Cheap tires input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste
General Exclaim HPX

Mentioned these Wally World only tires. Had them for about nine months and so far have no complaints. Actually seem to be getting quieter. Best Walmart only tire I've bought-- better than their Goodyear stuff.
I don't think they make the Exclaim in that size. Fedex or UPS would deliver these to the store, direct from Continental.

Originally Posted by dishdude
If Discount Tire won't sell it, it's not worth buying. They have some cheaper/lower end tires, but they seem to be good quality and will stand behind them.

I must agree here. Discount put a set of Falken 31" X 10.5" X 15" on my 1991 F-150 after I had a set of Goodyear Wranglers go south after just 20,000 miles. (Chunks started flying off of them on the freeway exposing the steel belts). I questioned it because I had never heard of the brand before. But I took their advice.

The Falken's were much cheaper, and they ride better. And so far have lasted much longer. In fact, counting the original Goodyear's the truck came with, plus a set of Remington's, and the previously mentioned Goodyear Wrangler's, the Falken's have out lasted them all. And they still have a large amount of tread remaining on them. I would buy another set of them from Discount in a heartbeat.

I have Falken 18's on my 1998 Cobra. I'm very impressed with them.

Who knew I'd be comparing these relatively inexpensive Sumitomo Rubber Industries tires to Toyos/Nittos (which I LOVE)

As far as cheap tires go, Hercules seems to do pretty well. IIRC, they don't design their own tires, but rather buy the molds of older models from major brands, then continue production. Their snow tires, for example, are Nokian WRs, made in the same factory with the same machines.

Sumitomo also makes a good, fairly cheap tire too. They're Japanese made and actually a huge company, but they fly under the radar for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
As far as cheap tires go, Hercules seems to do pretty well. IIRC, they don't design their own tires, but rather buy the molds of older models from major brands, then continue production. Their snow tires, for example, are Nokian WRs, made in the same factory with the same machines.

Sumitomo also makes a good, fairly cheap tire too. They're Japanese made and actually a huge company, but they fly under the radar for a variety of reasons.

Didn't see Sumitomo in the cheap categories for some reason.

I really don't care too much about name brand for tires. Discount tire is one of the largest dealers in the country.

They are going to stand behind a tire and not risk selling garbage. I think they are involved in the development of some tires, such as Arizonian brand, and others.

Unless you are driving a performance car, it doesn't matter too much.

My Scion has Sentury all season tires, my Hyundai has 18 inch Sentury UHP tires.

Both are fine and wearing normally.

As I said in the other cheap tire thread, I'm currently rocking a set of Nankangs because I needed something cheap, black, and round.

I like them. $379 for 4 M&B with road hazard.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Didn't see Sumitomo in the cheap categories for some reason.

Sumitomos aren't as cheap as the junk Chinese tires, but they're usually cheaper than say Michelins or Bridgestones. Tend to be a bit less than Generals, even. They're really good tires for what they cost, though.

Thanks everyone, who have advised on the other tire thread. If you know any other cheap tire website, please do share.

Once again, a plea to list the vehicle and tire size in question. Or at a minimum at least please link the "other tire tread". Looking at your past recent threads, we seem to be talking about the Accord in 195/65/15.

Maybe I can add something to this conversation. I have been looking for a good deal in that exact tire size for my 10 Corolla. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Hankook Primacy PT H737. Great in rain, 90K mileage warranty, good ride. Made in USA, if that matters to you. The discount choice.
Continental TrueContact Tour. These seem to be the spiritual successor to my current PureContact EcoPlus, which have been excellent tires. The premium choice.

I have not pulled the trigger yet because, like you, I see no current promotion (which is sure to occur 30 days after my purchase). However Walmart has an outstanding regular price for the H737's right now, $64.44/ea. If I absolutely needed the tires today (which I don't) on a budget, I would get these.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Thanks everyone, who have advised on the other tire thread. If you know any other cheap tire website, please do share.

Once again, a plea to list the vehicle and tire size in question. Or at a minimum at least please link the "other tire tread". Looking at your past recent threads, we seem to be talking about the Accord in 195/65/15.

Maybe I can add something to this conversation. I have been looking for a good deal in that exact tire size for my 10 Corolla. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Hankook Primacy PT H737. Great in rain, 90K mileage warranty, good ride. Made in USA, if that matters to you. The discount choice.
Continental TrueContact Tour. These seem to be the spiritual successor to my current PureContact EcoPlus, which have been excellent tires. The premium choice.

I have not pulled the trigger yet because, like you, I see no current promotion (which is sure to occur 30 days after my purchase). However Walmart has an outstanding regular price for the H737's right now, $64.44/ea. If I absolutely needed the tires today (which I don't) on a budget, I would get these.

Thanks for your valuable input. Always appreciate it. Yeah it's for 07 Accord VP and I am leaning towards Walmart, but not in a rush so waiting for a promo or rebate on either Hankook.

Costco isn't ruled out yet, so as Amazon- whoever will have the deal, I'll go to them
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Traction
Is it just me, or has the forum turned into mostly only talking about cheap tires, and worn out cars? What a waste of electrons. I always liked this site to learn about important stuff.

Keeping old cars going and making wise decisions on substantial expenses like tires IS important stuff to many people. Not everyone on this site is going to be a lubrication engineer.

I would suggest not clicking on threads with titles like "Cheap tires input?" if you wish to avoid this kind of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back