Changing from 5W-30 to 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
but I was under the impression that the German Autobahn is no longer the speed-limitless free-for-all it once was

Yes and no. For the most part you cant plant your right foot anymore and leave it there. The traffic jams and road work really slows things down, these are most common April through Sept.

Still when it clears you can still boot it. Last year i was driving from Hamburg to Nürnberg at night and still got the old Merc into the high end of the speedo for some good long stretches. From Köln to Frankfurt i managed to keep it to the boards most of the way which is almost two hundred kilometers.

Any politician stupid enough to think about speed limits and says so usually find him/herself out of a job next election.

My '11 G37 VQ is on a steady PU/PP diet after much research. I may change sometime down the road to 0w40 if I keep both of my cars past the BMW free maintenance window (2012 335i sedan) or decide to do intermediate changes. This would allow stocking of a single common oil. For right now, I am sticking to a 6 month OCI for warranty reasons and the PP/PU jug works perfectly for my sump. If the 0w40 were to be available in jugs, I would give it a shot.

AA auto has it in jugs now. Great buy when they have a sale with Mobil 1 EP filter for $34
I hit them hard the last sale. I run it in almost everything now except the engines that need 10w60.

No problems or loss of fuel economy to speak of and loads of protection with good cold start properties, it doesn't get any better.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Whats the myth with cam phasers/actuators/controllers?

How many times have you read that if you don't run the 5w20 the cam phasers wont work properly?
lots of times here and elsewhere, its just a not true.

I was reading one such piece of drivel just a few days ago (not here) where someone claimed heavier oils like 0w40 don't transfer heat well and the cam phasers will overheat.

Last edited:
Just to be-labor this issue, I just ran around to 4 different auto parts stores...nobody carries 0W-30 Synthetic in bulk.

They said...people are "scared to use that thin oil"...

Just proves the lack of knowledge. They were selling Mobil 1 0W-30 Synthetic for $5/quart

Pretty crazy considering that two other stores were selling PP and Castrol for $6/quart...

Why? Nobody buys this stuff...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

Originally Posted By: Trav
AA auto has it in jugs now. Great buy when they have a sale with Mobil 1 EP filter for $34
I hit them hard the last sale. I run it in almost everything now except the engines that need 10w60.

No problems or loss of fuel economy to speak of and loads of protection with good cold start properties, it doesn't get any better.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Whats the myth with cam phasers/actuators/controllers?

How many times have you read that if you don't run the 5w20 the cam phasers wont work properly?
lots of times here and elsewhere, its just a not true.

I was reading one such piece of drivel just a few days ago (not here) where someone claimed heavier oils like 0w40 don't transfer heat well and the cam phasers will overheat.

I partially agree. "Must to operate properly", "overheating from thick oil" clearly not true. But there are instances where the phaser/controller/actuator performs better with thin oil. Mainly startup. Not because of wear, because of hydraulics.

For Toyotas VVT-i its helpful with high mileage or poorly maintained engines. The narrow passages delivering oil to the controller (has even narrower passages) easily clog, causing hydraulic issues at startup. The 1-2 second lock pin tick which sounds like a dry start. The faster the oil can flow, the less likely to tick.

Clean the oil passages and the controller, no need for the thinner oil.

Originally Posted By: ACoupe09
Just to be-labor this issue, I just ran around to 4 different auto parts stores...nobody carries 0W-30 Synthetic in bulk.

They said...people are "scared to use that thin oil"...

Just proves the lack of knowledge. They were selling Mobil 1 0W-30 Synthetic for $5/quart

Pretty crazy considering that two other stores were selling PP and Castrol for $6/quart...

Why? Nobody buys this stuff...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

What I thought, availability of your fave brand in 0w30 vs 5w30 in every flavor. We have 35 Walmarts in this tiny state, I'm positive theres one near you. Maybe better luck there. $26.49 5qt jug M1, PP little less, Ultra little more.

Puro Classic filters 3.27

These engines are sold all over the world without any increase in problems over the ones sold in the US running while 5w30 or 0w40.
What do you do when the passages are clogged up enough for 0w20 to get through (yes i have seen it), use 100% MMO?

Mobil 1 0w40 is one of the best cleaning oils in the business so chance are if it was used from day 1 there would be nothing in the passages anyway.

Quote:
Quit tempting me. Synthetics are expensive. Well, at least I don't drive my G hard

Do what i did and put the earplugs in to keep the naysayers and "the engineers know best gang" out and try it. LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav

Do what i did and put the earplugs in to keep the naysayers and "the engineers know best gang" out and try it. LOL

He he, I'm one of those who can't tell the difference between the sounds of different grades in the same engine, so it wouldn't matter to me anyhow. My 3.7 seems quiet to me, too, compared to what other people have said about them. I suppose my old F-150 with the non-insulated cab ruined my ears.
wink.gif

Or I could try a more cost effective 15w-40 conventional in it. :p

[/quote]
Got it! So..Sacrificing quality/brand due to availability of 0w30's matters more than the difference between the two around here IMO. The climate has changed fast few years. This was the 2nd warmest winter on record, with an avg temp of 40F. Single digits a couple of times, only snowed twice.

Good discussion. [/quote]

You may have just jinxed it, prepare for -10 for 7 days this winter.... Break out the 0w, er, 5w, oh no.......... I'm so confused....

Last edited:
too many "yes but" clarifications in these 6 pages, not complicated but maybe confusing --
in coastal south carolina I may stay with 5w - 30 in my 99 maxima VQ engine, especially since pennzoil dino is said to be thinner or is that only for pennzoil son (another complication)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back