry and / or take it for a nice drive to dry it off.

Great results with purple Power for about $5 a gallon at wallys then a gentle hose down.I do it once a year after in the spring to get the winter crud off.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Car wash soap and low pressure water. If it never gets greasy you won't need degreaser.

Exactly. Rinse any of the gooey stuff off from the factory and all it will take from then on is the remainder of your car wash pail and a garden hosing. What's under the hood is made to get wet. You just don't want to blast water at anything.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back