Claims that Honda use a "Special Break-in Oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
My suggestion was for those people who want to change the oil to get rid of the initial contaminants while maintaining Honda's focus of having MoS2 in the oil the help break-in for 5000 miles.

Are you certain that moly is the only difference between factory fill and aftermarket fills? I can tell you I am not.

I remember having a talk once, long ago, with my trusted mechanic about changing factory-fill early for exactly that reason (this was when my Integra was new). He said he had no idea what was in the factory-fill, but he did say that changing the oil early was pointless. He said factory-new engines are surgically-clean inside; and, even if there did happen to be anything in there, it would get trapped by the oil filter the first time the engine was started up.

To early changers: If your oil filter can't capture 'break-in' metals that are of sufficient size to cause damage to the engine, why have a filter on at all? You're arguing that they are basically worthless and don't do their job.

This early change logic makes no sense to me.

surfstar, your reasoning overlaps into the discussion with the efficacy of magnetic drain plugs.

Looking at your post on magnetic drain plugs, I see your views are consistent.

Either people arent waiting or it doesnt work because Ive never dealt with a Honda that did NOT consume oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
My 2012 Toyota Sienna V6 comes from the factory with a 10,000 mile OCI (included in purchase price) without so much as an OLM. This plus the Honda experience has taught me that the "early change" mentality that we've grown up with is no longer applicable to modern engines.

I own a 2011 Sienna and very much distrust their 10k OCI. i am taking advantage of their free changes but it gets dumped after 5k. I have no faith that their filter will run that long plain and simple. history has proven toyota does not have a clue when it comes to OCI.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Either people arent waiting or it doesnt work because Ive never dealt with a Honda that did NOT consume oil.

Funny.
I've never owned a Honda that consumed more than a quart in 4K.
We've now had seven of them.
Our 207K '97 Accord sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back