Castrol EDGE 0w20 - 4,892mi - 2013 Mazda CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just purchased a 2015 Mazda CX-5 grand touring with the 2.5 engine. I'm hoping it is easy on oil because she may not change it as often as I would. LOL...

Originally Posted By: Eddie
badtic: where can I review your UOAs on mazda SkyActive engines? Thanks. Ed

This forum.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: wemay

Can you present the testing information for this school of thought? I am very interested in reading this since it would be simple for all mfrs to just recommend Premium fuels as a solution.

If dilution troubles the OP, the only 'fix' I currently know of and that has been discussed in many Lubrizol papers is shortened oci after break-in period.

Yes, just look at my UOAs. Not even a hint of fuel dilution.

Thanks, good place to look.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Where can I buy Wear Check analysis kits?
I ordered my from this guy. Contact info below. Send him and email. You have a few options: The MOB 1 analysis is the basic analysis and does not include a TAN value.
The MOB 2 analysis will include the extra tests of a TAN number for gas engines or Transmission sample…., they will switch from a TAN value to a TBN number for Diesel engine oil samples. They can also provide a custom test kit of MOB 2 TAN/ TBN, this analysis will give you both the Acid number and Base number for optimal drain intervals. Some will ask for both when they are only sampling only one time for a snap shot of the lubricant at that moment, but they can monitor a trend analysis with continued sampling with just the Acid number for non-diesel engine components or the Base number for Diesel engine oil samples.

Tim Vann
WearCheck USA
Senior Sales Representative
Technical Support
Shipping & Receiving Manager
1-800-237-1369
Office 919-379-4102
Direct 919-379-4029
Fax 919-379-4050
Cell 919-524-4608
[email protected]

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Read Shannow's references above.

Related to this thread, a comment about what Mazda does in their own Mazda Genuine Motor Oil, MGMO 0w-20, and why all Mazda owners might want to use it.

"The inclusion of lubricant oil lowers the auto-ignition temperature of the oil-fuel mixed droplet [Amann, et al., SAE 2012-01-1140]"

"Mechanism consistent with lubricant sensitivity forming deposits on top cylinder walls (basestock quality, additives)."

Another reason to use synthetic oil!!! :
--- Using Group III or PAO basestocks in oil reduced low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) frequency*

---- More moly in the oil decreased LSPI frequency* (Might be why Mazda, big on high compression SkyActiv engines, puts a lot of moly in their own oil.

*Takueuchi et al. [SAE 2012-01-1615]

The comment about higher levels of Ca causing LSPI was also interesting. See LSPI Phenomenon "Calcium showed the most dominating effects on LSPI frequency as increased calcium detergent raised LSPI frequency, Hirano said. In fact, the impact was so strong that raising the percentage of Ca from 0.1 to 0.2% increased LSPI frequency by a factor of three"

There's a paper out there that concludes that low volatility and high molecular weight lubricants are the leading cause of lubricant related deposits in GDI.

Stepien, Z. (2014). Intake valve and combustion chamber deposits formation-the engine and fuel related factors that impacts their growth. NAFTA-GAZ, ROK LXX(Nr 4/2014), 241.

Quite contrary to what is discussed on this site.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
There's a paper out there that concludes that low volatility and high molecular weight lubricants are the leading cause of lubricant related deposits in GDI.

Stepien, Z. (2014). Intake valve and combustion chamber deposits formation-the engine and fuel related factors that impacts their growth. NAFTA-GAZ, ROK LXX(Nr 4/2014), 241.

Quite contrary to what is discussed on this site.

I will look for it, thanks.

Last edited:
so what's the best 0w20 oil for the 2.5L skyactiv engine? My 2014 mazda 3 2.5L skyactiv is due for an oil change on tuesday.. will be using mgmo 0w20 with moly + rp oil filter ..thinking of trying RP 0w20 on the next oil change..
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mauric3
so what's the best 0w20 oil for the 2.5L skyactiv engine? My 2014 mazda 3 2.5L skyactiv is due for an oil change on tuesday.. will be using mgmo 0w20 with moly + rp oil filter ..thinking of trying RP 0w20 on the next oil change..
smile.gif

Take it to Mazda and use their oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back