Chevy 350 making only 3 to 5lbs oil pressure idling when warm.

I'd totally run 20W50 unless you're positive you must salvage this motor. It'll buy you time, then cross the bridge when it comes.

Dunno why people think 20W50 is too heavy in a tired, pushrod, domestic V8. These weights used to be way more common when manufacturing tolerances were not what they are today.

It's far from a SBC but I had an '80 Audi 5k with the I5 that reco'd 20W50 in the owners manual.

See also:

OK..... Oil doesn't fix problems. If you have an oil pressure issue it can be many things from a clogged oil pump pick up, bad pump, stuck relief value. That low, I would be surprised if you're getting adequate lubrication of the main bearings and valve train. Take it to an expert for an evaluation. Could be a bad sending unit? But, if indeed there is a mechanical issue and you get it diagnosed now it could save you thousands. If you spin a main bearing there's a high probability that the crank could be ruined. Or, a piston could impact the valves, and it gets worse from all the debris circulating. If you need lawyer you don't get legal advice from Billy Bob Jo, you go to an expert. You could NOT listen to good advice, but remember any **** fool can learn by experience. Don't be that fool.

If you are willing to to take a gamble with some work involved just slam in a set of .001 under rod & mains. Do the rods& make sure they slide side to side after torquing. After each main installed make sure crank rolls around free. Install a Melling HV pump & pickup. This could buy a lot of time on a well used engine. If it should fail you are not a lot behind where you are now.

If that oil pressure is correct, the main bearings have too much clearance now, and thats where your oil pressure is leaking away. IF its not knocking, you might could remove the pan and check the main bearings. If they have not spun and scored the crank, you could try to roll in new bearings, but its iffy.

If you have connected a mechanical gauge to verify the pressure.................over what others have said.............. it could be the screen in the pan being clogged, or the pump being bad or leaking. I am sure the scientists on here will disagree, but if the pickup screen is clogged and the oil passages are open, there will be substantially less pressure where ever you are measuring.

Worth checking out if you plan to keep the truck. I would run something thick in the meantime. 20w50, or some lucas.

If you have connected a mechanical gauge to verify the pressure.................over what others have said.............. it could be the screen in the pan being clogged, or the pump being bad or leaking. I am sure the scientists on here will disagree, but if the pickup screen is clogged and the oil passages are open, there will be substantially less pressure where ever you are measuring.

Worth checking out if you plan to keep the truck. I would run something thick in the meantime. 20w50, or some lucas.
The OP said he ran it without oil for "a minute" so highly likely the bearings are shot.

If you are willing to to take a gamble with some work involved just slam in a set of .001 under rod & mains. Do the rods& make sure they slide side to side after torquing. After each main installed make sure crank rolls around free. Install a Melling HV pump & pickup. This could buy a lot of time on a well used engine. If it should fail you are not a lot behind where you are now.

Without machining the crank I think I would try standard size bearings instead of under sized ones. Too much risk of insufficient clearance on one or more journals.

Run it with 20w-50, cover the oil pressure gauge with electrical tape and drive away. It might eventually die, it might not. If it doesn't 350 SBC's are everywhere, even today. Buy a used one, a rebuilt one, build one for cheap, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by running a heavier weight oil. Nothing.

Run it with 20w-50, cover the oil pressure gauge with electrical tape and drive away. It might eventually die, it might not. If it doesn't 350 SBC's are everywhere, even today. Buy a used one, a rebuilt one, build one for cheap, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by running a heavier weight oil. Nothing.
Wisdom.

I would try a new oil pump first before rebuilding/replacing it. After my new oil pump in my 93 C1500 5.7l it builds better pressure again. Mine never got as low as yours but 8-10psi now it is around 15 now at idle. Easy job if 2wd but either way I would try it.
Also until then, running 15w40 or 20w50 will help.

Back