Car Talk Guys Retiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will miss them. Have thought about calling in with a bogus question. I suspect many have done so.
smile.gif

Man I've listened to Car Talk for at least 20 years. They were the first auto-repair related show I'd ever seen or heard of. It had just dawned on me this winter that I could listen to their podcasts while I was out running. Another car-repair related podcast I'm enjoying is The AGCO Automotive podcast. It's a shop owner and his tech in Baton Rouge. Not a funny ha-ha show like Car Talk. These guys seem (to me, at least) to have a pretty good knowledge of every car you can think of...

http://www.agcoauto.com

The Car Talk guys were a lot older than I thought. One is 63 and the other 74.

They've been on NPR for 25 years, and they were on for years as a local show before that.

Now that Pep Boys is going under Manny, Moe, and Jack ,will have a career move lol

I actually called with a legit question, but I didn't make the cut to get on the show for some reason.

Truth be told, I think they've been phoning-in the show for a while. Weren't we recently discussing that it seemed like the shows had a lot of filler from a decade ago, lots of calls on mid-late 90's cars?

Originally Posted By: opus1
I actually called with a legit question, but I didn't make the cut to get on the show for some reason.

Truth be told, I think they've been phoning-in the show for a while. Weren't we recently discussing that it seemed like the shows had a lot of filler from a decade ago, lots of calls on mid-late 90's cars?

They get tons of calls, I'm sure. There's no way they could use them all.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the brothers has been having health issues, being so aged. That's probably why there's been more filler recently.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
....They get tons of calls, I'm sure. There's no way they could use them all...
Oh, I realize that. I was hoping my problem was off-the-wall enough that I could have made the cut. I think it would have been a fun call.

Hacks. Occasionally, I used to read their pieces in the newspaper until they told a guy to test his clutch for slippage by putting the front bumper of his car against a big tree and popping the clutch.

Honestly, I know of their "humor", but the piece as written didn't have any obvious "just kidding" connotation in the text.

I listened once...I found them to be, frankly, insulting, condescending, and having a very blatant political agenda they made absolutely no attempt to hide.

I'd sooner take a vehicle to Pep Boys than to their shop for service.

IMO, they were/are a lot of fun. Never considered the advice seriously. As I doubt if the typical NPR audience has much hands on experience with anything mechanical, their basic advice was helpful to some. I enjoyed listing while I puttered around my garage. I will miss them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
These guys rarely gave out any useful info, they were 'entertaining' if you liked their brand of schtick.

No one will miss them.

Speak for yourself! Besides, I would bet few beers that your are NOT an NPR listener :)

Last edited:
I listen to anything. Well rounded, indeed!

But if you mean do I support NPR getting public money while obviously pursuing a leftist agenda...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back