car i am buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Quote:

And as it looks my payment will stay almost the same which is great news.

Sigh...

I typically try to stay out of the financial part of these transactions but I am curious, did you come up with some cash or did they extend the loan term out a year or two?

Its a five year loan. Which is what i had before so basically I paid a year on the focus so between the 2 cars I'll have a car payment for a total of 6 years but the darts only a 5 year loan. It really seems to be working out very well.

Quote:

Sigh...

I typically try to stay out of the financial part of these transactions but I am curious, did you come up with some cash or did they extend the loan term out a year or two?

Screw that! I wasn't into the forums when I made my bad choice. I really think that if I was and enough people told me to stick with one of my previous cars and why I would have been just as happy, and also had more spending money as a newly-graduated young man.

I know for a fact that the best lessons are those personally learned, but in this instance it behooves as many of us as possible to post bluntly. If he doesn't listen, then I won't think less of him and I hope he won't hold my posts against me. I truly have his best intentions in mind.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Quote:

Sigh...

Screw that! I wasn't into the forums when I made my bad choice. I really think that if I was and enough people told me to stick with one of my previous cars and why I would have been just as happy, and also had more spending money as a newly-graduated young man.

I know for a fact that the best lessons are those personally learned, but in this instance it behooves as many of us as possible to post bluntly. If he doesn't listen, then I won't think less of him and I hope he won't hold my posts against me. I truly have his best intentions in mind.

What exactly are we screwing? If the payment is about the same and my total amount of debt is similar and i am happy whats the big deal? That's a serious question? Sure taking on 5000 or more in debt is dumb but if i can do the deal and only lose say 500 bucks whats the issue?

Originally Posted By: ram_man

What exactly are we screwing? If the payment is about the same and my total amount of debt is similar and i am happy whats the big deal? That's a serious question? Sure taking on 5000 or more in debt is dumb but if i can do the deal and only lose say 500 bucks whats the issue?

You can't possibly be losing 500 bucks unless the Dart is significantly cheaper (and by significantly cheaper I mean thousands of dollars less than the Focus was) and they are giving you close to what you paid for the Focus on trade, which I'm sure they aren't.

Ultimately, you'll lose what you've paid against the Focus, which gets wrapped into the extra year that's tagged on with the Dart, so whatever that was, that's your loss.

It's like you leased the Focus basically IMHO.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ram_man

You can't possibly be losing 500 bucks unless the Dart is significantly cheaper (and by significantly cheaper I mean thousands of dollars less than the Focus was) and they are giving you close to what you paid for the Focus on trade, which I'm sure they aren't.

Ultimately, you'll lose what you've paid against the Focus, which gets wrapped into the extra year that's tagged on with the Dart, so whatever that was, that's your loss.

It's like you leased the Focus basically IMHO.

Basically your right about the leasing thing. At most im going to lose 1500 with all the rebates and discounts i get. I also get a discount for a family member working for a company that gets a big discount off of dodge and gm. I didnt know that originally but yea that really helped to.

As long as YOU are happy who cares what anyone else thinks. I always wonder why people ask other people's opinion on things when it really doesn't matter. You are the one shelling out the payment. I happen to dislike those little cars. I'd never buy one. Opinions are like _______ everybody has one.

Have you test driven this vehicle on a dark road at night? I had a dart rental not long ago, and found it to be a great car, quiet, comfortable, efficient, but the headlights were horrid.

Sorry, I doubt you'll be adding a touchscreen stereo (at least not a well integrated oem one), or a 1.4 engine in an econobox. It's just folly economically and from a time commitment basis.

But if you want to forego either based upon reliability, I'd say you're making a smart move.

If you're financing, you can't afford the car, so the last thing you want to do is make it less affordable with "upgrades". Unless you're upgrading headlights..

Sounds like you're making lemonade out of lemons as best as you can. Something about the deal sounds too good to be true, but assuming it's real and works out, it should take some concerns off your head, unless this one has issues too...

Good luck!

I don't understand why everyone is talking down to you about the poor financial decision you've made to do this. It isn't their money, it's yours. You're young, I believe in the past you've said your 20s? It's not like you're making a financial mistake at 50, if this were a mistake its while you're young, who cares. We all have to learn somehow.

You'd be in a lot worse financial shape once that Focus was out of warranty.

congrats! I know that the Focus was giving you fits. so, now to the important part..... what oil and filter you gonna use?

I am glad for you and looking forward to your continued presence on this forum. I am certain BITOG will not be disappointed.

Some of the participants here actually think that they exert real influence over your decision making by providing valuable suggestions which are based upon hard and true real life experience but they know nothing! You are the best person to evaluate your own life situation.

As usual, my advise is always, "Go for it!"

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
congrats! I know that the Focus was giving you fits. so, now to the important part..... what oil and filter you gonna use?

I actually asked my self that earlier and am not sure yet. Lol they give me free oil changes for 2 years but i don't know that ill use it. Maybe pennzoil platinum 0w20 maybe just pyb and probably a mopar filter but i am not for certain yet

The last thing I am going to say about the money end. Read what the f&i guy ask you to sign. Every word. Then read it again, do not let him rush it, he can go get a biscuit if he doesn't want to wait.

I would think fiat would have small turbo motors pretty well figured out.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't understand why everyone is talking down to you about the poor financial decision you've made to do this. It isn't their money, it's yours.

The thing is, he doesn't have the money. If he did, he wouldn't be up side down on his Focus, and would be able to part with it without having to get himself into another financing arrangement that now has pushed out his repayment schedule even longer into the future.

Quote:

You're young, I believe in the past you've said your 20s? It's not like you're making a financial mistake at 50, if this were a mistake its while you're young, who cares. We all have to learn somehow.

Let's hope the OP is learning because it's not the first time he's done it. He jumped on the new car bandwagon with the Focus, and after a year of making payments, he was still significantly under water. So what did he do? He went ahead and traded it in for another new car. If this is any indication of his future, he'll be making car payments for the rest of his life. Alas, that is the American way and he certainly has the right to do it.
smile.gif

Regardless, ram_man, I sincerely wish you luck with the Dart and hope you don't have issues with it like you did with the Focus. I know it sucks to deal with problems on a new car, so I do understand you wanting to ditch it. I wasted money in somewhat similar circumstances when I was in my 20s, too. I was never under water on any of them, but it was money wasted none the less.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
As long as YOU are happy who cares what anyone else thinks. I always wonder why people ask other people's opinion on things when it really doesn't matter. You are the one shelling out the payment. . . .

And as he put it, life's too short to drive a car you don't like, or words to that effect. Quite possibly I should have kept the '97 C-Class, which was paid off, and had its transmission rebuilt -- but I'm glad I jumped ship to the Park Avenue. Maybe I should have done the same with the Park Avenue -- but I like the Regal as much in a different way.

And just because he's financing doesn't mean, in and of itself, that he "can't afford" the car. I've almost always financed my cars, put down a big down payment, and paid them off early. "Can't afford" would be the sort of scenario where you literally can't make the payment and still meet all your other obligations. If a car payment means you can't make your rent or house note, or you have to eat cat food, THEN it's a "can't afford." Only Ram_Man can answer that.

Ram_Man, enjoy the car; I hope it's fun and reliable. I've seen some Darts around town here, and they look like fun.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't understand why everyone is talking down to you about the poor financial decision you've made to do this. It isn't their money, it's yours.

The thing is, he doesn't have the money. If he did, he wouldn't be up side down on his Focus, and would be able to part with it without having to get himself into another financing arrangement that now has pushed out his repayment schedule even longer into the future.

Quote:

You're young, I believe in the past you've said your 20s? It's not like you're making a financial mistake at 50, if this were a mistake its while you're young, who cares. We all have to learn somehow.

Let's hope the OP is learning because it's not the first time he's done it. He jumped on the new car bandwagon with the Focus, and after a year of making payments, he was still significantly under water. So what did he do? He went ahead and traded it in for another new car. If this is any indication of his future, he'll be making car payments for the rest of his life. Alas, that is the American way and he certainly has the right to do it.
smile.gif

Regardless, ram_man, I sincerely wish you luck with the Dart and hope you don't have issues with it like you did with the Focus. I know it sucks to deal with problems on a new car, so I do understand you wanting to ditch it. I wasted money in somewhat similar circumstances when I was in my 20s, too. I was never under water on any of them, but it was money wasted none the less.

Im actually not really upside down like I thought. They were able to offer me almost what i owed and with the rebates and discounts im coming out ok. Not near as bad as id expected. I should be signing paperwork tonight so we shall see

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Have you test driven this vehicle on a dark road at night? I had a dart rental not long ago, and found it to be a great car, quiet, comfortable, efficient, but the headlights were horrid.

Sorry, I doubt you'll be adding a touchscreen stereo (at least not a well integrated oem one), or a 1.4 engine in an econobox. It's just folly economically and from a time commitment basis.

But if you want to forego either based upon reliability, I'd say you're making a smart move.

If you're financing, you can't afford the car, so the last thing you want to do is make it less affordable with "upgrades". Unless you're upgrading headlights..

Sounds like you're making lemonade out of lemons as best as you can. Something about the deal sounds too good to be true, but assuming it's real and works out, it should take some concerns off your head, unless this one has issues too...

Good luck!

I know it is best to pay cash for that $20k car but I know very few people who don't finance a car. Even the $5000 beaters I drove as a kid were financed through a credit union.

Post some more pics when you get it, both inside and out. Dart is actually a nice looking car, IMO.

If i for sure get it and it works out i definitely will
smile.gif
im at the dealer now waiting for their finance guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back