CATERHAM BLEND | 60%/40% | 15161KM(9420m)|G5 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you posted this in two threads, I'm posting my response to it here as well.

Just a few points:

Originally Posted By: Capa
I think that it is sad that this thread, along with several others in this vast forum, has been derailed by this witch hunt.

I wouldn't call it a witch hunt. It is simply a call for recognition that you create an unknown when you blend products together without testing the end result in the same way each of the contributing products are tested.

Quote:
Believe it or not, people were mixing oils in this forum way before Caterham joined, in fact people have been doing this for decades with no ill effects. The fact that I can run an oil with sodium and then two OCI's later some sodium shows up even though the previous two oils didn't contain any shows that everyone mixes oils, whether they are for it and against it.

Having trace amounts of a previous product showing up in a UOA is not the same as blending specific quantities of two or more formulated lubricants together in hopes of achieving a superior end-product. A product whose cited superiority rests fully on its VI and no other trait.

Quote:
The fact that even oil manufacturers state that it is ok to mix should be an eye opener to some.

And those same oil manufacturers state that in order to get the full benefits of a given product, it is best to use it by itself. Is that an opposing eye opener or are we going to continue to reach? Nobody is arguing that mixing oils is going to result in catastrophic engine failure. But simply because oils CAN be mixed without noted ill-effect in no way implies that oils SHOULD be mixed in hopes that you'll somehow end up with a product that is somehow greater than the products that were mixed to make it.

Quote:
It wouldn't make any sense for an oil company to make an oil that it's not compatible with other oils. People keep on saying how oils are carefully balanced and yet we have all seen the variance within batches. What about those variances my fellow wannabe chemists?

And we are basing these variances on what, VOA's and UOA's, which we know to be imprecise measuring tools for these sorts of things in the first place? Come on, this is as bad as thinking a UOA is going to tell you the exact rate at which your engine is wearing. They are a tool to measure contamination and oil life, nothing more. They are not a wear divining rod and they aren't meant to provide you with the exact composition of a lubricant either.

And even WITH batch variances, you are dealing with slight changes in the quantity of components that have already been tested to a given standard together. You aren't introducing foreign substances like sodium for example into an oil that didn't have sodium in it, or adding tri-nuclear moly to an oil that doesn't have it...etc.

Quote:
If you have a major problem with mixing oils and then the onus is on you to provide evidence to the contrary. Those of us that have mixed oils have provided UOA's, VOA's, and the butt dyno as evidence and you have provided nothing but the theoretical possibility that it may not be feasible even though for decades people have been mixing. Moreover, calling people trolls adds nothing to the discussion.

Quite the opposite dear sir. We have the manufacturer certifications and approvals as well as the data provided by the API and ACEA that shows that a formulated lubricant performs to a given standard. We have MOUNTAINS of this evidence. The fact that you'd cite UOA's, VOA's and the bloody "butt dyno" as proof that you haven't compromised some trait of a properly formulated product is beyond laughable.

Do you think your VOA, UOA and butt dyno replicates the test used by Porsche to obtain their approval? Grueling hours of simulated Nurburgring lapping? How about the Sequence IVA test? Honda's deposit control test? Name ONE OEM, API or ACEA testing protocol that your butt-dyno/VOA/UOA "testing" replicates. There isn't one.

You can mix to your hearts content, I've got nothing against your experimentation. Just don't tell me you've created a better end-product. Because until you actually test it in the manner in which a properly formulated lubricant is tested, you are just peddling unsubstantiated tripe.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You can mix to your hearts content, I've got nothing against your experimentation. Just don't tell me you've created a better end-product. Because until you actually test it in the manner in which a properly formulated lubricant is tested, you are just peddling unsubstantiated tripe.

x10

I agree with what Overkill said. Capa, you called us wannabe chemists. Not true and it's offensive. Lets keep derogatory name calling out of threads.

OVERK1LL, I don't think it's complete and utter disregard for the other contributors that ultimately lead to the final performance of the lubricant or other contributing factors to a lubricant's performance seemingly dismissed as irrelevant. At least that is not the case for me, as I have said before I can't read CATERHAM's mind.

To me, we are using two well formulated oils that perform well on their own, not unknown or questionable quality components. Maybe the mix is not "optimal" but based on the fact that API oils must be mixable I don't think there is a great fear of additive clash. With that in mind, those other factors are already looked after so VI is the primary reason for this blend.

Now before anyone jumps on the lack of fear comment, I'm not saying it's not a concern. I do believe it is a great concern for formulators and that is why they go to school and likely get paid well for what they do. That is also why I don't believe that their formulated oils would be so volatile as to cause additive clash issues when they are API certified and therefore mixable.

Originally Posted By: cp3

OK? Certainly. But even the quote that CATERHAM used to attempt to bolster his point indicated that it wasn't optimal.

Talk about a selective interpretation. Obviously Castrol like every synthetic oil formulator is going to recommend that you use their product undiluted to get the "maximum benefit". But the first two sentences of the Castrol quote I'll repeat:

"Syntec is a fully formulated, super premium motor oil and is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic motor oils.
Mixing Syntec with a premium oil WILL IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE OIL and not harm your engine in any way."

So what part of "WILL IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE" of the oil it is being mixed with didn't you understand?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

OK? Certainly. But even the quote that CATERHAM used to attempt to bolster his point indicated that it wasn't optimal.

Talk about a selective interpretation. Obviously Castrol like every synthetic oil formulator is going to recommend that you use their product undiluted to get the "maximum benefit". But the first two sentences of the Castrol quote I'll repeat:

"Syntec is a fully formulated, super premium motor oil and is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic motor oils.
Mixing Syntec with a premium oil WILL IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE OIL and not harm your engine in any way."

So what part of "WILL IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE" of the oil it is being mixed with didn't you understand?

What part about the omitted part of the quote don't YOU understand? If you add Syntec to Dollarama oil, I would hope the freakin' end product would yield better performance. However that doesn't mean that if you mix Syntec with Mobil 1 that it is going to improve the performance. Selective interpretation indeed!!

Your assumption here appears to be that I'm a retard and hadn't considered the potential angles that could be taken with this. I've got news for you, I'm not and I have.

BTW, since CATERHAM has quoted Castrol, I'm going to quote Mobil:

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...tional_Oil.aspx
Originally Posted By: Mobil

Question:
Will Mixing Synthetic with Conventional Oil Cause a Gel to Form?
I mixed Mobil 1 with regular motor oil. My mechanic told me I should not do this because it forms a gel; is this true? I did it on 3 Honda Accords - a 2003 with 40,000 miles, a 1990 with 201,000 miles and a 1992 with 190,000 miles.
-- Jordan Mayer, Cape Coral, FL

Answer:
In general, oils should be compatible with each other. It is not likely that you would form gel by mixing the two oils. However, we would not recommend mixing oils as a general practice because oils are complex mixtures of additives and base oils that can be destabilized. Lastly, why reduce the outstanding performance of Mobil 1 by adding “regular oil”. Is it economics? You would be better to run all Mobil 1 and run it longer than mixing it with “regular oil”.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mixing_Motor_Oil_Viscosity.aspx

Question:
Mixing Motor Oil Viscosities to Achieve 5W-50 Oil
I want to mix Mobil 1 5W-30 with 15W-50 (1:1 ratio) and run it in my 2002 Porsche 996 C2. I have two reasons for wanting to do this. First, I live in a region where freezes are rare and it is very hot 8 months out of the year. Second, 5W-50 (what I want) is difficult to find here, the Mobil 1 5W-30 and 15W-50 are readily available in gallon-sized jugs (sometimes value priced). I want to mix them to get the 5W-50 mix I am looking for. Good idea? Bad idea?
-- Lee Thurman, Weatherford, TX

Answer:
We recommend you use Mobil 1 0W-40 all year. It will give you outstanding protection at low ambient temperatures as well as at high operating temperatures.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/ZDDP_Levels_Classic_Cars.aspx

Question:
Mixing Motor Oil to Reach the Right ZDDP Level for Classic Cars
For an older, flat tappet, performance motor with inherent cam wear issues is there any benefit to mixing high ZDDP Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 0W-30 oil? The 15W-50 creates TOO MUCH oil pressure. It would be nice if you had a product for 'Classic' cars, high ZDDP, 0W-30 and 0W-40. I have used nothing but Mobil 1 for 15+ years.
-- Bill McCauley, Tallmadge, OH

Answer:
Mobil 1 0W-40 already contains a higher level of ZDDP (1000 ppm) that could benefit your flat tappet engine. We also have a Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 (1000 ppm); see our table listing the phosphorous levels for all Mobil 1 synthetic motor oils.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mixing_Motor_Oil_Viscosities.aspx

Question:
Mixing Motor Oil Viscosities to Achieve 0W-40
0W-40 is not available in my area. What other weights can I blend to achieve 0W-40? Example: 1 quart of 0W-30 mixed with 1 quart 10W-40 equals 0W-40?
-- Gracie Dog, Columbus, GA

Answer:
Viscosity grades cannot be obtained as described. Please follow the manufacturer’s recommendation and please use the product as it was manufactured. Our online Product Locator shows there are at least 10 stores in the Columbus, Georgia, area that carry Mobil 1 0W-40.

And there are plenty more.......
35.gif

Redline - 600+ppm of moly
1,200ppm of ZDP
3,500ppm of Ca

PP - 80 ppm of Moly
800 ppm of ZDP
2,500 ppm of Ca

*these are rough estimates.

We know that a formulated product that was put through a series of engine tests performs according to what tests is passes. We know that blenders chose specific additive amounts to achieve a level of performance.

From the above, the two are technically compatible. Here is the problem though. Detergents compete with ZDP along the metal surface. POE's also compete for surface space. Redline chose specific additive treat rates to get a level of performance they were happy with. Pennzoil did the same, only PP is formulated noting like RL and is using an entirely different ratio of ZDP/CA and a different form of moly.

While mixing them together (say one wants a higher VI) they are compatible, you no longer have an oil that looks anything like they did when pure.

How will the new detergent/ZDP/Moly levels interact inside your engine? Will this new blend pass the IVA/IIIG and TEOST the same?

Just proves the point that while mixing won't cause any serious problems, you're not really gaining much of anything. And if the VI's are from different companies and on the molecular level they are different, you're making a huge assumption that they will get along together inside your engine.

This blending thing is confusing me. If blending oils produces a "better product" why don't the big oil companies just formulate them that way in the first place?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Many auto makers (Japanese in particular) are now spec'ing these ultra high VI, super thin oils and Caterham agrees with their thinking

Well thats fine but there is only one problem and this is something that i been harping on for a long time.
THERE IS NO SPEC published in any owners manual or service manual for VI.

If anyone can produce any document saying you must use an oil with a VI of XXX in this or that engine. I will eat it on Christmas eve in front to Macy's dept store window.
Or has a spec like Toyota xyz111 that can only be met by having a VI of XXX. There is none, it would be very easy to do, look at Euro manufacturers.
This alone tells me that ultra high Vi is just not that important and the manufacturer is willing to warranty the engine with an oil that has less VI.

Originally Posted By: Swarmlord
This blending thing is confusing me. If blending oils produces a "better product" why don't the big oil companies just formulate them that way in the first place?

Don't worry about it. I agree with CAT on many of his post's. His theory on blending and having beneficial practical positive benefits of a ultra high VII oil's in the crankcase I do not. That is until there is a fully formulated product I can buy off the self that is endorsed by my engine's manufacture.

Quote:
This manufacturer states it would be unlikely anything bad would happen, such as a gel forming from an interaction of the chemicals (a common fear), because the oils are compatible with each other. In fact, many oils are a blend of natural and synthetic oils. So, if you are low on oil, don't be afraid to add a quart or two of synthetic oil if you are using regular oil or even regular oil if you are using a synthetic. You don't need to rush right out and get an oil change so you'll have "pure" oil.

However, it is not recommended to routinely mix oils because the additives in different products may interact or the oils may become destabilized by the mixture. You may reduce or negate the properties of the additives. You'll lose the benefits of the more expensive synthetic oil. So, adding regular oil to your special synthetic oil will mean you'll need to get your oil changed sooner than you would have otherwise. If you have a high performance engine, it's possible it will be displeased if the (expensive) additives can't work the way they are supposed to. This may not damage your engine, but it won't help its performance.

Quote:
Mixing oils with different additive packages is never recommended. Doing so could compromise the additive performance of both constituents, cause corrosion of component surfaces and lead to increased mechanical wear. Trending of some oil analysis properties also will be compromised.

In a pinch, if the oils are the same viscosity, you may be able to get away with mixing for a short time.

Quote:
In general it is never a good idea to mix two different oils in any application. If this is unavoidable, there are two major concerns, specifically incompatibility between the base oil, and incompatibility between the additives. The overwhelming majority of synthetic oils, particularly crankcase oils are PAO based.

From a base oil standpoint, there are usually no problems with mixing a PAO synthetic and a mineral oil since both are hydrocarbon based and chemically very similar. However, extreme caution should be used if the synthetic oil is non-hydrocarbon based.

As for additive incompatibility, the biggest danger is mixing oils with very different additive packages, particularly mixing those with acidic additives, such as most AW and EP oils, with oils containing alkaline additives commonly used in crankcase oils. In this case, mixing can result in a number of problems including additive drop out, loss of demulsibility, foaming problems and reduced oxidation stability.

The best approach is to select the appropriate lubricant for the application at hand and stick with it! If you are forced to mix oil of different types, it is important that either the lubricant manufacturer is consulted and/or compatibility testing is performed to avoid potential problems.

As an aside, I wouldn't mix Mobil Super 1000 with M1 or GTX with Syntec anyhow, since both conventionals use a sodium additive package whereas their synthetics do not. PP or PU versus PYB is a little different in that regard.

Originally Posted By: Swarmlord

Pretty much summarises thread.

What part about the omitted part of the quote don't YOU understand? If you add Syntec to Dollarama oil, I would hope the freakin' end product would yield better performance. However that doesn't mean that if you mix Syntec with Mobil 1 that it is going to improve the performance. Selective interpretation indeed!!

Your assumption here appears to be that I'm a retard and hadn't considered the potential angles that could be taken with this. I've got news for you, I'm not and I have.

Once again you are deliberately miss-quoting what Castrol said.
They didn't say adding Syntec to Dollarama oil but rather adding Syntec to "premium" conventional oil will improve the performance of that oil.

And BTW I think both yourself and JAG (not so much buster; just joking) are pretty bright guys but as they say in the scientific community, you have a confirmation bias. Meaning you only accept evidence that supports your position which you can't do in science. You must accept all evidence and the overwhelming evidence is that mixing premium oils will to no harm.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...tional_Oil.aspx

Question:
Will Mixing Synthetic with Conventional Oil Cause a Gel to Form?
I mixed Mobil 1 with regular motor oil. My mechanic told me I should not do this because it forms a gel; is this true? I did it on 3 Honda Accords - a 2003 with 40,000 miles, a 1990 with 201,000 miles and a 1992 with 190,000 miles.
-- Jordan Mayer, Cape Coral, FL

Answer:
In general, oils should be compatible with each other. It is not likely that you would form gel by mixing the two oils. However, we would not recommend mixing oils as a general practice because oils are complex mixtures of additives and base oils that can be destabilized. Lastly, why reduce the outstanding performance of Mobil 1 by adding “regular oil”. Is it economics? You would be better to run all Mobil 1 and run it longer than mixing it with “regular oil”.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mixing_Motor_Oil_Viscosity.aspx

Question:
Mixing Motor Oil Viscosities to Achieve 5W-50 Oil
I want to mix Mobil 1 5W-30 with 15W-50 (1:1 ratio) and run it in my 2002 Porsche 996 C2. I have two reasons for wanting to do this. First, I live in a region where freezes are rare and it is very hot 8 months out of the year. Second, 5W-50 (what I want) is difficult to find here, the Mobil 1 5W-30 and 15W-50 are readily available in gallon-sized jugs (sometimes value priced). I want to mix them to get the 5W-50 mix I am looking for. Good idea? Bad idea?
-- Lee Thurman, Weatherford, TX

Answer:
We recommend you use Mobil 1 0W-40 all year. It will give you outstanding protection at low ambient temperatures as well as at high operating temperatures.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/ZDDP_Levels_Classic_Cars.aspx

Question:
Mixing Motor Oil to Reach the Right ZDDP Level for Classic Cars
For an older, flat tappet, performance motor with inherent cam wear issues is there any benefit to mixing high ZDDP Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 0W-30 oil? The 15W-50 creates TOO MUCH oil pressure. It would be nice if you had a product for 'Classic' cars, high ZDDP, 0W-30 and 0W-40. I have used nothing but Mobil 1 for 15+ years.
-- Bill McCauley, Tallmadge, OH

Answer:
Mobil 1 0W-40 already contains a higher level of ZDDP (1000 ppm) that could benefit your flat tappet engine. We also have a Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 (1000 ppm); see our table listing the phosphorous levels for all Mobil 1 synthetic motor oils.

Link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mixing_Motor_Oil_Viscosities.aspx

Question:
Mixing Motor Oil Viscosities to Achieve 0W-40
0W-40 is not available in my area. What other weights can I blend to achieve 0W-40? Example: 1 quart of 0W-30 mixed with 1 quart 10W-40 equals 0W-40?
-- Gracie Dog, Columbus, GA

Answer:
Viscosity grades cannot be obtained as described. Please follow the manufacturer’s recommendation and please use the product as it was manufactured. Our online Product Locator shows there are at least 10 stores in the Columbus, Georgia, area that carry Mobil 1 0W-40.

And there are plenty more.......
35.gif

I happen to agree with Mobil's advise to all those proposed Mobil blends.
As I've always said, there are good blends that will maximize certain attributes of an oil and others that have no particular redeeming features.

As a reminder Mobil is actually okay with the TGMO/M1 0W-40 blend.
For those that don't know, Mobil does not sell their AFE 0W-30 in Canada, so if you want a Mobil made PCMO 0W-30 you'll no choice but to blend your own.
Will that in mind I asked Imperial oil Canada who formulate and blend Mobil and Esso products here what they thought of blending
M1 AFE 0W-20 or TGMO 0W-20 with Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 or M1 0W-40 to make a suitably light light PCMO 0W-30.
They had no reservations at all with the blends although they did add that the resulting MRV value would not necessarily be the average of the two blended oils. Without testing, all you would be able to conclude is that the resulting MRV would be some value between those of the two oils blended which makes total sense.
Of course I have no concern about MRV in my climate, just higher temp' viscosities which are easily calculated and measured.

Quote:
And BTW I think both yourself and JAG (not so much buster; just joking) are pretty bright guys but as they say in the scientific community, you have a confirmation bias.

Well apparently you have proven to be the least bright of all. LMAO

Your arrogance has blinded you from reality and you've ignored science and instead pushed your mixing ideology down everyone's throat. You have ignored basic chemistry and have failed to read technical articles on additives/base oils and instead focused on VI, which no manufacturer stresses as being that important.

I refuse to write a book explaining what I think on a forum, so I keep it short and to the point.

Once again you are deliberately miss-quoting what Castrol said.
They didn't say adding Syntec to Dollarama oil but rather adding Syntec to "premium" conventional oil will improve the performance of that oil.

I'm not deliberately mis-quoting, I just don't necessarily think that statement means what you think it does. How many oils on the PQIA watch list are marketed as "Premium" conventional oils? If the Dollarama special is API certified, does that make it "premium"? LOL!!!

Quote:
And BTW I think both yourself and JAG (not so much buster; just joking) are pretty bright guys but as they say in the scientific community, you have a confirmation bias. Meaning you only accept evidence that supports your position which you can't do in science. You must accept all evidence and the overwhelming evidence is that mixing premium oils will to no harm.

OK, but this door swings both ways. We are essentially accusing you of doing the exact same thing
wink.gif
And our argument isn't that you'll necessarily cause harm, but simply that the end product of mixing may not perform as well in all areas as the products by themselves, regardless of the viscosity index of the final product. That's basically all we've been trying to get you to acknowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back