Caster adjustment 1967 Ford F-250 2wd??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin I beam front suspension on my truck. All symptoms point to lack of caster. Does anyone have experience adjusting caster on these trucks? I know camber can be adjusted by bending the beams, but I'm wondering about caster. Truck is 2wd. I did a lot of searching but haven't found any real answers.

Thanks

All symptoms? Check the "wishbone drag link (?)" bushings at the frame. Those move back it could pull caster negative. Steering not returning? Make sure all moving joints appear well "greased".

Sorry I am not a twin I-beam expert. In fact I never worked on one.

You will almost certainly need to replace the radius rod bushings. They will usually look ok until you get the radius rods off, and then you can see how bad they really are. Get the polyurethane bushings if you can.

Aside from replacing all bushings there is a camber bolt and washer set avail.
I'm not sure if it's an eccentric bolt or a regular bolt with an eccentric washer or bushing.
The top radius arm-to-axle bolt is the location.

Or it may be the top AND bottom bolts, it's been awhile.

Do you have any idea where the eccentrics are available? I should start by replacing the bushings but they look good and I don't see any movement at them. I haven't greased the front end in about a year or so. Might need to get under there and do it again. Good ideas.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Do you have any idea where the eccentrics are available? I should start by replacing the bushings but they look good and I don't see any movement at them. I haven't greased the front end in about a year or so. Might need to get under there and do it again. Good ideas.

I can get those eccentrics at NAPA.

You will want to know what offset your factory suspension has. That is the first step in determining what type of eccentric you need. Even if your factory units can't be adjusted, they still may have some caster and/or camber correction in them.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Cool! I'm not sure how to measure the offset but are they offset at the radius arm to I beam side or the radius arm to frame bracket?

The offset is marked on the OEM eccentric that holds the upper ball joint. Usually there are numbers on it telling you how much caster and/or camber it changes.

Sometimes there is a non adjustable sleeve put in that is marked with how much camber and caster correction it has. Other times, it is unmarked, and it makes zero change to camber and caster. If you are lucky enough to have one with no marking, selecting the new sleeve will be even easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back