Cell phone privacy question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the comments. I realize there is no privacy anymore. I guess I'm just sick of google and their shenanigans. My main search engines are startpage.com and duckduckgo.com. I use them on Windows 7 and Windows 10. Don't seem to get as much crap when I use the ipad. I'll just have to be more careful about cookies.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Thanks for all the comments. I realize there is no privacy anymore. I guess I'm just sick of google and their shenanigans. My main search engines are startpage.com and duckduckgo.com. I use them on Windows 7 and Windows 10. Don't seem to get as much crap when I use the ipad. I'll just have to be more careful about cookies.

Your ISP records every IP address you visit. This is why I mentioned TOR. Your ISP sees you hitting a TOR node but not whats behind it. Nation states can track your traffic on the TOR network but I'm assuming you're not worried about them.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Your ISP records every IP address you visit. This is why I mentioned TOR. Your ISP sees you hitting a TOR node but not whats behind it. Nation states can track your traffic on the TOR network but I'm assuming you're not worried about them.

TOR's not a panacea.

"While your data is encrypted along each of the relay nodes, the final connection point at the last relay in the chain can be compromised if the requested site does not use SSL"

No such thing as privacy anymore. Pretty much any device you use is sharing your data with corporations who sell it. Even your infotainment system in your modern car is selling your data to the manufacturer.

My internet is 4g lte. When I go online it's from a different city in the US. If I am on Home Depot's site, they think I'm in Atlanta or St.Louis or somewhere else when I'm actually at home.

Also, my nephew is in IT and he told me if you want to get noticed by the govt., use Tor.

Originally Posted by JerryBob

TOR's not a panacea.

"While your data is encrypted along each of the relay nodes, the final connection point at the last relay in the chain can be compromised if the requested site does not use SSL"

Yep. That's where you use a VPN to access the TOR network. For the desktop one can become fairly anonymous using TAILS but of course we're talking smartphones here.

Also, my nephew is in IT and he told me if you want to get noticed by the govt., use Tor.

Yep. The FBI temporarily broke TOR a couple of years ago when IIRC they assumed control of a large portion of the nodes. IIRC in recent history the Feds were trying to make it illegal for any US Citizen to use the TOR Network at all. TOR/TAILS is still one of the best ways for people who live in despotic countries to communicate with the outside. Its just a tool like a firearm. It can be used to do good or bad.

Last edited:
Even if you are able to prevent google from remembering for all posterity, the sites you visit will have a record of you being there.

Privacy is a lost cause. You can keep it to a smaller amount of information about you, but quite a bit will be out there

IIRC in recent history the Feds were trying to make it illegal for any US Citizen to use the TOR Network at all.

I'm sure that would work as magnificently as did trying to ban high grade encryption as a weapon and the attempt to lock up Phil Zimmerman over it. The sad thing is that the people in power have less understanding of the technology than the general public, which is pretty alarming. When I was doing some federal consulting over some IT security matters, I was in touch with Phil Zimmerman less than 18 months after the investigation against him was dropped. Whether or not it raised eyebrows of those in charge was immaterial to me. You either work with people who can barely turn a computer on or you work with people who actually know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back