Cleaning cast aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to clean cast aluminum parts such as water pumps and alternators? I going to detail my friend's Dodge CTD. She doesn't know it yet..
grin.gif
. The alternator and water pump are heavily oxidized. How can I make the finishes look new?

You want to do something like this?

Thermostat_housing.jpg

thermostat_housing_polished.jpg

or this

manifolds_polished_painted.jpg

or this

alternator.jpg

alternator_finished.jpg

or this

Rejilla_antes.jpg

Both_rear_grills_polished.jpg

or this

old_manifolds.jpg

Manifolds_polished_and_painted.jpg

It is not hard, and looks nice. Then either polyurethane spray or car wax on top.

Or real bad stuff (like the grills) I use sandpaper first, then work my way to finer paper and then the buffing wheel. On some things you can go straight to the buffing wheel, with the courser compound sticks (or Brasso), and work your way to a finer one. In the end I usually use Meguairs by hand for the last detail. I have the main buffing wheel mounted on the bench (a 1971 Craftsman), plus a series of wheels on the drill.

There is more detail (and downloadable instructions) here: http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Polishing.html

There are different formulations of Oven Cleaner. Some are very caustic and will leave a very dull and etched finish. They are good to take of anodizing. A mild one might help.

Some things are too intricate to polish, so the trick is to bead blast them. On my injector body I polished the top half, but only bead blasted the lower half.
injector_body_before.jpg

blasting_injector_base.jpg

injector_body_finished.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
spray on oven cleaner.

Surely a joke.

Aluminum oxide is about the most chemically stable element there is. Physical removal seems to be a failsafe option... lol.

It looks like the Thermostat housing in your top photo. It is on a 08' Dodge 6.7 CTD that has been in Texas since October 07'.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
spray on oven cleaner.

Surely a joke.

Aluminum oxide is about the most chemically stable element there is. Physical removal seems to be a failsafe option... lol.

Not at all. A can of Easy Off does wonders for old, crusty aluminum bits.

http://www2.uni-siegen.de/~pci/versuche/english/v44-10.html

The resultant finish isn't pretty, but with the hard oxide removed, the bare aluminum is much easier to clean and polish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
spray on oven cleaner.

Surely a joke.

Not at all. A can of Easy Off does wonders for old, crusty aluminum bits.

http://www2.uni-siegen.de/~pci/versuche/english/v44-10.html

The resultant finish isn't pretty, but with the hard oxide removed, the bare aluminum is much easier to clean and polish.

I guess I thought it was a joke, since there was no mention of the dangers of NaOH and Al being combined.

I apologize in advance for the following constructive criticism.

I see a BIG problem using oven cleaner to clean the Alternator in that you better be sure that you do not allow ANY cleaner to come in contact with the copper winding, the bearings, the electronics, and the brushes. Also when you polish any metal that transfers heat, on the microscopic scale you drastically decrease the surface area that contacts the air molecules that it dumps heat to. Though with the fan just behind the pulley there probably would not be any cooling problem from polishing the housing, it may cause the alternator to run a few degrees hotter, but probably not enough of an increase in temperature to make any difference.

If you really want to help out the vehicles owner, replace the bearings and brushes on the alternator while you have it off the vehicle.

Last edited:
Those picutres are fantastic. You do some really nice work. Your attention to details is incredible. Keep it up.

I use to work in a fresh fruit processing plant and their aluminum platens for heat sealing plastic containers would get full of carbon burnt onto the aluminum.

Some hot water and caustic soda is what we used. It will leave a black film but that will come off with just some wiping as long as you don't let is dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back