Classic Cars - How Often Do You Drive It

Sometimes in my dreams I drive this for eight hours a night

corvette.jpg

How do you balance not putting miles on it and/or exposing it to other idiot drivers with keeping the engine and other components exercised? Engines need to be used or they deteriorate, right, or is that just an old wives tale?

The people I know who own the classic cars seldom drive them except to car shows and special events. I am not sure what year the original poster feels is a time frame for classic cars. Maybe from 1970 or older? It seems as though the street rodder cars are driven more than the original unmolested cars. Resto mod cars are driven more for sure.

I tend to go in waves, and mostly in the spring and fall. I'm spoiled and summer is hot without AC!

We had a high in the mid-80s today, though, so out came the MG to go to lunch and then for a meeting this afternoon(the latter on a really pleasant drive along the Illinois river).

The weather is looking decent through next week, so I'm hoping to drive it some more. I did fill it up today. That was 3/4 of a tank, and my notes are that this is the 4th fill-up this calendar year, so apparently I've driven it some.

About 3 to 600 miles per year on non move years (military). It's our only pickup truck so when we need truck duties performed it's our go to.

The 5x10 utility trailer performs most hauling duties better though, and can be towed by the rest of the fleet. So truck usage can be minimal in the end.

Attachments

• received_1446930289096525.jpeg
    received_1446930289096525.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 20
I haven't driven my 70 Monte Carlo in over two years. It's not at where I live so it's not convenient to drive.

Even on the years I take it to a lot of events, shows and cruise nights I don't top 1000 miles. I suppose that is not unusual when there are events nearly every weekend and cruise nights nearly every weeknight but almost all of them are within a half-hour of home. Factor in however-many of those are cancelled (or I just don't go) due to weather and the total is even less.

Not sure the WS6 really counts but it is 22 years old. Last year I put about 300 miles on it. This year my son is driving and he knows how to drive it, so we have put about 2500 miles on it. I have a tracker in it so I can see what he is doing with it when I am not in there.

I filled up my 1975 VW Westfalia the other day and I had only gone about 140 miles in 2 years. I rebuilt the motor and all the mechanical stuff that was in need of maintenance. It Drove Great No issues at all. Just needed to get it out and work the brakes and steering. I can't get smile off my face when I drive it. Rear windows still have the stickers from that era like the Dead Head sticker. Wife wanted to take the decals off, but I stopped her.

I sold my '66 Mustang a few years ago (regretfully) but it was my daily driver. I put over 20,000 miles on it one year. If I buy a car, it's to drive it. I'm the last person you'd want to gift a '68 GT500, because I'd put 100,000 miles on that thing in just the first couple years, hitting every dragstrip and road course across America.

I generally drive mine once or twice a week in summer drive season. It has working factory A/C, but I rarely use it for more than a few minutes at a time. Windows down and vent windows open is my preferred mode.
I haven't been to a show or cruise night in years. My son is visiting, and we had a nice drive. He loves holding the accelerator to the floor and making the tires screech when the automatic shifts into second gear.

I'm surprised at the number of folks not putting miles on their cars. I'm not judging, but I am curious why?

Back