Castrol Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some Castrol Max Pro Plus oil filters at Kmart for $1.25. Anyone know the particulars on these? I saw nothing on Castrol's web site. Thanks in advance from a newbe.

Doug

The K-mart in Columbus MS stopped carrying the Black or partially synthetic media castrol filter.

Are you saying that the white or low end castrol filter is made by Fram? I would say no. It looks much different in construction and has a spring in it. My car also starts better when its 0F in Chicago with the Castrol (but this was a couple of years ago). The Fram lets my car make a tapping or knocking noise for several minutes after startup.

You can always spot a Fram filter just by looking inside the holes and seeing the cardboard. Sometimes they use black cardboard to try and disguise it too.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Supposedly these are pretty decent filters, they use a partially synthetic media. Here is a page on oil filters that talks more about them:

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

Speaking of filters, Patman, Did you see what they had to say about the Pure One? They didn't like it very much. Does the Pure One have any synthetic material at all?

If not, I'm inclined to prefer one with some synthetic material. Flow is supposed to be better.

The cheaper and more expensive Castrol filters at K-Mart are both made by Wix/Dana. The cheaper one is, I believe, identical to the yellow Penske's except for the paint & box. The more expensive one is probably much closer in specs to a full fledged Wix, & costs the same in my area as a Wix($5). If I found either one at $1.25 to fit my car, I'd buy a bunch of 'em. Terry claims oil filters have much less effect on engine wear than air filters, & he oughtta know.

I found Penskes for $1.77 a couple of months ago, only bought two, have since regretted it. Each K-Mart store in NE Texas these days seems to be a law unto itself-can't count on any two doing the same thing.

I'm not that big of a PureONE fan myself. I've used it in the past on the Honda, but refuse to put one on my Firebird. I think it's media is packed too tightly in order to get those high efficiency numbers, and it'll restrict oil flow, or go into bypass a lot. I believe it uses a semi synthetic media, but if I want a filter that filters that fine, I'd feel more comfortable with one that uses a fully synthetic media.

"Are you saying that the white or low end castrol filter is made by Fram?"

They're all Wix. What I meant was that Fram seems to be getting more and more shelf space. At Wal-Mart too, sadly.
mad.gif

Good price for these Wix filters. I think the high end Castrol filters are better than low end or Penske filters. The Penske and the low end Castrols may or may not be identical. If you look at the K-Mart application book they sure look the same. For $1.25, I'd be stocking up. Is K-Mart dropping all Wix filters and going strictly to Fram? Sad if they are.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back