Chevy Cruze (Diesel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Ahhh, the elusive new diesel. They've been vaporware for so long from so many different makes, I will once again believe this is real when private citizens are able to purchase, title, plate, insure & drive them legally from most any Chevrolet dealership.

Vaporware, that is good man!
Ford f150 diesel ehh?
Caravan diesel ehh?

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. I'd expect that like other diesels the mpg rating iis very conservative. Should be good competition for the jetta and golf tdi.

At least it will be fairly well equipped for that (kinda high) price. 17" wheels, leather, naviagtion, Aero package, Bluetooth streaming audio, etc.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the 4.5 liter, diesel powered, 1/2 ton pickup that GM promised years back.

And they said that the same engine would fit in cars such as the Impala as well...

42 MPG highway isnt near enough better than the gas powered version to justify the extra cost. Not just in purchasing the car, but diesel is often .50 a gallon more than unleaded is here.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Isn't that actually WORSE than what the Cruze Eco manages on the highway?!
Originally Posted By: morepwr
42 MPG highway isnt near enough better than the gas powered version to justify the extra cost. Not just in purchasing the car, but diesel is often .50 a gallon more than unleaded is here.

You are both forgetting something. the Jetta TDI is rated for 42mpg highway as well. Diesel EPA estimates are usually far below what they are actually capable of.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Isn't that actually WORSE than what the Cruze Eco manages on the highway?!

Nope, exact same as my Eco's 42 mpg highway. Which I easily beat.

This will appeal to the folks who want a torquey Cruze without modding it. A reflash on a gasser 1.4T Cruze will net approximately 165 hp/190 ft/lbs (at 3000 RPM) without upgrading any mechanical bits (premium fuel only). Mine has a reflash and can move very smartly when it wants to. Even though the Eco-D is heavier, it is torquier earlier, so it should move rapidly when needed.

For the folks moaning about how they'd get a Eco-trimmed Cruze if only it were automatic with leather seats and still got manual-transmission Eco fuel economy, your car is here.

Now Chevy has two 40+ mpg Cruzes available. Some folks will complain the Eco-D's not a no-frills manual. Waah, go buy the gasser manual transmission Eco if you want a lower-priced 42 mpg Cruze that will still beat EPA fuel economy. Can't please everybody all the time...

Originally Posted By: sciphi

For the folks moaning about how they'd get a Eco-trimmed Cruze if only it were automatic with leather seats and still got manual-transmission Eco fuel economy, your car is here.

No all that stuff is garbage and exactly what I DONT want. Give me a MT diesel with manual climate control, and no stupid fancy screens that are going to fail and render the car worthless/useless long before the powertrain wears out. I dont want a cruse eco gasser for that simple setup, I want a diesel. Give me good brakes, good handling, but that's about it.

Judging by my brother's 11 Golf TDI, this cruze should be capable of higher than advertised, fairly easily.

I dont mind paying a premium, but I dont want all that "premium" garbage to make me feel fancy in an econobox, all kinds of stuff that is nothing more than a liability.

It is not going to sell well unfortunately.

The entry price is way to high to get "economy". $26k+ for compact car???

Yeah I don't think diesels make economical sense with diesel prices, higher initial cost for diesel engines with complex emission controls. If you buy a diesel it's really because you want a diesel and no real economic pay off.

I don't want a diesel or really a manual either and apparently neither do most other buys. But I'd like to see more 2-doors, with less options and no leather. But most buyers apparently don't want that, so you're stuck with what most want.

I think you should be able to get a car exactly like you want, 2-door, hatchback, diesel, manual, rollup windows or whatever like it use to be.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: sciphi

No all that stuff is garbage and exactly what I DONT want. Give me a MT diesel with manual climate control, and no stupid fancy screens that are going to fail and render the car worthless/useless long before the powertrain wears out. I dont want a cruse eco gasser for that simple setup, I want a diesel. Give me good brakes, good handling, but that's about it.

Judging by my brother's 11 Golf TDI, this cruze should be capable of higher than advertised, fairly easily.

I dont mind paying a premium, but I dont want all that "premium" garbage to make me feel fancy in an econobox, all kinds of stuff that is nothing more than a liability.

This is the crux of the matter. Very, very, very few people want an "econobox". That is to say, engine, transmission, and pretty much nothing else. BITOG by far has more people who want that than in the real market. If there was more of a market for it, they would make more of them.

A cruze isn't SUPPOSED to be an econobox. Neither is a Focus, an Elantra, Accent,Sonic, nor the Fit, Yaris, Civic, or even the corolla. Though with varying degrees of success. The Corolla in particular, comes closest to the definition of "econobox" in the sense that they lack content, aren't particularly engaging to drive, has substandard interior quality, and get good gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Yeah I don't think diesels make economical sense with diesel prices, higher initial cost for diesel engines with complex emission controls. If you buy a diesel it's really because you want a diesel and no real economic pay off.

I don't want a diesel or really a manual either and apparently neither do most other buys. But I'd like to see more 2-doors, with less options and no leather. But most buyers apparently don't want that, so you're stuck with what most want.

I think you should be able to get a car exactly like you want, 2-door, hatchback, diesel, manual, rollup windows or whatever like it use to be.

Generally you can custom order cars. But if they don't have tooling, or parts for it they can't do it. There wouldn't be enough orders for various models to have the capability to build all of them. Wouldn't make sense.

The problem is you will always have people, like some on BITOG, who want Heat only, no A/C, AM/FM Radio, Roll up/down windows, no cruise control, no ABS, manual drum brakes, manual steering, 4 cylinder overhead valve engine with carbeurator and points and condensor ignition.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I will believe it when I see the diesel for sale.

GM announced the Cruze will offer the Diesel for the 2014 model year...just a few months away.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
It is not going to sell well unfortunately.

The entry price is way to high to get "economy". $26k+ for compact car???

It's almost identical in exterior dimensions to a Accord of 2005 vintage. If anything slightly larger. "Compact" is misleading for how large that segment of cars has become. I parked next to a 1992 Celebrity the other day, and that "family" car was dwarfed by my "compact".

I can see this selling well in areas that want a no-battery high-MPG car that's assembled in North America and wears a Detroit 3 badge.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

This is the crux of the matter. Very, very, very few people want an "econobox". That is to say, engine, transmission, and pretty much nothing else. BITOG by far has more people who want that than in the real market. If there was more of a market for it, they would make more of them.

A cruze isn't SUPPOSED to be an econobox. Neither is a Focus, an Elantra, Accent,Sonic, nor the Fit, Yaris, Civic, or even the corolla. Though with varying degrees of success. The Corolla in particular, comes closest to the definition of "econobox" in the sense that they lack content, aren't particularly engaging to drive, has substandard interior quality, and get good gas mileage.

Which is laughable considering that most of the population is highly in debt, has low to no savings, and is a few paychecks away from financial ruin, primarily due to their addiction to payments. There is no such thing as someone who can only afford a $20k car "deserving" anything. They would be better suited to put their situation better in order. There isnt much to learn from a bunch of broke people.

Someday we should split into two sites: bobistheoilguy and bobisthefinancialadviceguy. Threads can exist in two parallel universes forums, one where people talk about finance charges and the other where they talk about cars instead.

Originally Posted By: supton
Someday we should split into two sites: bobistheoilguy and bobisthefinancialadviceguy. Threads can exist in two parallel universes forums, one where people talk about finance charges and the other where they talk about cars instead.

Quoted for truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back