Christmas Gifts for the wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm no longer superstitious and I've never been religious life's much easier 'cause I don't do any of this stuff.

Mindless perpetuation of these "holidays", carrying on year after year doing same thing without asking why?...I personally think its crazy and its great to be free of it all.

You could consider giving your wife the gift of your time. Every year around the holidays (and at other times of the year as well) we spend a lot of time doing volunteer work together. Sometimes it's taking our therapy dogs out to visit people, over Thanksgiving we spent time delivering meals to shut-ins, last year at Christmas we spent Christmas day serving meals at a mission in Des Moines.

We're not supportive of the retail aspect of the holidays, although at times we'll give each other a small material gift. But by doing volunteer work together we spend time together doing something positive, and it's the very best gift we can give to each other.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
But by doing volunteer work together we spend time together doing something positive, and it's the very best gift we can give to each other.

I have nothing to add here; but I want to make sure that anyone reading this thread reads that twice.

Good reading all; thanks.

Cut the four sides last night, then realized I forgot all about the bottom. Oops. I'll do the same thing I'll do for the top: some quarter-inch stock to hold the bottom. I think I'm giving up on the hinges, I can't figure out how I want to make a wooden hinge and I don't feel like (for some obscure reason) using brass hinges.

My fiancee always wants jewelry for pretty much every occasion. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something shiny. I told her she's gonna start to look like Mr. T with all that jewelry. She said, "I don't wear it all at once!"
lol.gif

I got my wife a bottle of her favorite perfume, a couple of new books by one of her favorite authors and a few dvd's she asked for. I may get her a necklace or something tomorrow. I do not care much for the gotta buy gifts aspect of Christmas but she loves Christmas and her birthday is on Christmas Eve. I am just happy to be with her and glad we are healthy and have a nice house with food on the table. A lot of folks don't have anything at all...

Man supton....I'm totally in your boat and your first mate!! Same situation...we both work, good jobs...we want something, we just go get it. Over the years of that logic, really don't buy one another anything....HOWEVER....it has come up and BIT ME IN THE ARSCHE this past year. During a "heated" discussion...it was known to me that I never get her a Xmas gift.....SERIOUSLY????? OK, started listening and consulting my ten year old. She has mentioned one of those new mixers. She does cook and all, but time constraints...(see my "how much money do you spend eating out" thread) doesn't cook as much as she wants. Sooooo, after reviewing, found a Hamilton Beach that got good reviews from Amazon. Got it...so now I await and see her reaction next week. I'm hoping she gets me nothing......boy will I use that ammo in the future!!!!

My wife and I have a pretty decent and transparent relationship; if something is on her mind she will say it. That said, I do worry about the hormonal changes that will eventually come, and I fear that perhaps she'll toss something like that back at me too. Do I greatly fear it? No. But like everything else in life, I hedge my bets.

Originally Posted By: supton
As the years go by I've found it harder and harder to buy gifts for the wife. When we need stuff, we buy it. Stuff we'd like to have, that too tends to get bought. My wife does keep a list online for gift ideas, but I'm never sure if anyone else in the family bought the stuff, and I'm not keen on returning things. And I'm not keen on making guesses, and we both can be somewhat cheap.

This year I was thinking of a simple Amazon gift card, but really, since we share the same checking account that seems kinda cheesy. Finally dawned on me what I'm thinking of doing: I'll try to print off a nice "gift card" saying she can go and spend x dollars on music/movies/whatever at the store of her choice; and see if I can make a nice wooden box for it.

Other people in the same boat, and doing likewise?

My wife does not observe Christmas, I want nothing. (This year was the ultimatum: any gifts addressed to me will be burned unopened.)

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Besides COAL!!!

Same boat here but I find an upcoming vacation to someplace warm with sand does well.

I just dropped about $1000 on heating oil and good wood is almost $300/cord. Don't know about you, but I would LOVE some coal right about now!

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Since I'm no longer superstitious and I've never been religious life's much easier 'cause I don't do any of this stuff.

Mindless perpetuation of these "holidays", carrying on year after year doing same thing without asking why?...I personally think its crazy and its great to be free of it all.

I bet you still accept the bonus and don't go to work on the 25th of December! Funny how we justify certain parts of our "mindless perpetuation". Merry Christmas

My girlfriend is very hard to shop for too. She into so many different things it makes it quite difficult.

She is really into drawing so last year I bought her some very nice art/ drafting pencils, a few chunks of charcoal, and a few different sizes of blending tools. I made her a box to keep it all and since herself along with her family is into Batman, I stenciled out the newest Batman symbol out on the lid and painted it black before I stained it. She seemed to really appreciate it.

I got the idea by myself one day and decided not to tell her mom about anything. She is sure good at sinking ships. Well last year her sister and brother in law got me a nice Kershaw knife so I was playing with that while my girlfriend opened the first gift her mom got her: it was friggan pencils! Right as I saw that the blade swung open and gouged my hand quite nicely. Hopefully this year is different. lol

If she would wear it I would sure like to get my gf...um...nice intimate apparel. Maybe if I stuffed some expensive with it in the box...

Originally Posted By: joaks
If she would wear it I would sure like to get my gf...um...nice intimate apparel. Maybe if I stuffed some expensive with it in the box...

I'm doing a diamond necklace too. Gonna win at this one.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: joaks

I'm doing a diamond necklace too. Gonna win at this one.
banana2.gif

What type of place did you get the necklace? I haven't bought jewerly in years. I am seriously considering this though!

I picked up the last presents for Mrs. Jimmy today. I got her a necklace and earring set and a dragonfly brooch pin. They did not cost a whole lot and I am pretty sure both are things that she will like and enjoy very much. I am done with shopping now, just have to find time when she's not home to wrap her presents and put them all under our tree.

I like to buy my wife things that she can use. She wants to go hunting with me next
year so I bought her a rifle for Christmas. Browning A-Bolt III .308. I also put a
Burris 3x9x40 scope on it for her. She's a happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back