cell phone freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Verizon Droid 2 Global. The global part was intended to be used overseas (at least by Verizon). I unlocked the phone then unlocked the baseband and I use it on T-Mobile GSM.

But I get [censored] poor service mostly. So while the phone does work on T-Mobile, maybe it does not have all the freq. available that T-Mobile uses and that is the issue?

Are you connecting on 2G or 3G?

According to specs, the phone supports the following:

2G:
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G:
HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

T-Mobile uses:

2G:
1900 Mhz

3G:
1700 Mhz

From what I've read, T-Mobile is in the process of moving 3g/4g to 1900 Mhz.

It's because the "global" phones typically only have one frequency for each region/carrier. A carrier-specific version will have multiple (aka quad-band), which means it can hop to the other frequencies depending on your location. Dense population areas need different signals than rural ones.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's because the "global" phones typically only have one frequency for each region/carrier. A carrier-specific version will have multiple (aka quad-band), which means it can hop to the other frequencies depending on your location. Dense population areas need different signals than rural ones.

Your comment does not agree with Quatto Pete's post as far a freq. the phone supports.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: dparm

Your comment does not agree with Quatto Pete's post as far a freq. the phone supports.

GSM carriers do not use a single frequency for voice, typically.

I have a Verizon Droid 2 Global. The global part was intended to be used overseas (at least by Verizon). I unlocked the phone then unlocked the baseband and I use it on T-Mobile GSM.

But I get [censored] poor service mostly. So while the phone does work on T-Mobile, maybe it does not have all the freq. available that T-Mobile uses and that is the issue?

That sounds like a lot of trouble.

Ebay, Aliexpress (cheaper, better variety), etc., offer unlocked GSM phones by the gazillions, although most seem to be only 2G or 3G. 4G is noticeably faster for mobile web access, at least around here.

Just put in your gsm sim card, and go. I've never had an issue with one of these other world phones on the AT&T GSM network. Probably doesn't help you now, but sounds like you did it the hard and expensive way, with unacceptable to mediocre results.

T-Mobile uses the 1900 PCS band for their 2G voice services and the AWS band for their 3G services which is 1700 for the up link and 2100 for the down link. T-Mobile does have very limited newly deployed 1900 PCS 3G which can be seen at sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II) (user submitted data). Based on the specs of your phone you'll mostly be looking at 2G for voice and data coverage. That particular phone would be better suited for a AT&T based provider since it supports the correct band's for AT&T's 3G like AT&T GoPhone, Airvoice wireless etc.

Last edited:
When I look online, I see NET10 SIM cards for phones. They have a regular and micro for AT&T phones and a regular for T-Mobile. Why one for T-Mobile and AT&T the same size?

Or maybe if I get a NET10 AT&T card it will work on AT&T cell towers and a T-Mobile card it will work on T-Mobile cell towers?

I think NET10 buys wholesale cell service from all 4 carriers (Verz, Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T) and its the phone/SIM card that determines which cell towers it uses?

Originally Posted By: Win

That sounds like a lot of trouble.

Ebay, Aliexpress (cheaper, better variety), etc., offer unlocked GSM phones by the gazillions, although most seem to be only 2G or 3G. 4G is noticeably faster for mobile web access, at least around here.

Just put in your gsm sim card, and go. I've never had an issue with one of these other world phones on the AT&T GSM network. Probably doesn't help you now, but sounds like you did it the hard and expensive way, with unacceptable to mediocre results.

Actually it was the cheap way. I had been a Verizon customer and the phone was a contract phone under Verizon, when my contract was up I unlocked the baseband and shopped for a cheaper cell company.

I signed up for Consumer Cellular, you get a 30 trial, no cost if you cancel, low cost rate plans, free SIM card.

The use AT&T network.

In a couple of years I can get the AARP discount.

While I agree T-Mobile was a poor choice for my Droid 2 Global phone as far a freq. goes, my GF has a T-Mobile phone she got from T-Mobile and it does no better in my area than my phone as far as reception goes (meaning NONE).

I think NET10 buys wholesale cell service from all 4 carriers (Verz, Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T) and its the phone/SIM card that determines which cell towers it uses?

No. AT&T & T-Mobile are using GSM technology (aka SIM cards). Verizon and Sprint are CDMA (no SIM card, unless it's an LTE phone). They're completely different technologies.

The older "global" or "world" phones included SIM card slots and an extra GSM radio/modem simply so you could run on a different network if necessary.

T Mobile's AWS is a bit of an odd ball that makes other phones on their network a bit quirky. Many people didn't realize that in order for a carrier to sell a subsidized phone they demand testing to make sure they meet certain compatibility and performance requirement. I have a friend who bought a non US model oversea and it works poorly despite being a "global" phone and GSM/WCDMA/UMTS on AT&T. Many phones that were not intended for T Mobile were never developed and tested on AWS and therefore may not do well in that network.

On the LTE front, despite many carrier have LTE phones of similar chips, they have unique type of network support for backward compatibility. LTE phone from AT&T may have identical LTE circuits for both AT&T/T Mobile/Sprint/Verizon, but they only have space for either GSM/WCDMDA/UMTS/HSPA, or CDMA/EVDO, and you would not be able to just unlock it and jump from one to the other. This may change in the future when they shrink the chip smaller, or when these legacy network go dark and every one moves to VoLTE.

I found that it is usually much easier to just sell the phone and buy a carrier specific phone and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back