Chevron Supreme vs Mobile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Mazda MX5 Miata, just trying to get the best oil for my car. I routinely bring my car up to redline. OCI is 5,000 miles, or maybe a little more, I don't intend to keep extended OCI, I also use Wix filters.

I'm wondering which oil would be better, the oil weight is 5W20.

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
OCI is 5,000 miles, or maybe a little more, I don't intend to keep extended OCI...

Of the two that you listed obviously either will work, but Chevron would be the best value for such a short OCI.

Any name brand synthetic is more than good enough for 7-8k OCI in a Miata, if your trips are more than 10 miles most of the time. If you do 5-6k OCI then name brand dino is more than adequate.

Of the 2 you mentioned, I pick Mobil 1 0W20 and replace 1 quart with Mobil 1 0W40 to raise the HTHS by 0.2.

Mobil Super 5000 is great oil.

I'd move up to a 5W-30.

5W-20 is driven by the CAFE fuel economy standards.

I use 5W-30 in my son's 2004 RX8 with no problems. While it is a very different engine, early failure of the rotaries has been anecdotally attributed to the lack of protection from the 5W-20 spec'ed by the factory.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Any name brand synthetic is more than good enough for 7-8k OCI in a Miata, if your trips are more than 10 miles most of the time. If you do 5-6k OCI then name brand dino is more than adequate.

Of the 2 you mentioned, I pick Mobil 1 0W20 and replace 1 quart with Mobil 1 0W40 to raise the HTHS by 0.2.

Could you explain what you mean.

Chevron Supreme is a Tier One conventional oil and will do just fine in your Miata's engine at those change intervals. Buy it on sale at Costco for about $2.05/qt.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Could you explain what you mean.

High temperature High shear

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
OCI is 5,000 miles, or maybe a little more, I don't intend to keep extended OCI...

Of the two that you listed obviously either will work, but Chevron would be the best value for such a short OCI.

+1

I'm sure Chevron would likely work ok.

Nevertheless, Mobil 1 can be had CHEAP on sales, in jugs, etc. There is usually a way to get a good deal on Mobil 1, so why not?

I have changed Mobil 1, albeit 0w40, at 5-6k intervals before and don't think I have wasted money

Though oil costs are very different in the UK

The only Chevron Supreme oils we get are 10w40 which is an A3/B3/B4 oil at just under £44 for 20 litres and 5w30 A1/B1 (might be A5/B5 aswell but not sure) which is the same price.

Mobil 1 is just under £30 for 5 litres

So for oil the difference is £30 against £11 per OCI

I personally think any car that is used hard on occasion or used round town or for short stop start journeys will benefit from a quality oil like Mobil 1

I may be wasting money but why take the chance?

The other advantage with my plan is that if things happen and I don't have time to do an OCI say due to family issues, weather issues or maybe ill health then I know my oil is not something to worry about

In the UK the 1.8 and 2.0 are both specced up for 5w30 A5/B5 oil

Which would be my old friend Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30, a name which just rolls off the tongue.....

I have used that oil in 2.0 tdci Ford Mondeos, Honda CR-V 2.2 cdtis, my Volvo V50 2.0d and also in my Pathfinder 2.5dci with Dpf.

It is a good oil and has served me well

If my Jag was not fitted with a Dpf I would put it in there aswell.

Yes, I will admit to being somewhat biased

I would def use 5w30 as has already been suggested

We have strict EU targets in Europe but instead of going thin we seem to go low HTHS fuel economy oils to get improvements in economy.

Done a check they use low HTHS fuel economy oils aswell.

But is the engine any different between the UK and US?

Would 5w30 actually provide better protection?

Or are we just paranoid over here?

In Denmark those engines require acea a5/b5 5w-30 and runs 20.000 km Oci. I use valvoline synpower FE 5w-30. I believe it,s a true synthetic since it,s sold in Germany as vollsynthetishe.

However the oem oil supplyer for Mazda is TOTAL/ELF

And the TOTAL QUARTZ Future 9000 5W-30 is what is sold in Mazda bottles at dealers.

I have a 2007 Mazda MX5 Miata, just trying to get the best oil for my car. I routinely bring my car up to redline. OCI is 5,000 miles, or maybe a little more, I don't intend to keep extended OCI, I also use Wix filters.

I'm wondering which oil would be better, the oil weight is 5W20.

Redline as in track use or redline as in accelerate onto freeway?

If you push it hard, go synthetic. If you track it change after 1-2 track events, forget mileage. If you can provide more info...

Even with short OCIs like 5K, a quality synthetic out performs dino. Will dino protect for many mile? Yes. Synthetic oils still provide a better quality lubricant for a sound engine. Synthetic oil provides a cushion in several areas I have observed for many years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Even with short OCIs like 5K, a quality synthetic out performs dino. Will dino protect for many mile? Yes. Synthetic oils still provide a better quality lubricant for a sound engine. Synthetic oil provides a cushion in several areas I have observed for many years.

Uh oh. At 5000 mile intervals.
Gotta posts some real data for that one tig.

Happy new year tig
cheers3.gif
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Happy new year tig
cheers3.gif
Trolling.gif

At 5K OCIs synthetic will cost more than dino, however if cost is no factor($2 a month more) synthetic provides more protection. Here is a link from XM.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Happy new year tig
cheers3.gif
Trolling.gif

At 5K OCIs synthetic will cost more than dino, however if cost is no factor($2 a month more) synthetic provides more protection. Here is a link from XM.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

Real data tig,like some used oil analysis showing less wear at 5000 miles or something,not fluff from the marketing department from exxonmobil.
To be honest,from the used oil analysis I've seen conventional oil actually sheds less wear metals than synthetic at 5000 mile intervals,so unless an engine is being operated at the very limits of its design parameters I don't believe synthetic adds any real value,value being less wear,than a conventional at a 5000 mile interval.
Don't get me wrong. I do like synthetics and I use them however I extend the drain intervals so that the cost is justified.
Running a synthetic for 5000 miles in my opinion is stupid. Wear will be comparable using a conventional and the cost per mile decreases.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Chevron Supreme is a Tier One conventional oil and will do just fine in your Miata's engine at those change intervals. Buy it on sale at Costco for about $2.05/qt.

Ditto. I've been using this oil in my '94 for a while now. It's been great. You can't beat the price either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back