Car repair has become module sensor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deoxy4
Consumer Reports experience with Toyota's TPMS. Written back in 2013. I don't know how prevalent the problem is or if it has been corrected.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/...stems/index.htm

As long as you don't live in a state that mandates TPMS, and if you do, as long as you can get you vehicle inspected when you have summer tires on... just ignore the light. After owning a VW I got good at ignoring trouble lights.
wink.gif

Next set of tires I get I plan to pull sensors, install into a PVC pipe, pressurize and leave under a seat or trunk. I like TPMS and would spend the money, if Toyota had bothered with a dashboard readout of each tire pressure. Since it's just good/bad... it's worthless to me.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Weekly rant against technology in cars - check.

I am going to go out on a limb here. You one of those guys that has parking assist on your cars because you can't parallel park?

Let me guess. You are one of the trolls that pop up as newbies on this site?

No Nate1979. When did you register, 2013? Just didn't feel your comment added anything informative. You could have just moved on without comment to something you found interesting.

My post was very clear. This is discussed weekly about claiming about technology in cara, lamenting about the death of manual transmissions, crying that we have to have air bags, etc. It sounds like a bunch of old foggies dreaming about the cars with no tech blah blah blah. We get it. But 99% of consumers disagree so get used to it. As a society we move forward, not backwards. There is someone in our neighborhood driving one of those old trucks whose exhaust stinks like unburned fuel. Thank God for new tech so I don't have to drive behind heaps like that every day.

The title of my post was also very clear and I pass by a lot of topics that I disagree or have no interest in without posting a comment. I admit I am an old foggy.

I posted that there have been advancement in technology that are valuable-fuel injection, pollution control technology, performance technology, ABS technology, TCS technology etc. I wouldn't step back in time for a minute.

The fringe area where we don't agree is the technology I would consider technology for technology sake. I don't care to spend a dime for technology to monitor my air pressure. I don't want navigation tied into the car. I don't want keyless entry. I don't want fancy suspensions requiring costly electronic components. I don't want power seats or motors with sensors to close my trunk. I don't want Onstar or the ability to start my air conditioning from a landing plane from my Ipad. If you want that technology that's great.

I have a Honda and two months ago I had the air bags replaced but had to wait for over 8 months to get the bag replaced. Worthwhile technology? Yes! But let's get it right. I don't want technology to decapitate me.

I remember lots of "technological" advancement mostly by GM back in the 80's. Variable 4-6-8 cylinder power plants and diesel engines that were real bombs.

My neighbor has a Cadillac. Beautiful car. Top notch technology. Powerful engine out of a small engine with good fuel economy. Burns oil like crazy. They claimed its was normal consumption. Burns a quart every 500 miles now. They did not do a thing for him. Dealers magic hot solvent piston-ring soak - $1600. Same oil consumption. In addition, he has spent thousand of dollars on various electronic repairs. When I follow him down the street in traffic I think the same as you do. What a technological masterpiece-a quart of oil every 500 miles!

I agree lets move forward...just not blindly.

Unfortunately the 98% of the buying public don't notice they have a flat tire until it explodes while they are running down the highway. Then they freak out, jam on the brakes, and roll their SUV.
I notice if I have a overly low tire before I get out of the neighborhood. Its happened before. Im so aware of how the car feels and acts that it was just obvious. I know its the same for a lot (if not most) people on this site.
So, now we have to have TPMS.
I agree on not having navigation tied into the car...it inevitably falls out of date and updates stop being published.
I usually just use my phone anyways and if I was doing a ton of driving, I would by a dedicated aftermarket unit.
Keyless entry I have to have. I added it to my CVPI via a aftermarket setup because the car didnt have it.
I also added a auto-dimming mirror. Im so used to it now, when I bought it I found myself flipping between night and day mode constantly at night because in night mode I just couldnt see behind me at all unless someone is behind me. Most of the reflection was of my back seat.
If it wasn't such a wiring mess, I would convert it to Automatic Temperature Control too instead of the manual controls. Always fiddling with the manual controls, never can get it just right to maintain the temperature I want. With the automatic, set it and forget it. Occasionally Ill bump it a few degrees up or down, but no where near the manual controls where Ill have to mess with it a dozen times in a 3 hour trip.

Colt I certainly don't criticize your desire to set up your car the way you desire. If you can get them provided in a package by a dealer or find a more customized more cost effective approach that's great.

I guess I have sort of minimalistic approach. I will take your input about tire explosions and TPMS into consideration.

I run dedicated snow tires in the winter mounted on steel rims and a different setup for the rest of the year. I do expect it to be mandatory in Massachusetts in the future. It does turn out to be a costly endeavor if you change over winter tires and sensors are become unusable in the exchange or you opt for 2 sets of seasonal wheels with sensors. Then you double the cost for two vehicles and consideration that batteries last for 4-5 years?

I do feel your pain about the extra fluff you have to order on vehicles.
Im lusting right now for a Ford Explorer with the Ecoboost V6. But, to get it, you have to buy the Explorer Sport, which comes with Everything Under the Sun. Navigation, Heated Seats, you know the works. So its $50k+.
I talked to someone at a dealer about ordering a Police version of the Explorer with the Ecoboost. So, pretty basic, cloth seats, basic radio (which is still pretty functional compared to even 'optional' radios in cars 10 years ago). $36k with all my options.
I can see myself driving police vehicles for basically as long as I can. All the performance I want, in a basic package.

I also run two sets of tires, so I know what you are talking about with having to have two sets of sensors, or risk damaging the sensors with every swap on one set of wheels. Its something Ill have to look at.

Originally Posted By: supton
Consumer Reports experience with Toyota's TPMS. Written back in 2013. I don't know how prevalent the problem is or if it has been corrected.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/...stems/index.htm

As long as you don't live in a state that mandates TPMS, and if you do, as long as you can get you vehicle inspected when you have summer tires on... just ignore the light. After owning a VW I got good at ignoring trouble lights.
wink.gif

Next set of tires I get I plan to pull sensors, install into a PVC pipe, pressurize and leave under a seat or trunk. I like TPMS and would spend the money, if Toyota had bothered with a dashboard readout of each tire pressure. Since it's just good/bad... it's worthless to me.

American ingenuity at it's best. The birth of a black market cottage industry. Late, late night TV commercials. Scheduled between Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman and the Ronco Knives ...."Outlaws... if you call in now, you get two sets...that's right two sets...of Evil Knievel Outlaw Tire Pressure Sending Sensors."

Four sensors are mounted in a plastic likeness of Evil Knievel on his rocket bike. Each unit shares a single rechargeable power source power with USB cable included. Suction cup attachment for mounting on your dash.

"Live free...or die"-NH

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I like the sensors and high-tech stuff. The only sensors I've ever had to change were O2 sensors. I'd much rather have my tire pressure on my dashboard in my new Camry than have to check it manually in my older cars. Progress marches on.

I might agree...if and only if the TMPS system on all cars had a lifetime, unlimited-mileage warranty on ALL parts! No, I will pass on buying $100+ sensors every few years!

I just don't think there is much of a demand for stripped down low technology vehicles. No doubt, you'd also want a manual tranny.

Maybe my Rav's TPMS works differently than a new one but we've never needed to do any work on it.

Weekly rant against technology in cars - check.

I am going to go out on a limb here. You one of those guys that has parking assist on your cars because you can't parallel park?

Let me guess. You are one of the trolls that pop up as newbies on this site?

Yeah, he's such a "newby" that he registered here nine years before you did!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I also run two sets of tires, so I know what you are talking about with having to have two sets of sensors, or risk damaging the sensors with every swap on one set of wheels. Its something Ill have to look at.

Or you guys could do some research, and buy a vehicle that doesn't use TPMS.

Mazda, for instance, doesn't use sensors in the wheels.
They use the already existing ABS sensors, to detect when there is a low tire situation.

That means I get to use two different sets of wheels and tires for the different seasons, and I don't have to worry about a tire shop ruining parts, or batteries going dead after 7 years. Nor do I have to go through a special procedure when I swap tire sets.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Or you guys could do some research, and buy a vehicle that doesn't use TPMS.

Mazda, for instance, doesn't use sensors in the wheels.
They use the already existing ABS sensors, to detect when there is a low tire situation.

That means I get to use two different sets of wheels and tires for the different seasons, and I don't have to worry about a tire shop ruining parts, or batteries going dead after 7 years. Nor do I have to go through a special procedure when I swap tire sets.

BC.

Sounds like a better idea in theory. They have had a recall with the system on 100,000 cars in 2014 and 2015.

Good advise. I will have to educate myself as to what systems are out there and what out of pocket costs might be when not covered by the manufacturer.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2014/11/25/mazda-recall-tire-pressure-monitor/70098376/

While there is a lot of module and sensor replacement now-a-days, it is amazing how many are unnecessarily replaced. A lot of times it is a wiring issue or a software update that actually fixes a problem.

I have lost count of how many times a vehicle comes in and either the owner did a DIY diag or an independent shop attempted repair and it shows up at the dealer to be fixed. That being said even we will punt a competitive make car to the respective dealer because we don't want to deal with it.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Quote:
Cadillac with useless motors, sensors and controls to provide the perceived luxury of having the trunk close without slamming.

They have used this closing system since the mid 1970's.

It says prior to 2000, but I would love to know when it was written.

My CTS-V doesn't have it. Neither did the 2015 CTS I had this summer for a loaner during a recall. OP should take a baby aspirin before he experiences their CUE system.

Don't doubt that. Friend had a fuel delivery problem which he figured was a bad fuel pump. It was cheap so he replaced it and it didn't fix his problem. He thought the replacement fuel pump may be bad or he might need a ECU. Turns out he drives around all the time with a 1/4 full tank or less. The original fuel pump was OK but he overheated the wiring to the pump.

Heard a commentary about how manufacturers have "economized" wiring groups for cost savings and weight reduction and optical systems are well into development. That's when everything goes to the dealer for diagnosis and repair. But that's technological progress, I guess.

Last edited:
Still have to do mechanical things like smoke tests and coolant pressure tests to diagnose some systems or issues. Or be observant. Too many folks think that the computer will tell all.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
While there is a lot of module and sensor replacement now-a-days, it is amazing how many are unnecessarily replaced. A lot of times it is a wiring issue or a software update that actually fixes a problem.

I have lost count of how many times a vehicle comes in and either the owner did a DIY diag or an independent shop attempted repair and it shows up at the dealer to be fixed. That being said even we will punt a competitive make car to the respective dealer because we don't want to deal with it.

Thats why I noted at the beginning of the thread that many are replaced unnecessarily. I know a lot of vehicles that have had everything under the sun replaced in a shotgun effort to fix a issue rather than trying to diagnose properly.

Thats why I noted at the beginning of the thread that many are replaced unnecessarily. I know a lot of vehicles that have had everything under the sun replaced in a shotgun effort to fix a issue rather than trying to diagnose properly.

Every time that happens, the customers always make a scene when we charge them. Usually they say "but I have already paid $XX to XXX to have this fixed and now you are charging me?" Not our fault they took the car to someone that pulled a shotgun diag. Worst part is when I was the one to sell parts wholesale to the shop in question. I have been asked before why I sold whatever part to a shop when I knew it would not fix their problem and I say "part people don't diag, service people don't sell parts or set prices."

Car repair is a mess.

Too many dealerships write up unnecessary work to meet quota-$xxx per face.

Too many dishonest or incompetent independent mechanics.

Not enough good independent mechanics.

If you are lucky enough to find a good independent mechanic he doesn't get enough familiarity with vehicles to find problems that are tough to diagnose.

So the average Joe goes to Autozone get's an error code and wings it.

Car repair is a mess.

Too many dealerships write up unnecessary work to meet quota-$xxx per face.

Too many dishonest or incompetent independent mechanics.

Not enough good independent mechanics.

If you are lucky enough to find a good independent mechanic he doesn't get enough familiarity with vehicles to find problems that are tough to diagnose.

So the average Joe goes to Autozone get's an error code and wings it.

Aren't we a ball of positive energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back