Changing my oil tomorrow!!! What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok tomorrow is my big day!!! Time for my oil change on my 03 camry. So what should I use? I have the following three oils: 1. PYB 2. Formula Shell 3. Maxlife Blend, all 5w30. I have 106,000 miles on my car and use a quarter to half a quart every 3,500 miles and I am going to use a toyota oil filter. Any opinions would be great. I will take the groups advice on this change.
Thanks in advanced!!!

I would check for oil leaks, then fill it with normal 5w-30.

Check for oil pan leaks and leaks on the side of the engine.

after following these boards, i'm tempted to start running supertech basic oil wallyworld. cheapest oil .. if the OCI is decent, its not a concern unless you are a formula 1 team

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Choices, choices. They're all great, but I'd use the MaxLife since it's thicker at temp and we're going into summer...

As much as I love my PYB, I agree with this. Based on your stash, Maxlife would be my summer pick.

I have a 99 camry V6. I bought it when it had 158K miles on it and now it has 186K.

I have used only Valvoline Maxlife Synthentic blend 5W-30 for the past 30K miles.

I did an oil change this past weekend and used Synpower 5w-30 with the O'Rielly rebate going on. I was a bit skeptical about using a synthetic first for this high mileage but the car didn't consume any oil for the past 30K miles so I decided to try the full synthetic. About 275 miles since oil change and so far so good. No smoke or burnt smell. Smooth (probably a bit "peppy" than maxlife, but could be perception with the new oil). The gas tank does seem to like the Synpower better as it's got a bit more fuel left in it than otherwise with Maxlife. No change in driving habits, routes, weather, AC use etc. I am only at half tank at this point and seem to be 15 to 20 miles ahead than usual. In hindsight, based on the overall (percieved??) behaviour now and the seemingly higher mpg (I will know for sure in a few days), the maxlife did seem to be a bit more viscous/heavy than the synpower.

I will update on the MPG and the effects (if any) of "full synthetic" on this high mileage car.

BTW, Pennzoil just introduced a new formulation in conventional dino oil line. The 10w-30 High Mileage is GF-5 compatible now. It's at walmart. I picked up a 5qt jug of that one too, but decided to try the synpower first. If the Synpower "leaks", I will try the pennzoil 10w-30 high mileage new formula.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am running high speeds 75-80 mph about 20 miles each way to and from work. Could this be the reason for the burn off. I have no leaks, but I haven't used an oil plug gasket the last three changes. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but you never know. So most of you would think Maxlife at this point or stick with the regular PYB or Shell? Maybe Bill in Utah would have a recommendation since he has a similar car in the corolla.

Last edited:
Why would he need Maxlife?Does it not have seal swellers in it?Do you have a leaky seal?Is oil burning past the rings or something,The current top up rate dosen't seem like high consumption.

I would use full synthetic if the loss of oil is not through leakage. For the last 2 years I have changed the oil on my Prizm with Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and Mobil 1 5W-30 & 10W-30 (blend of 1qt HM and 3 qt EP), and lastly Mobil 10W-40 now. I had chosen Mobil 1 HM because of higher miles on my Prizm, 140K now.With Castrol Syntec 0W-30 I had to add almost a quart make up oil in 10K miles OCI.

Went with PYB 5w30. I figure why mess with something that isn't broken. Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if I am ready to go to the high mileage oil at this point. I figure I will do an UOA before making an significant changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back