Castrol Edge 10W-30 in Australia

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
because 'slow depletion detergent' is code for 'garbage additive'...

What is the source of this info?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
BD:However these fresh oil values compared to other oils rarely mean much in real world.
SR5: Sorry, in what respect? Not trying to be rude, I just don't under stand the particular point you are trying to make.

Likely because depletion rates vary greatly from one oil/add pack to another. You can have oil A with starting TBN of 10, and oil B with starting TBN of 9, and after 10K miles, oil A could be at 2, and oil B could be at 3.

OK thanks, that makes sense.

However because they are both Castrol Edge products, I would have assumed that they were roughly comparable. Atleast more so than a brand A PCMO and a brand B HDEO.

Sorry QP, thinking on it a bit more, I get your point.

In my head I was comparing the TBN of something like Kendall or Super Tech that tend to have a TBN of 8 to the Castrol, all of which tend to have a higher TBN (10 -11).

Yes your point is taken. Different add packs behave differently.

TBN is no good staying at 10 if the TAN also ends up at 10.

For me TBN depletion showing that base is doing its job and neutralising acid. A TBN of 0 with a TAN of 3 is much better than an oil with TBN of 5 with TAN of 6.

Sorry your right about the A5/B5 bit, 11.2 is a bit over-engineered for the spec. Very solid DI pack this one.

BD:Its going to be above 10TBN for the ACEA A3/B4 claims and will need a lowish HTHS for the GF5 claim.
SR5: We are talking about the 10W-30 right? It's A5/B5 and isn't that a TBN of 8 ? You can't have an A3/B4 & ILSAC in one oil surely ?

Are you talking about both oils in one sentence, without naming the oils or using a comma?

Maybe you are saying, the 5W-30 has a high TBN above 10 because it's A3/B4, and the 10W-30 has a low HTHS because it's an ILSAC oil.

If so, then yes I agree, but respectfully request the use of more nouns.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

Sorry your right about the A5/B5 bit, 11.2 is a bit over-engineered for the spec. Very solid DI pack this one.

Don't apologize .... I like it......I like it a lot
smile.gif

I have updated to hopefully correct my silly mistake where I was thinking about the DI platform

BD:Its going to be above 8TBN for the ACEA A3/B4 A5/B5 claims, however the same pack may also be in other A3/B4 oils. It will need a lowish HTHS for the GF5 claim.
SR5: We are talking about the 10W-30 right? It's A5/B5 and isn't that a TBN of 8 ? You can't have an A3/B4 & ILSAC in one oil surely ?

Are you talking about both oils in one sentence, without naming the oils or using a comma?

Maybe you are saying, the 5W-30 has a high TBN above 10 because it's A3/B4, and the 10W-30 has a low HTHS because it's an ILSAC oil.

If so, then yes I agree, but respectfully request the use of more nouns.

Last edited:
So we can all agree, the 10W-30 has low VM and therefore low shear, low noack and keeps things nice and clean. Plus a massive TBN of 11.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Yeah its a very nice oil really. TBN is ~8

I assume you mean Noack ~ 8%

Which is what I would expect.

I'm thinking of trying some in my Opel AH Astra (1.8L) hatch. Do you think it would be OK? The owners manual says a 10W-30 A3/B3 oil, which seems like a lot (of HTHS) for a 4-cylinder family car.

Originally Posted By: Garak

SR5: Maybe the new synthetic 10w-30 in Australia is all the synthetic 10w-30 that got yanked from the Canadian Tire shelves here! Actually, Castrol 10w-30 SN/GF-5 was one of the last synthetic 10w-30 holdouts, and it was on the clearance shelves at one location.

I recon it will be close to what you guys have.

What would the price in Canada be for 5L ?

Unfortunately I feel we both have similar price structures. Which is over priced compared to our friends in the USA.

I'm thinking of trying some in my Opel AH Astra (1.8L) hatch. Do you think it would be OK? The owners manual says a 10W-30 A3/B3 oil, which seems like a lot (of HTHS) for a 4-cylinder family car.

Its typical for most Euro cars 10+ years old, especially out of Germany. A5/B5 would likely be fine but with A3/B4 so common place, I'd just stick with it.

Castrol do have Magnatec 5w30 A5 but only in 20L drums so it's not widely stocked.

Originally Posted By: supercity

Its typical for most Euro cars 10+ years old, especially out of Germany. A5/B5 would likely be fine but with A3/B4 so common place, I'd just stick with it.

Thanks SuperCity,
Welcome to the Aussie Edge 10W-30 party, it all started when you spotted the new PDS a few months ago.

Yeah I think A5 oil should be fine in a 92kW Astra, but I just wanted the views of a few others.

It is easy enough to find A3/B3/B4 oil, and I have ample in my oil stash, but I'm keen to try this new 10W-30 oil.

The oil I'm running now (40 weight A3/B4, also allowed by the OM) just seems a bit heavy for my family duties. Not racing the car or anything like that.

I'll probably run my Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 first anyway. I need to wait for the 10W-30 to appear in the shops first, then wait for a special to happen to get it at a good price.

The clearance stuff, and a decent sale price, is around $30 to $35 a jug. Regular Canadian Tire pricing is about $50 a jug, which is clearly way too much, given that Delvac 1 from the distributor is like half that.

Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada assume, and correctly for the most part, that no one would consider buying oil from anyone except them.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The clearance stuff, and a decent sale price, is around $30 to $35 a jug. Regular Canadian Tire pricing is about $50 a jug, which is clearly way too much, given that Delvac 1 from the distributor is like half that.

Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada assume, and correctly for the most part, that no one would consider buying oil from anyone except them.

It will be $60 here for 5L, regular price. But a few times a year you should be able to find it reduced by 30 or 40 %, that's that's the time to buy it.

So we can all agree, the 10W-30 has low VM and therefore low shear, low noack and keeps things nice and clean. Plus a massive TBN of 11.

Is this formulation the same as the US version? Thanks

Originally Posted By: buster

Is this formulation the same as the US version? Thanks

Hi Buster,

I don't know for sure, but I suspect not.
Looking at the US and Oz PDS spec sheets, they appear to be slightly different products.

US KV 40C = 71.5
Oz KV 40C = 66.2
US KV100 = 11.3
Oz KV100 = 10.47

The US spec oils gives a HTHS of 3.2 and a Noack of 8.5%. These are pretty much the same as the Oz oil.

So if it's not the same, I would suspect the two Edge products would be quite close.

Not sure about the TBN, 11 for the Oz oil is pretty high. Most US 10W-30's I have seen have a TBN of about 8.

Both Edge 10W-30 have a HTHS of 3.2, which is nice.

Regular M1 10W-30 is 3.0
Sinclair Syn 10W-30 is 3.04
Kendall GT-1 Syn 10W-30 is 3.1
M1 EP 10W-30 is 3.1

But if you are after a very high HTHS 10W-30, use the M1 HM oil as it's 3.5

I think most full synthetic 10W-30 oils share similar advantages of low shear and low Noack.

Back